NC Shutdown

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
the SC govenor referred to activity that was observed that forced the closures. Kinda sad they couldnt just control the activity.
whatever that might have been.

Sounds like he heard one horror story or two of overcrowding and went from there.
he just made outlaws out of a lot of folks.
Rumour is, people have been observed speeding and racing on public roads in SC. Maybe he needs to close them too

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
there is no behavior too risky for a green carp. Just sayin. :)

Yeah, apparently the bass boys here feel the same way.

Saw an older guy jump a wake and go airborne because he didn't want to slow down. Another ran between us and a tiny jon boat 30 yards away, washing him up against the docks, when he had 200 yards wide open on the other side. I tried to flag a third one down as he passed us on plane with one of his power poles fully deployed. Not sure what that does to it, but it was bending pretty good.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah, apparently the bass boys here feel the same way.

Saw an older guy jump a wake and go airborne because he didn't want to slow down. Another ran between us and a tiny jon boat 30 yards away, washing him up against the docks, when he had 200 yards wide open on the other side. I tried to flag a third one down as he passed us on plane with one of his power poles fully deployed. Not sure what that does to it, but it was bending pretty good.
cant defend the indefensible boat antics by "bass boys".
But you should hear their versions of the other boaters.
all depends on our bias as to who is the poorest boat operators.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’m just playing devil’s advocate. I lived in Charleston for a few years, and I don’t condone closing the ramps.

But.... nearly every time I put my boat in the water, I purchased fuel (touching the pumps). I bought ice, beer and snacks (touching things in the store). Sometimes, I bought tackle (same thing).

Just saying.....it’s not like it’s not promoting contact points.

I’m still against closing the ramps.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I’m just playing devil’s advocate. I lived in Charleston for a few years, and I don’t condone closing the ramps.

But.... nearly every time I put my boat in the water, I purchased fuel (touching the pumps). I bought ice, beer and snacks (touching things in the store). Sometimes, I bought tackle (same thing).

good points and risk free way is to shut it down. easy to sideline the decisions we dont agree with. and i surely dont agree with this one. We might have a different perspective as a governor.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It is so incredibly stupid. None of this has any impact on the spread of a virus.
unless they are letting multiple strangers fish on the party barge...and don't push the one's that are coughing off the boat.....then they may be spreading the virus. :)

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
What I understand is some states are closing the ramps due to the bass and catfish groups still holding tournaments and the ramp was the meeting point and weigh in. Several were ask to not do it but still chose to run them.
There was a lot of talk SC did it for that reason and is coming to NC do to the influx of people going to boundry lakes to launch.
That just feed back from someone that talked to NCWRC trying to keep a guide service open and active talk on Youtube shows.
Sounds like it could come to NC soon.

I called NCWRC to ask about closing the ramps at gaston and they would not comment. They did say if we had a private ramp or dock they could not stop you from fishing on the lake.

chef

Ten Pointer
What I understand is some states are closing the ramps due to the bass and catfish groups still holding tournaments and the ramp was the meeting point and weigh in. Several were ask to not do it but still chose to run them.
There was a lot of talk SC did it for that reason and is coming to NC do to the influx of people going to boundry lakes to launch.
That just feed back from someone that talked to NCWRC trying to keep a guide service open and active talk on Youtube shows.
Sounds like it could come to NC soon.

I called NCWRC to ask about closing the ramps at gaston and they would not comment. They did say if we had a private ramp or dock they could not stop you from fishing on the lake.
So glad and so thankful for soft tyranny.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
So hammer those clowns and leave the rest of us alone. Are we back in the 3rd grade now? I see bait cups on native trout streams all the time,. but I still expect to be allowed to fish. That is the job of enforcement. Check my licence and then leave me alone, and go after the violators

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Some of that is habit. I hate buying overpriced drinks and snacks from the convenience store. I like to have everything I need before I leave the house.

Last two trips: No stopping for fuel, ice, bait, tackle, drinks or snacks. My only stop was Bojangles drive-thru. Gotta support them ya know. :)

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
So glad and so thankful for soft tyranny.

It’s funny. I read his post and thought how stupid some are..... to congregate in that way (if it’s true).

Again....I’m against closing the ramps (and dumb assedness).

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Yes, I believe that is still going on. Even some informal competitions. 10-12 bass boats hanging around the dock early the other day, and one of them yelled at the others, "3:00, right?"... "Yeah, back here".

Last edited:

thandy

Ten Pointer
QCB a kayak club is having a tournament this weekend on Hickory. Realistically as long as the don't bunch up at the dock they should be good. Everything with them is done on the boards and uploaded to there website. They canceled the "weight-in" and meal afterwards.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I went bass fishing with my father in law one time. He used to do the tournament thing.
He fished four places and seven baits before I ever had my rod rigged.
Too much like work for me.

Carry on about tyranny and oppression though, sorry to interrupt.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
QCB a kayak club is having a tournament this weekend on Hickory. Realistically as long as the don't bunch up at the dock they should be good. Everything with them is done on the boards and uploaded to there website. They canceled the "weight-in" and meal afterwards.
and crappie tournies were on jordan this past weekend.
everybody wants to shut down everybody else on the water? LOL.
where's rodney king when we need him?

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I went bass fishing with my father in law one time. He used to do the tournament thing.
He fished four places and seven baits before I ever had my rod rigged.
Too much like work for me.

Carry on about tyranny and oppression though, sorry to interrupt.

Cover too much ground too quick. Fished behind Monday night tourny guys while striper fishing. They stroll through with a black/red buzz wait on the points, moving a couple MPH likely, and 10-15yds between casts. We eased up on the point after he rounded the bend and went up the cove, slammed a solid 5lb spot on a redfin after about 4-5 casts to the same spot.

same thing on a lighted dock. We knew the deal,he was there when we pulled up. We waited patiently on his 2-3 casts and pulled up and threw crappie jigs.... ended up catching 4, 3-4lb spots on that light. All big solid fish. Caught a couple 2-3lbers on the next light.

Slow down and throw something the next guy and all his buddies weren’t throwing. They’re bass, not rockets. 🙄

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Cover too much ground too quick. Fished behind Monday night tourny guys while striper fishing. They stroll through with a black/red buzz wait on the points, moving a couple MPH likely, and 10-15yds between casts. We eased up on the point after he rounded the bend and went up the cove, slammed a solid 5lb spot on a redfin after about 4-5 casts to the same spot.

same thing on a lighted dock. We knew the deal,he was there when we pulled up. We waited patiently on his 2-3 casts and pulled up and threw crappie jigs.... ended up catching 4, 3-4lb spots on that light. All big solid fish. Caught a couple 2-3lbers on the next light.

Slow down and throw something the next guy and all his buddies weren’t throwing. 🙄
You eat them or feed the coons?

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

Slow down and throw something the next guy and all his buddies weren’t throwing. They’re bass, not rockets. 🙄

Funny how bass fisherman are so...alike.
If it’s not a green fish, they’d just as soon not catch it. 😂

Honestly, fishing in freshwater lakes has always been kinda boring. I like crappie fishing occasionally though.

Pretty partial to fishing little streams in the mtns or saltwater.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns

you should take that knowledge and take their money justin. I mean you have it all figured out.
Dive in there and get back with us.
Till then catch your little slabs and be happy. Those bass boys are.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Funny how bass fisherman are so...alike.
If it’s not a green fish, they’d just as soon not catch it. 😂

Honestly, fishing in freshwater lakes has always been kinda boring. I like crappie fishing occasionally though.

Pretty partial to fishing little streams in the mtns or saltwater.
that is true, tunnel vision for sure for many bass fishermen, just like the catfishermen, the drum boys, you name it folks like to catch different fish.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
17 lb would get a check for sure, I don’t know what won this past week. Personally, I like catching anything that bites. Have my bass rods rigged up on the front deck and that’s my focus most times on the lake but can switch up to panfish at a moments notice if I see some or feel like fishing for them. Bunch of those tourney guys just can’t fish without throwing money down, I just don’t get it and I like fishing tourneys just as much as the next guy (just not huge in it or feel like fishing high dollar ones). Time to start chasing crappie though with the fly rod and hair jigs!