NC Surf Fishing Tips

ECU_Pirate

Banned
Is this what a river rig looks like?

Yep, that's it. I don't use a swivel but I doubt it hurts. Only time it might matter is when your pompano fishing and the water is super clear. But even then a small swivel wouldn't hurt if I had to guess.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Dont have to worry about that here south of the cape fear. Its either coffee or tea...rarely clear

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Dont have to worry about that here south of the cape fear. Its either coffee or tea...rarely clear

It’s amazing how the water clarity differs from north to south of the cape fear for sure. I have gigged just several miles north of the mouth in bathtub clear water.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
It’s amazing how the water clarity differs from north to south of the cape fear for sure. I have gigged just several miles north of the mouth in bathtub clear water.

Yep, people claim to be able to gig fish in 5ft+ deep water north of the cape fear. I will say ive saw more fish in the 2 weeks ive spent in topsail than years on oak island/holden beach.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Going to use that River rig this summer. Good stuff!

It’s a good rig. I really like Jerry(river) as well. He’s as good a guy as you’ll want to meet, but you can tie your own for a fraction of the price. Again though, River is good people and I have a lot of respect for him. He knows his fish.

ECU_Pirate

Banned
It’s a good rig. I really like Jerry(river) as well. He’s as good a guy as you’ll want to meet, but you can tie your own for a fraction of the price. Again though, River is good people and I have a lot of respect for him. He knows his fish.

Yea I bought one just to learn how to tie it. He is on another fishing forum and said he would have just told me and I didn't need to buy. Don't really think he cares if it gets shared. Otherwise I wouldn't have.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
The puffers are on the southern half of the NC coast. Know a few guys that have already caught a bunch.

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Anyone been to the jetties at Macon since the hurricane last year? It’s been several years since I been out there and wonder how much the coast line has changed.

23mako

Ten Pointer
The last time I was at Fort Macon the jetties were almost completely under sand. Still a good place to catch blues and spanish though. Wish they would open the gate sooner.

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Heading to the coast in a couple weeks. I hear the bite is starting to heat up for most all species. What size spanish/flounder have any of you guys caught so far in the surf? I was wondering if the big flounder are starting to move inshore or inside yet.

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Tough day in Wrightsville Beach but managed to haul in a few. Water is murky.., hoping it clears up in the morning. Landed several undersized Spanish. Looks like storms will be moving in starting tomorrow. I caught these using a 1 oz white/blue head gotcha plug.

billyearl

Six Pointer
Contributor
Man I have an arsenal of gear dedicated to all manor of surf fishing. the one thing a vast majority of people I see surf fishing is over throwing the fish. I have poles all the way up to 15' Hatteras heavers, they all have their place and uses but I have prob caught more fish on a essentially a heavy bass set up. 6-7' medium/ heavy fast action rod throwing jigs and carolina rigged mud minnows between the bar and the beach.
[50 years ago I used to cast way out yonder. Never caught much. Now I use my bass tackle to flip a live minner or strip of cut bait out just past the suds. That's where the fiah wanting to get caught are feeding. It's really fun to walk under the lines of anchored Heavers, cast out about 30 feet, and pull in nice flatties ...