NC Population expected to grow and additional 5% due to Covid.

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
Saw this on the news this am. I have been Down East for the majority of the Summer and amazed at the amount of tags that I am seeing from up North. The new development across from the school in Harkers Island is majority from people out of state. A friend of mine that lives in Cedar Island told me that a lot of people have come down to look at property. Heard about a guy that flew down from Chicago to Bath for the day just to purchase a $500K house. They are not just flocking to CARY anymore. One would think that liberals would not fit in too well Down East. NC is changing. They had a BLM protest in Ocracoke last week.

Last edited:

maelstrom

Four Pointer
Yep, been happening in the triad for several years and its done nothing but make things worse. The SOBs have no respect for how we live. Hell, i dont think they know what respect is.

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
And just as they get here, it looks like NC is becoming the next virus hot spot. I'd like to blame the Yankees for that but the people who track these things says we're getting it from ourselves.

At least the New Yorkers are going to feel right at home with our tyrannical, power hungry Governor.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
They can move here because Cooper is governor.

Are they flocking to SC with all GOP control there?

A good discussion here of NC population growth:

Regardless the major growth is around Raleigh and Charlotte

Last edited:

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

and that's who determines our politics..making it even worse.

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
yeah,,,,cause none of them natural born folks are on the left side of any issue,,,,,,,,,:rolleyes:

Depends on if it is a Baby Mommy or Good Old Boys Mommy having the baby!

You read the article. Making reference on how in the 70's the major growth in NC was from births and now more people move to NC than are born in NC. Over 50 percent of the adult population West of I-95 was not born in NC.

Last edited:

23mako

Ten Pointer
I was fishing west bay a few weeks ago and the amount of cars heading to cedar island was the most I've ever seen. It has also become a big place for huge groups of motorcyclists who like to whizz around going 100mph. It is gonna be sad to see if open ground farms ever gets developed.

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
With 20 miles of shoreline and high bluffs, this property has been designed to develop 146 10 acre WATERFRONT lots, each capable of supporting waterfront homes and private docks with no zoning, restrictions, or covenants. There is a development plan in place; for more information on this,

23mako

Ten Pointer
I would like to see the state step in and buy some of those big blocks of properties and turn them into game lands. I don't understand why the state doesn't do this especially when we have such a large budget surplus at the time. They ain't making any more land!

Woods and water

Ten Pointer

According to the us census Leland nc is the fastest growing town in NC and 12th in the country

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
You're either in a growing area like the southeast, and have to manage the growth, or you're in a shrinking area like the rust belt and have to tax those who are left more heavily to maintain revenues. Which would you rather be - managing growth or robbing those who can't move? The trick is to manage the growth well, and governments are not set up to handle change effectively.

I have a friend from upstate NY who described the situation up there pretty well. The only remaining industry once Kodak and IBM folded up their tents was the state prison system. He said his only real options were either to work at the prison, or to be an inmate at the prison. So he moved to NC for options...

Last edited:

23mako

Ten Pointer
You're either in a growing area like the southeast, and have to manage the growth, or you're in a shrinking area like the rust belt and have to tax those who are left more heavily to maintain revenues. Which would you rather be - managing growth or robbing those who can't move? The trick is to manage the growth well, and governments are not set up to handle change effectively.

I have a friend from upstate NY who described the situation up there pretty well. The only remaining industry once Kodak and IBM folded up their tents was the state prison system. He said his only real options were either to work at the prison, or to be an inmate at the prison.

I think I'd rather live in a shotgun shack then have to listen to the know it alls that move here and post on apps like nextdoor and leave anonymous notes on your old truck about how it needs to be moved. I don't need much to keep me satisfied.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
I would like to see the state step in and buy some of those big blocks of properties and turn them into game lands. I don't understand why the state doesn't do this especially when we have such a large budget surplus at the time. They ain't making any more land!
With the amount of subsidies open grounds gets from tax payers through the state and federal government it should already be game lands

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
Takes a lot of money. North Carolina Ducks Unlimited has spend millions purchasing land in this state, implementing waterfowl habitat and then giving it to the NCWRC to manage as a game lands.

DC-DXT

Twelve Pointer
I used to live in Craven Co, and New Bern had its share of northern retirees settling there. I would talk with some of them at the gym. I asked them how they found this area and got numerous replies (family, friends, advertisements in magazines, etc.). Plus COL was dirt cheap compared to NY/NJ. They told me New Bern was the perfect location. FL was too crowded & too hot, eastern NC had better weather, better home pricing, and New Bern was almost halfway between NY/NJ and Florida (they all had family/friends in both locations, so made it easier to visit them).

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
I think I'd rather live in a shotgun shack then have to listen to the know it alls that move here and post on apps like nextdoor and leave anonymous notes on your old truck about how it needs to be moved. I don't need much to keep me satisfied.
I agree. Group was complaining about a net reel and a bunch of crab pots my buddy left out by his private boat ramp. Northerners need to understand that is just part of the scenery.

Last edited:

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Time for Natural Born North Carolinian's to make more babies!

I thought that's what this thread was going to be about. There will be a baby boom this winter, no doubt.

I can tell you what's going in NY, because I know folks who have done it. They got hit with a virus, so it's a dangerous place to live, and were told to work from home. Many people working and living in/near NYC are there for work, and otherwise would go elsewhere. Some said screw it, if I am working from home I can do that on the NC coast as easy as I can surrounded by lockdowns and Covid in NY. So these folks with $Money$ rented a house for months down here.

Hopefully they will return when businesses get back to normal.

They had a BLM protest in Ocracoke last week.

On a side note, is this ^ real?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Depends on if it is a Baby Mommy or Good Old Boys Mommy having the baby!

I know a lot of "good old boys" crew that are just as much "hands out" as a baby mommy crew,,,,,,,,

to me, this concept that every "native born North Carolinian" is conservative is a joke,,,,

You read the article. Making reference on how in the 70's the major growth in NC was from births and now more people move to NC than are born in NC. Over 50 percent of the adult population West of I-95 was not born in NC.

yeap,,,,NC is growing,,,has been for decades,,,,worst part is they are spread out,,,,most congested "rural areas" I've ever seen,,,,

enjoy the down east,,,,west of i-95 has it's spots, but they come at costs (poor counties)

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I was seriously considering a move from Wake to Carteret to get away from the traffic, high taxes, and stupid Sheriff. Now look what's happening. There is no place safe.

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
Good thing about Carteret is that it is a very safe place to live other than hurricanes. Places like Durham and most of Eastern NC could become dangerous if race relations do not improve.

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Hopefully they will return when businesses get back to normal.

I think this is wishful thinking for many of the remote workers who have wandered this way. The new normal for MANY more employees is working from home instead of returning to expensive office space. This virus has forced us into a big social experiment which is proving that working from home is a better answer for many employees.

Several of my colleagues who work in our Boston office live in New Hampshire. While working from home, not only do they not spend 3 hours/day in the car commuting, burning fuel, and creating pollution, but they also don't pay Massachusetts state income taxes. So in effect they get a pay raise not to have a long commute. They will be fighting tooth and nail NOT to return to the office.

todobien

Eight Pointer
State has to have a willing seller and in other cases can only pay appraised value vs what is often the going rate esp in areas of potential real estate development.

23mako

Ten Pointer
State has to have a willing seller and in other cases can only pay appraised value vs what is often the going rate esp in areas of potential real estate development.

I'm not advocating for the state to go in and do some eminent domain type deal. Just would be nice to see our tax dollars go towards something that makes sense for a change. It would be an environmental, cultural, and ecological plus for that area.