NCSU Scandal Thread

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
It's hilarious that we're still hashing this out. You guys are so bought into a lie from a reporter who was called out by the accreditor for being a liar, and who works for a newspaper who has to pay a multi-million $$$ libel lawsuit for lying, that you can't even accept the truth when it's sitting right in front of you.

The NCAA wrote the rules. There was no technicality when the rule itself defines that what UNC did WAS NOT against the rules. The NCAA also ruled that nothing in their investigation tied the athletic department into the creation and operation of these classes. Did they take advantage of these easy courses? Sure but again, refer to bylaw 16.02.3. I know the typical response being 'but, but, but UNC didn't show them all the material'. That is an illogical fallacy to the highest degree to assume that there is some golden nugget of information sitting out there with no proof to back it up whatsoever. You're simply chasing unicorns.

The proof is that with what was provided and the rules established at the time, UNC did not break any rules, did not get off on a technicality and did not cheat in the eyes of the NCAA. Those are facts!

Last edited:

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Is it correct to say that the university cheated?
Is there any proof that the university established these courses solely to gain a competitive edge in athletics? Wouldn't that be the definition of cheating? We've already established that there was a time after these courses were created that not one football or basketball athlete took them. That doesn't quite align with the idea that the university set out to cheat either, now does it?

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
That's not what you quoted when you questioned his IQ. What you responded to was 'beating a dead horse but there wasn't any technicality. No rules broken by the athletic department. Plain and simple'.

What he quoted per the rules creator and enforcer, is 100% correct.
Dang bbd you cant even get it right against a dummy like me ???? LMAO It is so funny that you think you are right so much when sooooo many times you are proven wrong the most on this forum. you cant make this stuff up.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
If the university and athletic dept did not cheat do all the employees and dept heads that got fired and paid for legal representation have grounds for a lawsuit?
They're not mutually exclusive. There is a 3rd option here that ABCers continuously avoid and that is that these courses were created solely within the confines of academia for the purpose of academia. In that regard, yes the courses were irregular and would justify the firings, however do not point to a systematic effort to cheat in athletics.

If Dan Kane lied, why didn’t they sue him for libel? Seems like suing him would have been easier than all the firings, legal fees, hush money and tarnish.
as you should know the flagship is a good steward of the State's money.
They had to waste so much treasure to dispute the witch hunt that they felt compelled to minimize their lawyer expense. ;)
All those with unc rancor should understand that the N&O is hardly objective. Look what they did to V.

They're not mutually exclusive. There is a 3rd option here that ABCers continuously avoid and that is that these courses were created solely within the confines of academia for the purpose of academia. In that regard, yes the courses were irregular and would justify the firings, however do not point to a systematic effort to cheat in athletics.
Do you agree that regular students at unc cheat typically graduate in the top 10% of their high school classes?

I think everyone here that can fog a mirror knows how hard it is to get into unc cheat. Even Mack with a 142 IQ, and relatives that went there, he settled on Elon.

So again, why have nonexistent courses for the brightest minds in America? I’m very interested in the explanation.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
So again, why have nonexistent courses for the brightest minds in America? I’m very interested in the explanation.
Why does Harvard offer a Witchcraft and Charm Magic course? Who the heck knows, one could assume many things however you still have offered no valid explanation as to why, as back up by facts and not assumptions, a course solely created for athletes went without enrolling athletes for some period of time.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Do you agree that regular students at unc cheat typically graduate in the top 10% of their high school classes?

I think everyone here that can fog a mirror knows how hard it is to get into unc cheat. Even Mack with a 142 IQ, and relatives that went there, he settled on Elon.

Um, I didn't settle for Elon. I had to work 30-40 hours a week plus I did not want to go to a big school. Don't try to think you know someones reasoning, it makes you look foolish.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Truth be told, there are very few folks these days that can say they attended or were accepted into UNC. In the past it was a bit more often due to the population being smaller. Population has grown much faster than the student population at our unis. I graduated from either a 3a or 4a high school. I don’t remember which because we bounced back and forth due to the student numbers going up and down. We only had 2 people accepted to UNC out of about 315 grads.

Fan police kill me. why is that such a issue? Did you go to.....? No? Well then you don't count....:LOL:
Why bother with promos if your only base is your alumni? who exactly are those billboards aimed at?
Does any school not want non alumni to support their team?
NC had zip for professional teams for decades, so people that were interested in sports aligned with a team.

UNC won : plus had a reputation thanks to Dean: to being progressive on race. So guess what?: There went the totality of one fan base into the unc supporters. A lot of poor white trash like myself (but not me) rolled all in for unc because occasionally they let in some rif raf (poor people) but hell they won. Why not pull for the yankess of the state?

The GOAT has leveled the action somewhat but it's not going to equal the flagship's support.
State is never (imo) going to get the minority fan base but will get all the waimarters they need once they win. That's all you have to do.

Till then it's going to be a team supported mostly by alum. The whole nation loves ncsu because of V and the constant promo of them on espn. If only they would win; you state alumni wouldn't be cussing walmarters.

You would be embracing them.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
State engineering students cheat like crazy. see https://www.cbe.ncsu.edu/bullard/ac...mic-integrity-minimizing-cheating-on-exams-1/

The one I used to post all the time has been deleted but had it had 1 in 6 cheat at ncsu
www4.ncsu.edu/unity/lockers/users/f/felder/public/Columns/Cheating.pdf
A: Will there be cheating in the course I'm about to teach? B: It depends. Will there be more than five students in the class?

Where is Kane on this atrocity ???

State engineering students cheat like crazy. see https://www.cbe.ncsu.edu/bullard/ac...mic-integrity-minimizing-cheating-on-exams-1/

The one I used to post all the time has been deleted but had it had 1 in 6 cheat at ncsu
A: Will there be cheating in the course I'm about to teach? B: It depends. Will there be more than five students in the class?

I think it's safe to say that just about any school will have students cheating, but to have the school cheating for the benefit of the students is hitting a new low.

23mako

Six Pointer
I think it's safe to say that just about any school will have students cheating, but to have the school cheating for the benefit of the students is hitting a new low.
Why is this so hard for people to understand? Hell I don't have a 142 IQ but I can easily see the difference bewtween individual students cheating to a whole academic department fraudulently handing out grades. :unsure:

Accrediting Body Places UNC on Probation

https://www.insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2015/06/12/accrediting-body-places-unc-probation

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill will not lose accreditation over the academic fraud that occurred there, but it will face one year of probation, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges announced Thursday. In October, the university released a detailed report about widespread and long-lasting academic fraud at the university. For 20 years, some employees at the university knowingly steered about 1,500 athletes toward no-show courses that never met and were not taught by any faculty members, and in which the only work required was a single research paper that received a high grade no matter the content.

BigBuckDown

Old Mossy Horns
Why is this so hard for people to understand? Hell I don't have a 142 IQ but I can easily see the difference bewtween individual students cheating to a whole academic department fraudulently handing out grades. :unsure:

Accrediting Body Places UNC on Probation

https://www.insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2015/06/12/accrediting-body-places-unc-probation

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill will not lose accreditation over the academic fraud that occurred there, but it will face one year of probation, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges announced Thursday. In October, the university released a detailed report about widespread and long-lasting academic fraud at the university. For 20 years, some employees at the university knowingly steered about 1,500 athletes toward no-show courses that never met and were not taught by any faculty members, and in which the only work required was a single research paper that received a high grade no matter the content.
But.... but.....but....

Unc didn't cheat.

Lol.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

23mako

Six Pointer

You can't possibly draw the conclusion that the link you posted is explicitly saying that engineering students at NCSU "cheat like crazy"

The link you posted is a resource for professors to use to help discourage cheating (not enable it like they did for years at UNC). It is more of a best practice than an explicit admission that NCSU engineering students are wholesale cheaters.

Is this the article you are referring to that said 1 in 6 NCSU engineering students cheat? https://www.researchgate.net/publication/290031710_How_to_stop_cheating_or_at_least_slow_it_down

If it is that article, then you can see any of his statistics about undergraduates are drawn from another study which is shown here: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/f9d2/1d9fba1cf02fed133e76708c02a91364a1b9.pdf

Any discussion about cheating by NCSU engineering students in Mr. Felder's article refer to the fact that the cheaters were caught and held accountable.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
You can't possibly draw the conclusion that the link you posted is explicitly saying that engineering students at NCSU "cheat like crazy"

The link you posted is a resource for professors to use to help discourage cheating (not enable it like they did for years at UNC). It is more of a best practice than an explicit admission that NCSU engineering students are wholesale cheaters.

Is this the article you are referring to that said 1 in 6 NCSU engineering students cheat? https://www.researchgate.net/publication/290031710_How_to_stop_cheating_or_at_least_slow_it_down

If it is that article, then you can see any of his statistics about undergraduates are drawn from another study which is shown here: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/f9d2/1d9fba1cf02fed133e76708c02a91364a1b9.pdf

Any discussion about cheating by NCSU engineering students in Mr. Felder's article refer to the fact that the cheaters were caught and held accountable.
It says at least 16 percent do......that seems way high to me. The first time caught they are warned....

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
It WASN'T "for the benefit of the students" AT ALL.

It was for the "Glory and HONOR" (LOLZ) of the $chool and their $port$ program$.
It wa$ "the carolina way". (LOLZ)
The only benefits the students got were that a very small % got million $$ $alarie$ to play in the nfl and nba.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
I am reminded of this scene ... laws, jurisdiction, morality, ethics ... not necessarily the same.

unc broke no ncaa rules ...