NC Population expected to grow and additional 5% due to Covid.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
They can move here because Cooper is governor.

Are they flocking to SC with all GOP control there?

Regardless the major growth is around Raleigh and Charlotte
That is absurd, and has no basis in reality, At all. People move to Raleigh and Charlotte because of economic opportunity, and they have been for a long time before Roy Boy was elected governor. NC courts businesses with a favorable regulatory and tax environment, combined with a decently educated workforce close to excellent educational institutions (State, UNC, Duke, Wake, others.)

Yes, lots of people moving to South Carolina from out of state as well.

The largest demographic in US History is hitting retirement age. A huge number of folks largely from the Northeast but not exclusively are looking for areas they can move without severe winter weather and in a more tax friendly environment. NC and SC both fit the bill depending on what you're looking for. The Coastal NC and SC fit that bill quite nicely, as do the mountains of NC and upstate/mountains of SC.

Anyhow, the switch from extremely liberal voting patterns (FDR through LBJ's Great Society) to more conservative Republican voting patterns lines up with the influx of northern transplants (starting in the early 70's,..)

JD1107

Instead of worrying about dang Yankees moving down here why don’t you text your cousin Cooper and tell him to make the right choice tomorrow and open things back up.

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I think we've discovered that many companies can work from home pretty well. I have been on video conferences with a customer in Saudi Arabia and another in Texas almost daily the past month. They send a note and say, "let's talk" and 30 seconds later we're looking at each other and seeing what he's doing on his computer. The first time it was pretty amazing, now it's routine (but still pretty amazing).

This is actually great news for people who have rural roots but can't make it farming any more and want both a white collar city job and a house in the country near where they grew up. I can see where people in places like Kinston or Marion or other small towns 50 miles from where the jobs are can now have both; maybe drive into the office once in a while and most days work from home. Granted, it won't work for mechanics or welders or contractors but if we get most people off the highway even those can commute a lot easier.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
As a transplant I’ll humbly chime in. Although I grew up south of the Mason Dixon, I still grew up in Maryland which is way north of here. Lots of the people that moved to Maryland back then remind me of what’s happening here in western NC. I mean the ones that “love nature” and “want to be in the country” but they bring their ideology with them. Everyone’s entitled to their beliefs, as long as it doesn’t infringe on others. I even feel that way about liberals whether I agree with them or not. Anyways, some people (like me) came here bc they love the way of life and feel like they’ve got something positive to contribute to their community, without stepping on anyone’s toes. Others come here with the intention that they can use money, power, and influence to turn it into what their idea of proper living is, and eradicate what’s not. We watched a whole lot of farm land and woods get bought up and turned into suburbs growing up. Even then, whether I like it or not, that’s part of a free market capitalist society. But if it brings people to an area that want to change the way of life and rewrite its history, I just can’t get down with that. I’m a flat lander by birth but the locals in the community and all you gracious folks here have helped me learn my heart and mind is in the Appalachian mountains.

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
Out of towners from NC and out of state have been flocking to Carteret County since about April one. They think its safer here.........

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

A good discussion here of NC population growth:

Evidently you haven’t been to Greenville SC lately it’s a hot bed for yankees. Moving here because cooper is governor that’s just funny.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
They are not flocking down here to fit in . The agenda is to inject themselves into the local political system then the locals will be the ones that will be trying to fit in. Been happening where I'm from for several years

It must suck to go through life viewing everything as an agenda. There is no agenda. I'm from PA. Younger people move here for the good paying jobs. The retirees move here for the climate. It's really that simple.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns

A good discussion here of NC population growth:

I don't how someone can post an article on people moving here since the 1970s and then say they can move here because of Cooper. Cooper has not been governor since the 1970s. Plenty of people moved here during McCrory.

GUP

Eight Pointer
As a NC native born and raised in Franklin Co. I can honestly say I believe most folks move here for what most of us native have always known. This is a pretty darn good place to live. Good climate, schools, hospitals, jobs. Beaches and mountains. Lots of other things as well. I’ve been lucky enough to visit many nice places, but I can’t say I’d choose any of those over NC. Well except maybe Montana. Really like it out there.
With this all said however. I’ve also been convinced that the more people you have in a place the more that place starts to loose some of the things that made it great to start with. And 10 million folks here now has me worried about the future of NC.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
It must suck to go through life viewing everything as an agenda. There is no agenda. I'm from PA. Younger people move here for the good paying jobs. The retirees move here for the climate. It's really that simple.
Ma
Maybe agenda is the wrong word . Entitled maybe, selfish maybe. Hell I don't know what you would call it . I was speaking from what I experience in my home county. If this state is so great for the young folk to get jobs and retiree's to enjoy the climate why would they want to change anything. Anyway I'm just a dumb ol country boy so what's makes sense to me doesn't to most folks I've met lately.

Reactions: CRC

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I don't how someone can post an article on people moving here since the 1970s and then say they can move here because of Cooper. Cooper has not been governor since the 1970s. Plenty of people moved here during McCrory.

These left wing older liberals fleeing NY are coming here because NC does have a left wing governor now who got rid of the 'bath room' issue but with lower taxes and more affordable living than Long Island or Westchester.

Yes these people move here and try to change it to the place they fled from.

Young people are moving here because jobs and the fact some of these more liberal states/big cities are super expensive and they can't have much of a life on the money they make there.

But Mecklenburg and Wake Counties have been going more and more Democrat. No coincidence, none.

When McCrory was governor all you heard about was the Moral Monday protests.

Last edited:

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
Developers that did Compass Point have purchased Iron Wood and an additional 780 acres across Highway 33 in Greenville. They are going to spend millions marketing up north. Houses will start at $200 per square foot and you get a one acre so called farm. Concept is sustainability and they are going to have Club restaurant like Chef and Farmer. Kind of going off of Vivian’s show and how she uses local farms for her restaurant. Liberal Northerners will love the sustainability aspect thinking they are farmers even though it is nothing but a glorified garden.

I do not understand how so many Northerners leave their extended families and move South.

Most every Sunday my family meets after church and it is three generations and twenty of us at the table. This past Sunday there was four Generations because my Wife’s Grandfather joined us. During Thanksgiving and Christmas there are over fifty of us.
I am humbled to have been born in North Caroline. Just wish that I could do more to protect our heritage.

Last edited:

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
I do not understand how so many Northerners leave their extended families and move South.
I moved from Western Pennsylvania to North Carolina in 1988 for a great job opportunity. I remember talking to my mother about it when I was weighing the decision, and how I hated leaving the family. She said "Don't think twice. You'll be a short airplane ride away. Your grandmother left Europe in 1900, knowing she would never see her family again. You go where the opportunities are.".

Americans have always done that.

Don't get me wrong. I wish I had a big extended family close by, and I admire close knit families. But, if none of us branched out, away from our family homes, most of us would still be in another country.

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
In 2010, the State was broke. The rainy day fund was down to about what we spend in five days. The teachers' and employees' pension fund hadn't been funded in years. Teachers had not had a raise and many were getting furloughed. Forbes rated NC in 44th place as a place to start a business.

Republicans took over, lowered taxes, rewrote the tax code, and got the state back on track financially. The rainy day fund is up to a month's spending despite two major natural disasters in three years. Teachers have had a 30% raise and the pension fund is one of the most solid in the country. And Forbes now says we're #1 for business startups.

So here come the Yankees, fleeing the high taxes, high prices, and stagnant economy for NC. And they vote like they did up north. Some people just don't learn.

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
In 2010, the State was broke. The rainy day fund was down to about what we spend in five days. The teachers' and employees' pension fund hadn't been funded in years. Teachers had not had a raise and many were getting furloughed. Forbes rated NC in 44th place as a place to start a business.

Republicans took over, lowered taxes, rewrote the tax code, and got the state back on track financially. The rainy day fund is up to a month's sending despite two major natural disasters in three years. Teachers have had a 30% raise and the pension fund is one of the most solid in the country. And Forbes now says we're #1 for business startups.

So here come the Yankees, fleeing the high taxes, high prices, and stagnant economy for NC. And they vote like they did up north. Some people just don't learn.
And with them and the NC handout programs came the Democratic elected officials that have tried their darndest to bankrupt the state and skim every federal aid dollar they can from every disaster, real or imagined.
NC is still a very diverse state with pockets of real NC residents, I'm a transplant myself but have been coming to NC since I was a small boy camping in the western part with my grandparents. Those old mountain folks are mostly gone from what I've seen, replaced by transplants, some like me who love NC the way it was and are looking for that sanctuary....but too often transplants who prefer their way of living where they come from and try to change their area to fit their idea of paradise.

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Born and raised in NC and grew up on a tobacco farm. My grandma had a couple of small houses one my dad built that she rented out. She sold the one my dad built which was a couple hundred yards from my dads house. After she passed thru the years it got sold a couple times and last time a yankee from PA bought it. So when he was there about a month my dad notices he’s continually driving above the house in a border between the house and the fields. My dad goes down and told him I don’t mind you mowing that as part of your yard but don’t want it to become a road. My dad would give you the shirt off his back but don’t piss him off. So the guy told him without asking anything I’ll drive wherever I want it’s my house. My dad called me and my brother and said I want y’all to come put up a fence for me. He knew exactly where the line was, so he had it surveyed and we put up a fence with 4x4 posts. It took half his driveway and the upper side of the house he didn’t have enough room to put a push mower thru. Moral of the story...Don't move into a farmland area with family owned land and assume anything and best to leave the attitudes up north.

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
Born and raised in NC and grew up on a tobacco farm. My grandma had a couple of small houses one my dad built that she rented out. She sold the one my dad built which was a couple hundred yards from my dads house. After she passed thru the years it got sold a couple times and last time a yankee from PA bought it. So when he was there about a month my dad notices he’s continually driving above the house in a border between the house and the fields. My dad goes down and told him I don’t mind you mowing that as part of your yard but don’t want it to become a road. My dad would give you the shirt off his back but don’t piss him off. So the guy told him without asking anything I’ll drive wherever I want it’s my house. My dad called me and my brother and said I want y’all to come put up a fence for me. He knew exactly where the line was, so he had it surveyed and we put up a fence with 4x4 posts. It took half his driveway and the upper side of the house he didn’t have enough room to put a push mower thru. Moral of the story...Don't move into a farmland area with family owned land and assume anything and best to leave the attitudes up north.

Unfortunately, Many have similar stories. You have to remember that these people come from a different culture and mind set.