NCSU Wild Food Supper 2020

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Tickets at the door. There has been good crowds the last couple of years. Some of us will probably be there when the doors open and try to grab a couple of long tables for our group. I think some of the folks think we are a bunch of old bullies but nobody has tried to fight yet. If you actually think you will be able to make it, I'll make a sign to put on a chair just for you.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Well the wife is just messing with the whole boondoggle process, she suggested flying from Detroit to NC, hardly worth being called a boondoggle with that much thought put into it.
Its still in the works though, she hasn't had buyers remorse for saying yes yet

that only works if it's "planes, trains, and automobiles"!!

so plane from Detroit to DC
Train from DC to Raleigh
Rental to event
then return

can turn an easy one day commute each way into a 2 (maybe 3 if lucky) day each way event!!

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Train from DC to Raleigh

The train from DC to Raleigh is usually fine, but the train going north to DC is ALWAYS late. Be prepared for a possible 1.5 to 2 hour wait at the train station on the way back. Bring snacks, books, etc, whatever would help y'all pass the time.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
so since I have never been, and the guidance I got from the POC was vague, I have a question (lousy sentence construct I know)

how many people does my dish need to serve? How does it all work on the food side?

The instructions I got was "bring your dish but don't expect to have access to a receptacle for plugging in a crock pot or warmer,,,limited receptacles"

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I can't really tell you John. As a matter of fact, I don't think anyone in our group has ever carried a dish. What I've seen are just a regular crockpot thingy or a good sized tray. I believe the majority of the food is done by the club members on grills outside at the event from the meats that are donated. Probably, some of them pick up meat and take it home to cook something special but I don't know. I'm pretty sure there is an stove inside that something could be warmed on. Also I would guess, if an individual brings something it would not be put on the line till the judges had their chance at it.

After all my wild ramblings, plus I don't know who you have already contacted, you might send an email to moorman@ncsu.edu) and let him know you are with our group and the first time you have attended and ask his advise. He is the staff adviser for the club.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Here are some pic's of dishes from previous events

And YES!!! It gets crowded! I strongly advise to being there before the doors open to sit together.

Rats, I can only attach 4 per post :mad:

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I would liken the dish sizes similar to ones we bring to Conman's get together.

There is also a raffle afterwards that offers art work, physical work, etc that I have brought extra $ for and enjoyed what I got.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
sadly I am out - wife having knee replacement surgery that week and I will go on "chauffeur and honey-get-me" duty,,,

maybe next year

you all enjoy with out me,,,again

KrisB

Ten Pointer
I ordered some stuff for trapping beaver today, so the odds just went up that beaver stew and homemade bread will be featured.

But I know that is no consolation for missing out on Mrs. Woodmoose's homemade blackberry/blueberry pie! What an emotional rollercoaster!

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Tickets at the door. There has been good crowds the last couple of years. Some of us will probably be there when the doors open and try to grab a couple of long tables for our group. I think some of the folks think we are a bunch of old bullies but nobody has tried to fight yet. If you actually think you will be able to make it, I'll make a sign to put on a chair just for you.

wife , son and maybe a couple more will be there. Wayne gonna make it this year??? drag him if you have to.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
I can't really tell you John. As a matter of fact, I don't think anyone in our group has ever carried a dish. What I've seen are just a regular crockpot thingy or a good sized tray. I believe the majority of the food is done by the club members on grills outside at the event from the meats that are donated. Probably, some of them pick up meat and take it home to cook something special but I don't know. I'm pretty sure there is an stove inside that something could be warmed on. Also I would guess, if an individual brings something it would not be put on the line till the judges had their chance at it.

After all my wild ramblings, plus I don't know who you have already contacted, you might send an email to moorman@ncsu.edu) and let him know you are with our group and the first time you have attended and ask his advise. He is the staff adviser for the club.

This. Dish sizes just think about a standard potluck. If you enter it into the competition the judges get their samples first, then it’s put on the line. Sorry you can’t make it Woodmoose. Hope your wife’s surgery goes well.

ibgreen

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
sadly I am out - wife having knee replacement surgery that week and I will go on "chauffeur and honey-get-me" duty,,,

maybe next year

you all enjoy with out me,,,again
I am sorry to hear about the knee replacement surgery. I did hear somewhere that a treadmill can help out with the future recovery and also makes a wonderful Valentines gift.......

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I am sorry to hear about the knee replacement surgery. I did hear somewhere that a treadmill can help out with the future recovery and also makes a wonderful Valentines gift.......

thanks (nice try) but she already has one she doesn’t use

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Running this up the flagpole one more time to try and get a halfway accurate count on how many seats to try and hold for the dinner this Friday. I haven't heard from anyone new chiming in so it looks to be around 15 total attending from here. Since some said there were some "maybe's" on their list, how about confirming if you are coming with a total seats needed. Sure would be good if just a few of all the members in the Raleigh area would support this. There is always talk about the future of hunting and how important young people are. These are some of the most important young people to the process.

My wife and I will be there along with Mack's buddy Dwayne and I have it on good information that there will be international guests as well.