NC Surf Fishing Tips

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
totally irrelevant to the thread but that statement is false.

So there are more places in NC with wild pheasants? I use to see them on the outer banks around Oregon Inlet but its been a while since ive seen one there.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
What we need to do after most the hunting is over next February maybe March is to have a little meet and greet someplace and people can bring gear out. We could do it at a few big parks or even ball fields or the likes.
Set up, demo some casting, let people try gear learn from having it in hand then go get what they feel is best and would work for them....
I will supply casting lead for those that don't have heavy stuff or wide enough assortments and help with feeding lunch.

What say you.
Could even have a setup fo used gear and do a yard sale.

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I’m no stranger to surf fishing but would love to see different tackle rig types and surf outfits. I’d like to start making my own fishing rigs for different species.

ECU_Pirate

Banned
I tie all my own rigs now. After doing lots of research online and tying several different kinds i settles on one for sea mullet, pompano, and puppy drum. It also happens to be the simplest, easiest, and fastest one to tie for me. I also out catch my dad pretty much every trip now. My brother, who gets all his stuff from me or my dad only wants my rigs now.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
What are we fishing for? Where we fishing at?

I dont fish the same island for the same fish the same way let alone generalize it.

I’ve got rods anywhere from a 7’ M fresh water spinning rod that I got in the bargain cave at Cabelas for $40 to $650 13’ CTS customs. They’ve all got a purpose. I also make sure to have a ton of pretied rigs but keep a variety of line with me to modify rigs to match what’s going on. Catching sea mullet on top hook only? Let me tie a new rig where the bottom hook is as high as the top hook was, and put another hook higher to see if that’s going to get my 2fers.

I probably over complicate it, but I’m always searching unless I’m catching. Not going to sit and wait.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
What we need to do after most the hunting is over next February maybe March is to have a little meet and greet someplace and people can bring gear out. We could do it at a few big parks or even ball fields or the likes.
Set up, demo some casting, let people try gear learn from having it in hand then go get what they feel is best and would work for them....
I will supply casting lead for those that don't have heavy stuff or wide enough assortments and help with feeding lunch.

What say you.
Could even have a setup fo used gear and do a yard sale.

Or...sign up for one of the oak island fishing schools. They dont really talk about surf but give lots of info for $65/ a goody bag and lunch....oh yeah a TON of door prizes

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Anyone want to share specs/pics on homemade rigs that has worked well for certain species?

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
What are we fishing for? Where we fishing at?

I dont fish the same island for the same fish the same way let alone generalize it.

I’ve got rods anywhere from a 7’ M fresh water spinning rod that I got in the bargain cave at Cabelas for $40 to $650 13’ CTS customs. They’ve all got a purpose. I also make sure to have a ton of pretied rigs but keep a variety of line with me to modify rigs to match what’s going on. Catching sea mullet on top hook only? Let me tie a new rig where the bottom hook is as high as the top hook was, and put another hook higher to see if that’s going to get my 2fers.

I probably over complicate it, but I’m always searching unless I’m catching. Not going to sit and wait.

I hear ya... you sound like me chasing whitetails!

Last edited:

witler

Eight Pointer
I tie all my own rigs now. After doing lots of research online and tying several different kinds i settles on one for sea mullet, pompano, and puppy drum. It also happens to be the simplest, easiest, and fastest one to tie for me. I also out catch my dad pretty much every trip now. My brother, who gets all his stuff from me or my dad only wants my rigs now.
Don't leave us hanging..What rigs do you tie?

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Witler, at one time Chris Medlin at East Coasts Sports in Surf City had a video on his site showing how to tie a mullet rig, types of hooks, etc. He came by one day as I was set up fishing, had caught some nice mullet and he picked my mind & videoed it. Never knew he was going to post it. Google East Coast Sports fishing reports and it probably still on there. They closed down till the spring...had damage from Florence...they located behind the new bridge built over the waterway....I have some citation mullet that got registered there.

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Witler, at one time Chris Medlin at East Coasts Sports in Surf City had a video on his site showing how to tie a mullet rig, types of hooks, etc. He came by one day as I was set up fishing, had caught some nice mullet and he picked my mind & videoed it. Never knew he was going to post it. Google East Coast Sports fishing reports and it probably still on there. They closed down till the spring...had damage from Florence...they located behind the new bridge built over the waterway....I have some citation mullet that got registered there.

Were you using sand fleas?

ECU_Pirate

Banned
I tie what is called a river rig. Developed by a guy that goes by the name River on another fishing forum. It came recommended by a lot of people. They sell them down in the local shops on the OBX. It is stupid simple, and it produces. You just get a piece of about 4-6 feet leader material. Usually fluoro from 15-30 lb depending on species. Tie a triple surgeon loop in one end leaving a tag end anywhere from 12-24 inches. Do the same thing on the other end. Use one loop to connect to main line. (I do this by just tying a loop in the main line and going loop to loop with the leader). The other loop is for the sinker. Attach hooks to the tag ends. If fishing for sea mullet or pompano i use number 2-4 circles depending on brand. For puppies I use number 1 or bigger circles. I used to tie my own double dropper rigs. Took way longer and didnt produce as much fish. The river rig works great and can be tied within minutes. People vary the lengths on the tag ends but in general you want them longer.

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I tie what is called a river rig. Developed by a guy that goes by the name River on another fishing forum. It came recommended by a lot of people. They sell them down in the local shops on the OBX. It is stupid simple, and it produces. You just get a piece of about 4-6 feet leader material. Usually fluoro from 15-30 lb depending on species. Tie a triple surgeon loop in one end leaving a tag end anywhere from 12-24 inches. Do the same thing on the other end. Use one loop to connect to main line. (I do this by just tying a loop in the main line and going loop to loop with the leader). The other loop is for the sinker. Attach hooks to the tag ends. If fishing for sea mullet or pompano i use number 2-4 circles depending on brand. For puppies I use number 1 or bigger circles. I used to tie my own double dropper rigs. Took way longer and didnt produce as much fish. The river rig works great and can be tied within minutes. People vary the lengths on the tag ends but in general you want them longer.

Thanks for sharing the rig info! I’ll have to try this out.

ECU_Pirate

Banned
Surf fishing at Topsail. Summer months and on into fall they best bait when you can find them. Reds will key on them too.

I always use fleas when I can get them. If you can't catch them on fleas or shrimp they ain't biting or your in the wrong spot.

ECU_Pirate

Banned
For big drum I just tie a cannon ball rig. The leader is tied straight to the hook. Sinker slide goes right on the leader, it can slide all the way to the hook. This rig gives you maximum casting distance and I haven't had a problem with hookups or spit hooks yet.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
ECU-Pirate, you are dead on, fleas fresh shrimp when they are biting and you are where they are at....will catch fish we are targeting over any other bait I have tried. I catch fleas in the summer and take them to kitchen, boil pot of water, drop them in for just few seconds, let them cool, put in freezer bags into freezer. When Dec.- Jan. rolls around take couple bags with me and catch some of the biggest mullet of year on them. When they thaw out mullet bite them just like a live one...no difference. Old timer told me that years ago....never forget one cold January day sitting beside him and he giving me fleas he had boiled and pulling in mullet in that cold surf. This guy carried a 5 gal. bucket and one old rod and knew the water and would catch 2 to my 1 all day, and got schooled every time I would go with him. Another thing about big mullet, use a small hook that you can hide in that flea, and not too shinny, big...that will put fish in the cooler over a hook that like a stainless bright silver. He would go to Florida in the winter and catch mullet 16-17" for days.

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
ECU-Pirate, you are dead on, fleas fresh shrimp when they are biting and you are where they are at....will catch fish we are targeting over any other bait I have tried. I catch fleas in the summer and take them to kitchen, boil pot of water, drop them in for just few seconds, let them cool, put in freezer bags into freezer. When Dec.- Jan. rolls around take couple bags with me and catch some of the biggest mullet of year on them. When they thaw out mullet bite them just like a live one...no difference. Old timer told me that years ago....never forget one cold January day sitting beside him and he giving me fleas he had boiled and pulling in mullet in that cold surf. This guy carried a 5 gal. bucket and one old rod and knew the water and would catch 2 to my 1 all day, and got schooled every time I would go with him. Another thing about big mullet, use a small hook that you can hide in that flea, and not too shinny, big...that will put fish in the cooler over a hook that like a stainless bright silver. He would go to Florida in the winter and catch mullet 16-17" for days.

This type of tactic is the whole reason I started this thread. Never thought about boiling & freezing the fleas I have caught for later use. Thanks!

ECU_Pirate

Banned

I have been told about boiling the fleas before. I have no doubt it works, I've just been to lazy to try. Might make an effort to do it this year.

ECU_Pirate

Banned

DP

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Anyone want to share specs/pics on homemade rigs that has worked well for certain species?

0da532c76550d0908c54708e65293596.jpg

Fish bite and a little plastic. This was behind a 1oz Carolina rig.
Pretty universal surf rig for me.
I like gulp products to.
When the chopper blues run the surf in the summer and schooling aggressive I love a big zarspook and storm suspending baits.

A regular bottom rig is tried and true.

But a Carolina rig works best for me. Seems to roll into pockets and ditches better. With all size hooks and bait. Biggest drum I ever caught was on a half crab with a 6o circle hook. But we were targeting big reds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ECU_Pirate

Banned
0da532c76550d0908c54708e65293596.jpg

Fish bite and a little plastic. This was behind a 1oz Carolina rig.
Pretty universal surf rig for me.
I like gulp products to.
When the chopper blues run the surf in the summer and schooling aggressive I love a big zarspook and storm suspending baits.

A regular bottom rig is tried and true.

But a Carolina rig works best for me. Seems to roll into pockets and ditches better. With all size hooks and bait. Biggest drum I ever caught was on a half crab with a 6o circle hook. But we were targeting big reds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That reminds me of a good tip. You always want your rig to be moving a little. Don't use to heavy a weight that it just stays in one spot. A lot of time a weight that will role every so often will eventually find a hole, trench, ledge or whatever small structure the fish are holding on. You don't want your stuff washing down the beach, but a little movement is a good thing. I've had many times where my weight would be rolling every now and then and when it got to a certain spot it would get hit.