NC Renter Laws Question

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
$200k.....depending on where you are in the state....that won’t get you much these days. 1/10 acre subdivision lot with a 1500 square foot house around here is going between $200k and $300k. I live out in the country but the subdivisions are popping up. Go to the other side of the cape fear and they bring $300k-$500k.

currently you are seeing a lot discrepancy between paychecks and cost of living. My grandparents love to tell me how I make more starting out than they ever made in their life. They also tell me about buying Cokes for 5 cents and hot dogs for a dime. Cars for $1200-$2500 and houses for $5000-$7500. Yes I do make more but the discrepancy is large.

CarolinaReaper

Currently you are seeing a lot discrepancy between paychecks and cost of living. My grandparents love to tell me how I make more starting out than they ever made in their life. They also tell me about buying Cokes for 5 cents and hot dogs for a dime. Cars for $1200-$2500 and houses for $5000-$7500. Yes I do make more but the discrepancy is large.

THIS!

I hear the same exact shtick from my dad, grandparent, etc. ALL DAY long. My dad would tell me stories how he was moved out at 16. He also said that the double wide he was living in was $25 a week......

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don’t know how anyone starting out is affording the ridiculous rent prices. Must make a lot more money than I do!

I knew I couldn’t swing 700+ for rent or all I’d do every month is just pay bills

Instead of driving a nice newer truck I kept driving older vehicles and bought a piece of land even though I can’t afford to build on it right now but it’s a little honey hole for deer hunting until I can then we bought a very old small house for cheap and just fixed it up to where it’s livable, it’s not much and honestly a little rough around the edges but no darn rent payment and I can do whatever I want to it

The rent is equally if not even higher out here in rural WV, very few rentals available and they are in high demand. I’ve saw single wide trailers for 1000 a month utilities not included.

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
More parties = more liabilities, hence the premium

Sounds to me like an experienced landlord whose been burned and learned from the 3 Ts...tenants, toilets, and trash

For $900 a month and $2,700 down, he’d be better off buying a place of his own

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don’t know how anyone starting out is affording the ridiculous rent prices. Must make a lot more money than I do!

I knew I couldn’t swing 700+ for rent or all I’d do every month is just pay bills

Instead of driving a nice newer truck I kept driving older vehicles and bought a piece of land even though I can’t afford to build on it right now but it’s a little honey hole for deer hunting until I can then we bought a very old small house for cheap and just fixed it up to where it’s livable, it’s not much and honestly a little rough around the edges but no darn rent payment and I can do whatever I want to it

The rent is equally if not even higher out here in rural WV, very few rentals available and they are in high demand. I’ve saw single wide trailers for 1000 a month utilities not included.

mine is $600/month plus I have to catch the bills. Normally around $1000 a month gets it all handled.

house was built in 1953 and is as efficient as a soviet engine.

we have been saving up for about 3 years. I told my wife we would be paying the bank about as much as we pay in rent if we couldn't knock the principle down with a decent down payment.

3-4% on $300,000 still goes to $9,000-$12,000 a year.

luckily, this also enabled us to pay off our student loans and buy her a low mileage used suv for the new baby.

We both still have the same cars we had in high school.

Lots of competition in the home buying department and not all that many for sale. We are trying to stay away from the neighborhood life.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

My Sister in law lives just across the line in Tazewell Va. She is relocating for work and is trying to sell her house.

2200 Sq ft Brick ranch on a full basement with 6 acres.
Tax appraisal is $67,000.

Buying a smaller modular, around 1680 sq ft, and putting it on 2 acres that they bought near Bland Va.

That modular is costing them $90,000. AFTER they’ve had the grading done, installed a septic tank and drilled a well.

Something just doesn’t seem right....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Tax appraisal doesn’t mean anything right now.

$53/ft on the modular? That seems really cheap.

not familiar with that area.

prices are similar south of Fayetteville and between Fayetteville and Wilmington. No jobs, no market for land/houses.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
Short answer if it is in the lease it is enforceable. If it ain't in the lease it ain't enforceable. Anything else is bull.
Not that simple, you can't enforce illegal clauses.

It's a really weird caveat to the lease. What would be more common is something that says "no overnight guest stays over three nights" or something like that, as well as a section about subletting, or additional residents must be approved by the landlord. I understand where the LL is coming from, since another person living there is added risk if she has to evict (since she has to evict both people,) and wear and tear, but still.

It's strange, but I don't think its illegal. I think I'd decide if I wanted a roommate or not, and move.

Funny thing would be, if he had a kid, then it would be illegal to charge more for the kid.

So I have a buddy who is planning on moving out of his moms place. First time moving out, he's 22. Being a novice at all that, the guy called me to ask a question about NC renter laws and I just don't know the answer to it. He's dead set on moving into a place near his grandparents. It's a really nice looking place, 3 bedroom, 2 bath with a full garage and basement. They are asking $900 a month for it. Which ain't bad at all. But, the guy wanted one of his friends, whom works as a representative for Pepsi, I say that to show that he makes good money. Good solid guy. Anyway, she told him that if anyone over 18 moves in with him to help pay the rent, she would charge each person an extra $350 in rent. Is this normal practice? Is it legal? I mean, the way I see it, if your paying the initially stated price, what's the deal? It's not like there moving in a family, it's ONE more guy. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
If that’s how she wants to draw up the lease it’s legal. She can add anything in the lease it’s up to your friend or another tenant to agree to it. If I’m wrong I apologize but I think it’s totally legal for her to do that.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
THIS!

I hear the same exact shtick from my dad, grandparent, etc. ALL DAY long. My dad would tell me stories how he was moved out at 16. He also said that the double wide he was living in was $25 a week......
And your dad also didn't have a cell phone bill, data plan, internet service provider, or cable tv/dish net.
25 years ago, I bought a brand new truck, with all the bells and whistles, 20k out the door, still have it. Now that same truck would be 40k. My wages haven't doubled, what happened?. Wife didn't work then either. she was too busy raising 3 children. It was all me bringing home the bacon. It seems like our paychecks went a lot farther back then

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
My Sister in law lives just across the line in Tazewell Va. She is relocating for work and is trying to sell her house.

2200 Sq ft Brick ranch on a full basement with 6 acres.
Tax appraisal is $67,000.

Buying a smaller modular, around 1680 sq ft, and putting it on 2 acres that they bought near Bland Va.

That modular is costing them $90,000. AFTER they’ve had the grading done, installed a septic tank and drilled a well.

Something just doesn’t seem right....

I doubt many in NC know how cheap you can get land or quality home in that area go couple counties over in Dickinson and gets even cheaper. Of course you gotta find job to pay for it

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
$200k.....depending on where you are in the state....that won’t get you much these days. 1/10 acre subdivision lot with a 1500 square foot house around here is going between $200k and $300k. I live out in the country but the subdivisions are popping up. Go to the other side of the cape fear and they bring $300k-$500k.

currently you are seeing a lot discrepancy between paychecks and cost of living. My grandparents love to tell me how I make more starting out than they ever made in their life. They also tell me about buying Cokes for 5 cents and hot dogs for a dime. Cars for $1200-$2500 and houses for $5000-$7500. Yes I do make more but the discrepancy is large.
200k in my area will get you a very nice place in town and a really nice place in the county.
My daughter is in the Garner/Clayton area and 200k there will get you a 1200-1400 sq ft house from what Ive seen. Same house here will be 120-150k depending on location in town and even less out in the county.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I doubt many in NC know how cheap you can get land or quality home in that area go couple counties over in Dickinson and gets even cheaper. Of course you gotta find job to pay for it

Cheap is relative up there... we’re considering buying her house. There is a house for sale about a mile from her that is around 1500 sq ft on a 1/2 acre lot that is for sale for $110,000 and it needs to be renovated. Tax assessment on it is $135,000.

I have no understanding of tax assessments in that area whatsoever

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
200k in my area will get you a very nice place in town and a really nice place in the county.
My daughter is in the Garner/Clayton area and 200k there will get you a 1200-1400 sq ft house from what Ive seen. Same house here will be 120-150k depending on location in town and even less out in the county.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk
Yep, in Knightdale the house that's a carbon copy of mine went for $170K, 1300 sf, half acre. I paid $160K three years ago. talk about a pi** poor return, I told the missus don't you ever refer to this pile of sticks as an investment again. Oh well, I have half an acre and I don't have to ask a landlord or HOA about painting the house.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Cheap is relative up there... we’re considering buying her house. There is a house for sale about a mile from her that is around 1500 sq ft on a 1/2 acre lot that is for sale for $110,000 and it needs to be renovated. Tax assessment on it is $135,000.

I have no understanding of tax assessments in that area whatsoever

It is born and raised close by and my family still lives in area. Tazwell is nice area property value tends be better than where I'm from due to proximity to 460 and its not bad ride to Bluefield where some work is I know few that do the hour drive to Abingdon or wythehville. If I could make close what I make here I'd go back in heartbeat good luck if you move very nice place to live and raise family

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It is born and raised close by and my family still lives in area. Tazwell is nice area property value tends be better than where I'm from due to proximity to 460 and its not bad ride to Bluefield where some work is I know few that do the hour drive to Abingdon or wythehville. If I could make close what I make here I'd go back in heartbeat good luck if you move very nice place to live and raise family

It’s definitely a nice area, my father in law has 380 some odd acres that he runs cattle on about a mile off of 460.

My BIL works in Claypool Hill, and has a good paying job, good enough that he’s going to commute from Bland.

The job market up there is certainly not very good. A position comparable to my current position pays about $500 less per week than I currently make.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
It’s definitely a nice area, my father in law has 380 some odd acres that he runs cattle on about a mile off of 460.

My BIL works in Claypool Hill, and has a good paying job, good enough that he’s going to commute from Bland.

The job market up there is certainly not very good. A position comparable to my current position pays about $500 less per week than I currently make.

That's pretty big drop in pay and very reason 60% people I work with are from southern West Va area. I always joke statesville and hickory has as many people from West va as NC