NC Landowners Alliance - anti-dog hunting group

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
True, but it was not something they needed to be successful or have a good hunt. More of the days when the social aspect of hunting was an important part of the experience. Something still alive and well with dog hunting. Not the selfish one of many trophy hunters, with the my deer concept.

fair enough,,,,though many of the dog clubs I have hunted with would jockey hard for position when a biggun' was being run!

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
  1. It has a bad reputation. Everyone who hunts near doggers has a story about it.
  2. A pack of dogs baying and running over your property is more noticeable than a lone trespasser with a bow.
  3. They often set up on right of ways and shoot down them at deer being run across them.
  4. They are more visible than other types of hunters.
  5. Rogue doggers and their dogs are more disruptive than rogue still hunters.
  6. It has very few defenders and the few it has are very vocal. When large numbers of hunters want dogging curtailed, regulated or banned, that tells everyone else that there's a problem.

1. I have seen written permission laws change this. As a dogger I can also tell you I have been cussed at and threatened for two dogs getting on property I have only had dogs get on once in over 20 years. We have waded the creek on Chritmas morning to find a collar giving signal in the creek, only to find another that had been shot. It was on a "one man dog" the only way the dog was caught by someone else it had to be shot. Never seen either dog again. The property they got on maybe had a dog get on there twice at the most 3 times over 20 years.

2. Which one actually kills the deer though? Think about it. Plus it is likely the dogs just brought you a deer.

3. Just a plain out lie. Most counties have laws against road hunting, if people are doing this laws need to be enforced or made.

4. We are visible.

5. They are equal in the laws eyes and mine.

6. Depends on the group of people you ask and which ones have been influenced without experiencing it themselves. One story, We were trying to lease a bordering farm. We had permission to retrieve dogs, but not hunt. We talked the land owner about leasing it, she said no. She stated her son still hunted and said dog hunting was not fair. Turn the dogs loose and all the deer just run for their lives and the hunters shoot them like fish in a barrel. ( I get that scenario a lot, from non hunters who have been educated by non-doggers. ) Well, my friend told her think about this, Feeding the deer corn, putting out sex pheromones, while hiding in ambush with scent control on to fool a deer's nose. Use game call to make the buck think some one is after his date. He comes in looking a fight then some loving, but all he finds is BOOM! The hunters bullet. She changed her mind to say the least, she at least thought with dogs the deer knew it was being hunted by something. I know that it don't always happen like that but neither is most no doggers description of dog hunting for deer, especially when talking to the general public.

Last edited:

ncdeerhunterRC

Four Pointer
Can someone explain to me why hunting deer with hounds is under more pressure than any other form of hunting?

1. It is a more highly visible form of hunting.
  2. NC is becoming more urban and because of #1, those who don't understand it or agree with it oppose it.
  3. When a rogue dog hunter causes an issue, due to #1, the magnitude is much larger. Trespassing still hunters cause the same problems, it's just hard to know they are there.
  4. It has to do with deer (big bucks). No one has a problem with hog hunting with dogs, even though those dogs trespass too, or fox hunting, or even rabbit hunting (yes the range is much smaller but we've jumped a rabbit close to the property line and the dogs went onto someone else's property but it wasn't a 10 point trophy rabbit).
  5. There is a negative stigma associated with hunting deer with dogs (the knuckle dragging redneck that could care less about personal property that someone on here mentioned). This is totally unfounded. When I've taken an "anti-dog hunter" to our club, they have always left with a different understanding and all of them enjoyed it and asked could they come back again. Amazing.
  6. Society as a whole has changed. Every group has rights and their rights are infringed on (see the bathroom bill from 2 years ago).
  7. Big bucks - not the animal kind. Land is of value and people pay to hunt whether its QDM and leasing land, or guided hunts on preserves - commercialization or the business of hunting. Because of #1, #2 and #3 it is a financial threat.

Reactions: DRS

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It isn't only deer dogs it is dogs in general, I have seen coon dogs, rabbit dogs, bird dogs and blood tracking dogs all shot this year. I have kept track of 17 incidents of shootings this year nationwide. Most have resulted in the shooter being charged with felony charges yet the "dog hunters" are the rogues. Go figure. Oh one last thing many of these shooting have happened on public land also.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
It isn't only deer dogs it is dogs in general, I have seen coon dogs, rabbit dogs, bird dogs and blood tracking dogs all shot this year. I have kept track of 17 incidents of shootings this year nationwide. Most have resulted in the shooter being charged with felony charges yet the "dog hunters" are the rogues. Go figure. Oh one last thing many of these shooting have happened on public land also.

that's the saddest part - why the H shoot a dog that is obviously a hunting/working critter

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
that's the saddest part - why the H shoot a dog that is obviously a hunting/working critter
I don't get it at all, if they want to shoot the person involved then although it is wrong go for it, but the animal has really nothing to do with it. Yet they always shoot the animal and most times try to conceal it.

They always act like the animal itself is the enemy.

Weekender

Twelve Pointer

Some people are irredeemably mean. Not the dog's fault they get lost. I've always tried to get them to come to me so I can get a phone # off the tag.

Reactions: DRS

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Some people are irredeemably mean. Not the dog's fault they get lost. I've always tried to get them to come to me so I can get a phone # off the tag.
Many folks are that way it is the exceptions that cause the issues.

I can not remember when I have had a dog where it was not supposed to be. I do remember back 40+ years ago prior to me having a tracking system and a dog getting lost. I scoured the country looking for it. I swore then that I was going to stop that and ordered a "state of the art" tracking system for the time. It actually got here before I found the dog. Turns out the dog was found treed by a lady walking (it was on govt. land) in a snow storm and she though it was cold so she took it home. And didn't know to look on it's collar for my name and number. It was a week later when she was asking people about the dog someone mentioned most had ID on the collar and she looked and called me. I promptly made the 5 hour drive back to where I was hunting and offered her the reward I had posted even though she was actually the reason I had "lost" my dog. She declined, but I did finally get her to accept a small amount as gratitude and for feed and board.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I would hope that we all agree that shooting a dog (of any kind) simply for being on your property or "ruining your hunt" is inexcusable......
I would hope so, but don't know how long you have been a member. The "SSS" posts and replies used to be a common thing here. I am sure they weren't all in jest. Personally, if dogs ruining a hunt and it is a regular thing I would be all for the landowner making it as miserable as possible for the dog owner getting them back. Costly, going through animal control etc. But I would not be for anything that would put the dog in jeopardy or the dog not ultimately winding back up in the rightful owners hands as long as he made reparations for his wrong deeds.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Who wouldn't.

That's says a lot, mean people on all sides. That's the ones always causing problems. Harming dogs on one side, turning dogs out just to piss people off on the other. Don't agree with either.

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
Who wouldn't.

That's says a lot, mean people on all sides. That's the ones always causing problems. Harming dogs on one side, turning dogs out just to piss people off on the other. Don't agree with either.

I know of 3 instances that prove this:

There was a dog that showed up on a still hunting club with a man's name and number on the new shiny collar. Club called and asked not so nicely for him to come get his D dog. Funny thing was this guy had quit hunting 4 years prior and had not owned a hound in those 4 years.

Had a guy brag about how he picked up 2 dogs on his way out from hunting one morning. He was driving across another landowners farm to get back to the highway. The dogs were on the farm he was not hunting. He hauled them 20 miles down the road and dumped them out. Now guess who gets blamed when they show up on someone else's land. Oh yeah when the both land owners found out he was looking a new place to hunt.

I had a dog shot that simply dug out. She was very shy and would have run from anyone. She had never dug out in the 2 year I had her. Not sure what caused her to do this. She had never been on the piece of land where she was shot. I used to drive 20+ miles to dog hunt where I would not have any issues. Had to explain to my 10 year old daughter why her Kelly would never come home again.

So there are some just as bad causing problems on both sides.

81toyota

Twelve Pointer
I will say this. I see both sides. But let's say dog hunting is outlawed. Do you know the next thing that will be attacked and fought over to be outlawed will be? It'll be still hunting.

See the problem is once thing is taken away regardless of what group pushed for it then something else will be gone after shortly.

Think about California and all the weapon bans. They started with 1 thing then went after another item and so forth so forth.

If they ban deer dogging they will come for still hunting. Guess what once they ban deer dogging itll be easier for the Antis go after the still hunters even tho the still hunters got deer dogging banned. We are a hunting COMMUNITY. Let me say that again. WE ARE A HUNTING COMMUNITY. Community means 1. Yes there are rogues, outlaws and poachers just like drug dealers, rapist and murders. As a community our voice is louder but if we are factual our voice grows more and more silent.

Perfect example. Let's say hypothetically they were to ban squirrel hunting. That's 1 small portion of the hunting community gone, then let's say they went after coon hunting and got in banned there another small portion gone, next bird hunting with dogs, then hog hunting with dogs, then bear hunting with dogs, the fox etc etc. By the time they come for the still hunters a huge population of the hunting community is gone and how loud would your voice been then.

You dont hear about 1 type of people being grouped together as rapist because they all have the same hair color as a rapist.

My point being is regardless of still hunter vs deer digger. The WHOLE HUNTING COMMUNITY is under attack. If one form of hunting is outlawed then the other forms of hunting will be next. All it takes is 1 thing to start that ball.

We all need to stand together and police ourselves that is the only way hunting in general will survive. Be tolerant, be understanding, be willing to try and work things out. If you have to involve the law in situations. But very mindful of the picture you wish to paint because the ANTI hunting crowd is watching everything. I'm sure there are anti hunters on this forum. Just like game wardens who stalk Facebook and the anti hunters who are in hunting groups on Facebook to get more fuel to feed their fires.

I will say this. I have still hunted and had dogs come in and not see nothing the rest of the hunt (In a non dog hunting county) there has also been times still hunting I wish a dog would of ran through and maybe got a deer up on their feet because I had been weeks with out seeing a deer

I happen to know of a dog club that has constant still hunter trespassers who have hung stands, cleared shooting lanes and baited on clearly marked club land. Heck they parked their ATV right beside a tree that had a poster sign on it.

I know of a dog club that had an ATV accident last year where trespassers were riding ATVs in the club land and a boy got seriously hurt when the ATV flipped in him. Again he was trespassing on a dog hunting club with clearly marked property lines.

I know of a club that runs dogs that had to call the law on a renter who rented a place beside said club who trespassed to go on her afternoon jogs.

Sorry that this was so long but I feel as if this can just be more fuel used to help the anti hunting voice and will only cause our voice to weaken against the anti hunting community regardless if this whole debate originally started as still hunters vs dog hunters.

Now for clarification I do both. I still hunt and deer dog actively. I drive 45mins 1 way to still hunt and 45 mins the over way to deer dog. I love and enjoy both equally. I hope that we can all come together as 1 community like it was when I was growing up still hunting and running dogs.

bertienchunter

Twelve Pointer
I haven't responded yet but I think it is comical that Scott Hicks who is a real estate agent is linked to the NC Landowners Alliance. He will be the first dang person to market a 50 acre piece of property in NE NC as "Prime" hunting land knowing that there is a 5000 acre dog hunting club next door. I understand that people want to sale land and get top dollar for it but if you know you are trying to sale a piece of land to a steal hunter who hates dogs and don't warn them about it then that's pretty common too.

I know it happens all you got to do is look up the local listings and you see it on Whitetail properties and Mossy Oak. People are paying top dollar for land that ain't worth two Ds for QDMA hunting. It ought to be false advertisement.

I am a landowner and have much more trouble with people baiting turkeys illegal on the neighboring 8 acre field, fishing on our land, tearing up our right of way, stealing trail cameras and people hunting our land that aren't supposed to.

One thing I do realize in our area is clubs hunt with dogs much more than they used to. We used to hunt Mondays, Wednesdays, Saturdays and holidays. Now every club around us hunts every day to the week. I realize people work shift work and want to hunt when they are off but I think we could ease our relationship with surrounding land owners by hunting a little less.