Nchuntandfish deer drive?

jcannon

Twelve Pointer
I was wondering if any of yall would be interested in getting a deer drive together before the end of the season? I have about 400 acres, but it is bow only right now so that won't work. Gamelands, probably in the Central Season , would probably be the best bet and it would be a good reason for some of us to get together and shoot the bull. What do you think?

Dutchrunner

Button Buck
Think it’s illegal to do drives on GL... at least some of them (perhaps all)
I’m a solo hunter, usually hunt with my bow and haven’t done any type of drive in years. However, I have not read this regulation. Can you please give insight or direct me to a page number?

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
As I said “think”.. don’t hunt GL much so unsure.

Just seems it would be a law to keep from chaos on GL but I may be totally wrong

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
No, it isn't illegal to drive GL, or many of them anyway, man drives that is.

I dont think you can do it on Roanoke River GL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I hinted there for years and with the permits and no where is it listed as being illegal to do man deer drives. Heck there used to be guys that would dog hunt it, and nothing was ever said to them. You would see them ride up the river with their dogs on the front of the boat and they would turn em loose at the top end of the tract and have other parties stationed elsewhere on the tract on stands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
We talked about having a NC hunt & Fish dog drive a few years ago but never got it off the ground. It’s a little late notice for me to make it this year but if it goes well and y’all do it again next year I defiantly will try to make it. What GL are you thinking of ?

jcannon

Twelve Pointer
We talked about having a NC hunt & Fish dog drive a few years ago but never got it off the ground. It’s a little late notice for me to make it this year but if it goes well and y’all do it again next year I defiantly will try to make it. What GL are you thinking of ?
I'm up for almost anything if it's not too long of a drive. I'd just like to get out and do a good deer drive somewhere that has a decent deer population.

cmcarter

Six Pointer
My buddies and I have talked about doing a drive or wind bump at Jordan and Chatham.
Can’t say I trust just anyone to do a deer drive with, have 3 people including me right now, but if we established clear lines of what’s acceptable and not I think it would be fun with more folks.

ditchbank

Banned

I hinted there for years and with the permits and no where is it listed as being illegal to do man deer drives. Heck there used to be guys that would dog hunt it, and nothing was ever said to them. You would see them ride up the river with their dogs on the front of the boat and they would turn em loose at the top end of the tract and have other parties stationed elsewhere on the tract on stands

That’s illegal also, I know because we encountered the GW one year after doing it and he said it was illegal and was glad he didn’t catch us. That was on Conine (spl) Island tract.

ditchbank

Banned
I’ll meet y’all at a restaurant for breakfast or lunch when you get done![emoji51]

Me to I’m not walking out blocks woth people I don’t know. Me and buddies do it from time to time late season but I will not walk towards anyone I don’t know really good knowing they have a shotgun waiting on me at the other side. Not talking about anyone up here, but I don’t personally know 75% of you and I’m just not walking through the woods towards a man with gun that I have never met. PERIOD!!

MoBucks

Old Mossy Horns
I’ll meet y’all at a restaurant for breakfast or lunch when you get done![emoji51]

Me to I’m not walking out blocks woth people I don’t know. Me and buddies do it from time to time late season but I will not walk towards anyone I don’t know really good knowing they have a shotgun waiting on me at the other side. Not talking about anyone up here, but I don’t personally know 75% of you and I’m just not walking through the woods towards a man with gun that I have never met. PERIOD!!

That..... and no way to know if anyone else is on those gamelands hunting already... .... too many variables that may just end up with the wrong kind of blood trail

ditchbank

Banned

That’s illegal also, I know because we encountered the GW one year after doing it and he said it was illegal and was glad he didn’t catch us. That was on Conine (spl) Island tract.

Now I have just read the entire rules and I think the GW was full of crap. I didn’t see anything saying you couldn’t do it. I know my buddy got in trouble for fixing up the shelter just past the bus. He went there with new wood and nails and had that thing right. He got busted for using a chainsaw to cut up firewood for camp. And he got a ticket for baiting two weeks prior to hunting there. He was himself dumb to all
The rules and didn’t know you couldn’t bait, but man all of this was back in the 90s when no one hunted up there. It was a tradition to go every year for nearly a decade.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns

Well in the 16 years we hunted down there we never saw anyone get busted. We were hunting the state owned tracts so they may have been different from the federal tracts

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns

Now I have just read the entire rules and I think the GW was full of crap. I didn’t see anything saying you couldn’t do it. I know my buddy got in trouble for fixing up the shelter just past the bus. He went there with new wood and nails and had that thing right. He got busted for using a chainsaw to cut up firewood for camp. And he got a ticket for baiting two weeks prior to hunting there. He was himself dumb to all
The rules and didn’t know you couldn’t bait, but man all of this was back in the 90s when no one hunted up there. It was a tradition to go every year for nearly a decade.

We hunted deveraux swamp since the first hunts they ever had up there. We hunted brown gut mainly (just up from the school bus) and eventually found better spots farther up river. We never used a chain saw for wood so I don’t know about why that would be illegal. The baiting I can see being illegal and honestly we never found a need to, all we did was find oaks that were dropping and hunted there. We only ever saw the game warden up there once or twice in the almost 2 decades we hunted, and those times were always on Conoho farms.