NCWRC article on early spring turkey season

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
https://www.ncwildlife.org/Blog/why-not-open-wild-turkey-season-earlier

To align wild turkey hunting seasons in North Carolina with the second peak of gobbling when the majority of hens have begun incubation, Wildlife Commission biologists historically suggested opening the spring season statewide on the third Saturday of April. We concur with Kennamer’s conclusions published in 2006 that we should not gamble with the long-term health of North Carolina’s turkey population by opening the season earlier.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
yeah let's open it earlier , they weren't henned up bad enough last year. we need even more of a challenge. :)

honestly I don't care when they open it. I like going to other states before our season kicks in but could just as easily go other places after our season closes.
the gobbling survey that they are doing points towards supporting our current season.
I know some people get excited about this and have strong views on the subject. I do not.

good thread though CRC, it ought to get some wild variation of ideas.

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
I only have 2 seasons in NC under my belt so I don't have a lot of history to fall back on. Most of my hunting has been in the central and western parts of the state. The farthest east I've hunted has been on the pee dee river game lands. From what I've seen so far the season seems to be about right. I would imagine the turkeys would be a couple of weeks ahead the further south and east you go in the state so a split season might benefit the guys down east. Like oldest school I don't care when they open it I'm going to be hunting whenever I have an opportunity to get in the woods in the spring whether it's here in NC or another state that has an open season. I also believe that a turkey killer is going to kill no matter when they decide to open the season. A good turkey hunter adapts to what the turkeys are doing at any stage of the season.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I would never be for earlier season now open week later and you got my attention. This is all about biology and allowing majority of hens to be bred before season starts if you hunt the mtns you already know this is not case not uncommon for Toms to be with hens daylight till dark up into May and not just couple but many. Now eastern part state may be different it may be just right but at same time I'm not for split season either. For my 2 cents just do what is best for the population and I'll hunt and have ball doing it.