----NC Deer Management---- What is your opinion?

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
The longest firearm season there is 2 weeks, and the WMA I was at had a 2 day quota hunt for firearms. Other than that it was bow only. Buckshot won't mess up your table fare any more than a 30-06 (less in my experience). If gas hadn't dropped it wouldn't be a wash for you. Like I said, I realized how spoiled I was here when I got out there. It was a real wake-up call when my Sportsman's license cost $100 (resident) and didn't even come with all my tags.

There's ways of growing bigger antlers without forcing everybody else to have the same goals you do. Heck, I would especially hate the 1 buck limit if I was intensively managing my herd. Every once in a while you get a legitimate cull buck, and you'd be forced to either let him walk or burn your tag. I'd rather have options than regs, but that's just me.
There's ways of growing bigger antlers without forcing everybody else to have the same goals you do. Heck, I would especially hate the 1 buck limit if I was intensively managing my herd. Every once in a while you get a legitimate cull buck, and you'd be forced to either let him walk or burn your tag. I'd rather have options than regs, but that's just me.[/QUOTE]

Fact remains that a low budget hunter ( like myself) can hunt KY and have a legitimate chance at a very nice deer.

Buckshot causes unwanted spoilage opposed to a well placed single projectile arrow/bullet in my experience. For instance, in most cases I can execute an accurately angled shot and know I am not going to penetrate unwanted organs or guts. Where as it's anyone's guess where the pellets of the shot travel within a certain area. Agree to disagree I guess.

Not once have I ever mentioned that I would like to force anyone to have the same goals of myself or anyone else. If you have read through I posted that I support the current system in place and also that I would not be affected by a 1 buck rule. The whole reason of creating the thread is for discussion. Not to suggest what others should do or imply what others feel.

NCDoberman

Ten Pointer
Yeah, but I still think you could keep a lot of the things that make NC deer hunting culture what it is (or, as what I perceive it to be coming from out of state.) You can still have your long rifle season. You can still kill a bunch of them. You can still use dogs. You can still use buckshot (not that I think that accounts for more deer taken here.) But, maybe you only get to shoot one buck, or shoot one more if it has three points on one side.

I hear you. You're preaching to the choir.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
Another Big Buck Down/ said:
Not once have I ever mentioned that I would like to force anyone to have the same goals of myself or anyone else. If you have read through I posted that I support the current system in place and also that I would not be affected by a 1 buck rule. The whole reason of creating the thread is for discussion. Not to suggest what others should do or imply what others feel.

Fair enough

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Thanks for everyone who has contributed on the subject. I think the take away is self implementing different management practices that improve deer quality for everyone is generally accepted and valued by most.

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I wanted to bump this thread to gather other opinions of people who may not have had the chance to view it yet. The Davidson county deer is proof of what is possible for NC as far as genetics goes.

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
2 buck statewide has been implemented... wonder what is next if anything by the commission?

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'm not sure buck limits will make any difference. Guys that shoot 5-6 bucks a year will continue. Guys that are hunting mature bucks may go 5-6 years without killing one.

Its really hard to compare NC to mid west. Too many factors. But look at the rut. Here its firearm season. Most western states its archery. This is a huge difference in mature bucks making it another day.

A one buck system only hurts the honest hunter. I may only kill one buck a year in NC. Sometimes none. But I hate to think I was limited to taking only one. When the stars line up and I get the opportunity I'd like the option to harvest more than one.

To answer original question:
1. I do not support 1 buck limit
2. Both. Age is more important

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
1. Yes, but I’m not against the way it is now. I’d rather see distribution of seasons change than go to a one buck limit. But that’s just me.
2. Age

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Same tired peanut gallery crew... thanks for the contribution to the thread fellas.

Last edited:

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I don't care if NC has a 2 buck limit or a 10 buck limit, I'm just glad that we have the same limit statewide.

Shoot what you want. I like to kill big deer, but I will whack a little on in a heart beat! Especially if I am a long ways from the truck, the little ones are easier to carry out!

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I've seen an improvement in buck numbers and what they are sporting. That could be because of less hunters due to weather. It could be less folks shooting 4 bucks in central and claiming 2 were in eastern counties. It could be that more people are realizing the 4 pointers end up making nice racks. It could be that the known poachers have passed on.

It would be interesting to see how many residents of central counties registered 2 bucks in central counties and 2 bucks in eastern counties. Not saying some don't actually travel. As many on here claim it's ultra competitive to find hunting permission.

Anyway many of the surveys I've seen showed very few tagged out hunters and less than 4500 hunters shooting more than 2 bucks. At a minimum 5000 bucks survived? Or are they just not recorded?

An interesting map shows historical trends that more bucks are reported in huntable central counties.

The stat we can agree on... most hunters are liars ?

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Here’s my theory, if you wanna call it that. This is based off my experiences in the central zone and I know that it may not translate to other regions.

Reducing the buck limit is a feel good measure that accomplishes so little as to be pointless. I believe that, on average, roughly half of any one age class of deer dies yearly.

Cars, hunters, ehd, disease, infection etc...it’s a tough life in the woods. Start with 40 fawns. You end up with 1.25 5.5yr old deer. Oh wait, half of those are does...so maybe you’ve got 3/4 of a 5.5yr old buck. Maybe.

Now y’all QDMers claim you want older bucks, but all you really want is bigger bucks. It’s all about them antlers, as there is ZERO biological backing for lowering buck limits. But if those limits can’t produce more mature (5.5+)bucks, what’s the point? Y’all want limits because they DO produce “bigger” bucks. And by bigger I mean good looking 2 and 3 yr olds. And they still get dead before they’re mature...but you feel better about yourself.

country

Ten Pointer
Anyone know why there is such a huge difference in central and eastern (ne and se) archery only season length? Over a month difference...

ABBD

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Here’s my theory, if you wanna call it that. This is based off my experiences in the central zone and I know that it may not translate to other regions.

Reducing the buck limit is a feel good measure that accomplishes so little as to be pointless. I believe that, on average, roughly half of any one age class of deer dies yearly.

Cars, hunters, ehd, disease, infection etc...it’s a tough life in the woods. Start with 40 fawns. You end up with 1.25 5.5yr old deer. Oh wait, half of those are does...so maybe you’ve got 3/4 of a 5.5yr old buck. Maybe.

Now y’all QDMers claim you want older bucks, but all you really want is bigger bucks. It’s all about them antlers, as there is ZERO biological backing for lowering buck limits. But if those limits can’t produce more mature (5.5+)bucks, what’s the point? Y’all want limits because they DO produce “bigger” bucks. And by bigger I mean good looking 2 and 3 yr olds. And they still get dead before they’re mature...but you feel better about yourself.

Ok ...ok I get it. No one likes big things. Even your avatar does not constitute what you are referring to correct? Looks like a nice bow kill to me... proud of it? Feel good about that one? Or was it just the first photo that came up that would do in a pinch? Just like in the Catch in Release thread... no one is commenting on the big “things” in there.... because you guys don’t much appreciate them.... I assume. Oh wait there are some post....Scratch that. After all big things strokes peoples big egos and big heads and such. Not good and not fair. Big buck hunters are bad...bad folks I tell ya. It’s comical to me. Ask about opinions on management practices and strategies and certain folks get all threatened and up tight on the subject.

I don’t know if you were referring to me as “y’all” but if you were read through the thread you would know where I stand on different issues.

Aaron871

Four Pointer
#1 I don’t have the knowledge or education to make that decision. I’ll leave it up to the professionals and just follow the rules...

#2 Everyone has their own goals and adventure that they are on.... mine evolves fast...lol. This year I’m not looking for or waiting for anything special. Just going to fill the freezer and have a fun, no stress season.

BUT, I am looking for a bear this season.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Ok ...ok I get it. No one likes big things. Even your avatar does not constitute what you are referring to correct? Looks like a nice bow kill to me... proud of it? Feel good about that one? Or was it just the first photo that came up that would do in a pinch? Just like in the Catch in Release thread... no one is commenting on the big “things” in there.... because you guys don’t much appreciate them.... I assume. Oh wait there are some post....Scratch that. After all big things strokes peoples big egos and big heads and such. Not good and not fair. Big buck hunters are bad...bad folks I tell ya. It’s comical to me. Ask about opinions on management practices and strategies and certain folks get all threatened and up tight on the subject.

I don’t know if you were referring to me as “y’all” but if you were read through the thread you would know where I stand on different issues.
I guess my point didn’t translate. Of course I like killing old, big, bucks. I suck less at it than a lot of people. But you’re the one that asked for opinions on management...so here’s mine in black and white.

State mandated trophy hunting(ie buck limits, aprs, eab, etc...) was, is, and always will be, complete and utter BS.

The ONLY thing that works is trigger finger management. And that should ALWAYS be a personal decision. I was never in support of the 2 buck limit in the central. I’m not in support of the statewide 2 buck limit. I will certainly never support a 1 buck limit in NC.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Big buck hunters are bad...bad folks I tell ya. It’s comical to me. Ask about opinions on management practices and strategies and certain folks get all threatened and up tight on the subject.

No...big buck hunters are not bad. Big buck hunters who try to force everyone else to hunt their way are bad. Hunt however you want. Just leave me out of it. And that includes attempts at litigating/legislating trophy management.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Hunter harvest is by far the #1 source of yearly mortality for adult deer. (extreme EHD outbreaks notwithstanding) Lowering buck limits at some point does produce older bucks. And bigger bucks. Both of which I like. I also like to feel good about myself. And shooting a big buck makes me feel good.

This is a value judgment. Many of our hunting regulations are not based on biology but on value and tradition. And that's not wrong. In most cases they enrich the hunting experience. If deer didn't have antlers, we wouldn't have different limits for the sexes at all.

Some states value old/big bucks much more than we do. And people from our state who value old/big bucks go there to hunt them. Then they come home and complain that our state puts too much value on old/big bucks.

nontypical

Ten Pointer
When it was 4 bucks here in the east I never limited out anyways. I'm selective. If I want deer meat or if I want to shoot a deer and donate it, I will pop a doe. It don't bother me that we have a 2 buck limit now because that is about how many I was shooting before they implemented the 2 buck rule anyways.

I don't have a problem if a hunter wants to use his 2 buck tags on spikes every year. I just don't want to hear him complain about not seeing any rack bucks.

Me personally, I have two places to hunt. One is a good place to see deer, the bucks ain't really much to speak of. Me and my buddy decided if you like it .... shoot it. The other place has a size restriction on the bucks. I feel like I have one place to take the boys to shoot what they want. The other place I have a better chance to shoot a nice buck.

Sp8

Ten Pointer
Deer management to me is a lot like religion. There are so many different beliefs out there and we all preach our own. If I want older and bigger bucks then i'll let younger and smaller deer walk, my choice. Now there are others who want meat and only meat, they should be allowed to harvest as they please to fill their freezers. I don't need anybody knocking on my door giving me a pamphlet asking if my hunting property has been saved.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Hunter harvest is by far the #1 source of yearly mortality for adult deer.
I don’t believe the published deer/vehicle collision number for a second. I know how many cars I fix in a year with deer guts on em. That’s 1/8th of what comes through 1 shop.