NC WildLife Hunter Safety Touraments

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
We were at Rose Hill yesterday. Was cold in the morning but by awards time the temp was nice. That location is very nice for the event. Roanoke Rapids didn't bring home many awards but we had a good time. Congratulations to Princeton High and Middle school. Those kids put on a clinic with all the trophies they gathered. They needed a wheelbarrow to get them all to the parking lot.

Reactions: TKL

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
2 weeks ago District 7 held theirs. I coach Iredell- Statesville School's team

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Our Mount Pleasant Middle School Team 1 is going to States. They finished 3rd overall in a competitive district 6 on Saturday. We also had an individual from our HS team shoot a perfect 200 on archery, so he will go as an individual, I believe.

Based on last year's results, the scores are highly variable among districts. Our team finished 3rd in our district, but 12th statewide in the junior division.

Reactions: TKL

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Congrats!!! Iredell will be back in form for next year so watch out. (We had a coach pass away suddenly and our team suffered this past season)

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Hoping for some blue skys for you all. I remember shooting down there a few times and it seemed like it was always a downpour type of weekend.

I remember our first trip to Ellerbe. We had 4 6th graders and that was it. We didnt do too well…but somehow out of the blue won the muzzleloader competition.

We had another year in high school where everyone was struggling with shotguns that day. I mean like scores in the 12-13 range. They messed up on scoring for the last 4-5 rounds. We brought it up and they could not figure out the mistake. I believe they forgot to rotate us or something like that. We had to shoot again…and that round put 3 guys in the shootoff and I think the other was a 19.

State tournament is tough. You have to have a good team to even be competitive.

Even as an individual, you have to have a good team on orienteering. You can do well on the rest of the day, but those feet in orienteering can turn a great day into a lesser day in a skinny minute.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Even as an individual, you have to have a good team on orienteering. You can do well on the rest of the day, but those feet in orienteering can turn a great day into a lesser day in a skinny minute.

Our boys missed it by 32 feet last year. Don't know what happened. But hopefully they'll do better this year.

I hope our boys do well. We'll see how it shakes out.

My son is shooting archery and will be test taking and he's the stump on the orienteering part. He's the biggest one on the team and they make him the stump. It just tickles me :ROFLMAO:

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Our boys missed it by 32 feet last year. Don't know what happened. But hopefully they'll do better this year.

I hope our boys do well. We'll see how it shakes out.

My son is shooting archery and will be test taking and he's the stump on the orienteering part. He's the biggest one on the team and they make him the stump. It just tickles me :ROFLMAO:

I was always curious how they make the orienteering courses. None of the officers would ever tell me. We had years we were off by inches….i think one year we were off by 80’ or something. It was always a crap shoot.

I know the ones they used to make in practice were shot with a compass and pulled with a tape. You would really have to use a better instrument. The year we were off by a LONG ways I ran it again after the competition and came within about 4 ft of where we were originally. I think something was up on that one.

Lowg08

Ten Pointer
We were off 21’ last year but one of the coaches from another team told us to protest. It would have put us in 3rd overall but how can you know.

TKL

Four Pointer
Congratulations to all the winning teams that have ties to this forum! It was once again a great treat for me to see all those kids competing today!