NCSU or UNCP

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Thank you for service.

When I applied to NCSU in late 2003, I didn't receive my acceptance letter until April 2004. I say that to say, don't sweat it. If they took a chance on me, you're definitely going to be accepted.

If our family could stomach city/near city life, I'd apply to attend again.

Younger me enjoyed college life, not so much college. Older/post military me would like to kick younger me in the nuts, and tell him not to be such a prick.

I can't speak for UNCP, but I can attest to the connections and resources NCSU had 15 years ago(which I'm sure have only gotten better.) Connections and resources I took for granted.

In one class, Zoology, the top student of the semester received an all expenses paid trip to Africa for a summer of excavation.

As many have said, networking is just as important. I'm learning that in the after-corps.

My failures at NCSU were my own, and 100% my doing. Having said that; I'd apply again, in a heartbeat, if I lived anywhere near it.

Good luck, and pursue your passion. You're retired. Do Nothing or do more. Either way, you're going to enjoy it. Lol.

Jawbone

Button Buck
Thanks for all of the info! I have officially received acceptance to both schools and have picked NCSU. It’s been a rough road but I feel that I have made the right decision, I don’t want to take anything away from UNCP as they are a good school and have a solid biology program and I am lucky to be accepted by them. I’m excited to get started, January can’t get here fast enough but I’m sure it will be a difficult 2 years especially with a family. As a BAMA fan of 40 years it’s hard to say but....

Go Pack!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Congratulations! I agree, you absolutely made the right decision.

2 years in college(with a family) is quite a task, but having a family is honestly one of the best motivators.... or at least is was for me.

I went every day for 2 years, M-F, 8am-2pm... Fall, Spring, and Summer.. It was hard at times, but failing in front of my boys would have been harder.

Sit in the front, raise your hand as often as you need to, don't completely dismiss the teenagers(they're more used to school than you are, and that can sometimes be helpful,) challenge yourself, and don't get comfortable. Even after you've completed your homework for the evening, studying over the days lessons is helpful. It'll cut down on test-stress later on, especially for those pop quizzes.

Though you're there for your education, don't be resistant to helping others(it will be noticed,) but don't neglect yourself(you're essentially competing with your hiring pool.)

Good luck! Keep the thread going. Looking forward to reading your updates. Enjoy the upcoming holidays, your next few are booked cramming for exams.

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Congrats and thanks for your service! A lot has changed since I got my Fish and Wildlife Management degree 24 years ago, but some have stayed the same. As others have said, get involved in hands on projects to get experience. The Leopold Wildlife Club is great way to access many opportunities. Ask your adviser about independent study courses you maybe able to get credit for. Maybe able to get some credit closer to home to save a travel day to Raleigh.

Jawbone

Button Buck
Thanks for all of the encouragement! Hopefully I’ll know my schedule sometime next week.

Question for the guys who have already graduated. I feel like I am the only one that is not good at math. I fairly certain I have completed all of my math courses except calculus 131. If anyone else has struggled with it what are some things you guys have done that ensured your success?

duck1996

Button Buck
Thanks for all of the encouragement! Hopefully I’ll know my schedule sometime next week.

Question for the guys who have already graduated. I feel like I am the only one that is not good at math. I fairly certain I have completed all of my math courses except calculus 131. If anyone else has struggled with it what are some things you guys have done that ensured your success?

First off, thanks for you service and congratulations on getting accepted to the greatest school in the State!

I didnt get a degree in wildlife, and my degree only required CALC 121, but they are very similar classes. I had trouble too, and I can assure you that you will not be the only one struggling. They have a fantastic tutorial center that is very helpful. You have a few requirements you have to meet first, like attend an info session but all of that will be on MyPack Portal and most likely announced the first day of class. If not, PM me when the semester starts and I'll tell you better how to access it. My teacher also had 3 TA's that all held office hours to help also. Biggest thing that helped me was printing off all the problems before I went to class and writing everything the teacher did down.

Also don't be afraid to raise your hand and ask questions like has been said. I never had a teacher that genuinely didn't want to help.

You can also PM me at any time for help with anything, my brother and quite a few of my friends still go there if ya need anything at all.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Jawbone

Button Buck
First off, thanks for you service and congratulations on getting accepted to the greatest school in the State!

I didnt get a degree in wildlife, and my degree only required CALC 121, but they are very similar classes. I had trouble too, and I can assure you that you will not be the only one struggling. They have a fantastic tutorial center that is very helpful. You have a few requirements you have to meet first, like attend an info session but all of that will be on MyPack Portal and most likely announced the first day of class. If not, PM me when the semester starts and I'll tell you better how to access it. My teacher also had 3 TA's that all held office hours to help also. Biggest thing that helped me was printing off all the problems before I went to class and writing everything the teacher did down.

Also don't be afraid to raise your hand and ask questions like has been said. I never had a teacher that genuinely didn't want to help.

You can also PM me at any time for help with anything, my brother and quite a few of my friends still go there if ya need anything at all.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Thanks! I appreciate it.