NC Whitetail Records

Sp8

Ten Pointer
Does anyone know where I can look and find the history of the state record deer killed? My dad showed me a picture of a deer that was killed by a cousin of ours back in the 50s and said he was always told it was the first NC state record buck. I would like to have some hard evidence on that or disprove it. Either way it was a nice looking buck for those times.

Sp8

Ten Pointer
was it ever scored? If so, what was the score? if not, get it scored and that will tell the tale.

if never scored the whole "first NC state record buck" is suspect, as the only way to tell is to score it. But if it's a nice one, that gave them local bragging rights anyhow

B&C entries for NC go back to 1940s or before

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/d1f817_fc9f97d8a3724be3811b1749aa1b336e.pdf
Thank you Woodmoose! I found it on page 2 #24 Kendrick Speights killed in 1958 scored in 1981 169 0/8

Sp8

Ten Pointer
Here's the picture
ea2d5c610c2f292af5e48f47fa7fb88b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
Anybody see Richard Beasley #155/156 exact same score deer several years apart... incredible coincidence or he had same deer scored again? Either way thought it interesting And either really cool for him or " holy crap I knew this was bigger than that one i killed a few years ago". Anyone know the story!?

Sp8

Ten Pointer
Is that a 169" 8-point?
Looks like an 8pt the best I can tell. Dad said it was killed close to Morrow Mountain in a hunt club called Miller Town Hunt club. My great uncle is in the picture and Kendrick was a cousin.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
A couple areas of eastern NC (Holly Shelter WMA and Croatan NF) were stocked with deer from outside sources.

The deer in the Morrow Mtn area came from stocking in 1945 and the season was closed for 10 years in that area. Deer imported from Michigan and stocked on the RJ Reynolds Jr estate in Surry County were used in many WRC stockings including those in Stanly County in 1945.

Sp8

Ten Pointer
A couple areas of eastern NC (Holly Shelter WMA and Croatan NF) were stocked with deer from outside sources.

The deer in the Morrow Mtn area came from stocking in 1945 and the season was closed for 10 years in that area. Deer imported from Michigan and stocked on the RJ Reynolds Jr estate in Surry County were used in many WRC stockings including those in Stanly County in 1945.
I don't think the season was closed for 10 years either that or the stocking date of 1945 is wrong. If you look down the typical list Hoyle Poplin killed a buck in Stanly county in 1951 scored 168. Hoyles place is only about 4 miles from Morrow Mountain. I highly doubt it would be counted in the B&C if it was killed during a closed year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: CRC

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I believe I read the deer refuge where they were stocked (now the Uwharrie National Forest) was closed for 10 years before hunting was allowed there. I assume the wildlife folks did that to allow the deer herd to build up and expand throughout the Uwharrie Mtns.

Not sure about the surrounding private land. But it would help explain why two big bucks were killed in 1951 and 1958 respectively.

1945 was indeed the year the Uwharries got their deer herd restored.

The Uwharrie Wildlife Management Area covers 13,000 acres and, as a result of stocking in 1945, boasts a large deer population.

https://www.ncpedia.org/uwharrie-national-forest

HERE YOU GO:

"By 1949 small parts of Montgomery and Stanly Counties were opened to deer hunting. But no deer hunting was allowed in the Uwharrie Reservation until 1954 and Morrow Mountain State Park of course has been kept closed to hunting, as are all state parks."

Last stocking of deer: March 20th, 1945. 123 deer stocked total.

Last edited:

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
The guy on the left with the other buck must have felt like I do every time I go to the processor. Wow, got a nice buck only to get back to camp or the processor’s parking lot to find that there’s a much bigger one there!

That is a cool photo and a nice buck.

Seeing photos like this also remind me that it doesn’t take the latest Sitka gear, the On X app, scent blocker, Lone Wolf climbing stand or saddle hunting system, automatic feeders, cellular trail cams or the fanciest rifle to be successful, just good woodsmanship!

Ambush

Twelve Pointer
The guy on the left with the other buck must have felt like I do every time I go to the processor. Wow, got a nice buck only to get back to camp or the processor’s parking lot to find that there’s a much bigger one there!

Me too. I killed a nice 8 pointer one year and I was taking photos. 15 minutes later another member rolled up with a 138" eight pointer.:)

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
We got some pictures from the 70s and 80s in the club houses around here of deer upwards of 150. They say they used to kill them like it every year.

klim

Twelve Pointer
Their was a stud killed up around Gates County in the early 2000s. I remember reading the article in North Carolina Sportsman Mag. If not mistaken, the guy who killed it last name was Parker. He seen it while on his a tractor killed it with a shotgun.