NC Brook Trout

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I been fishing that park for many years in shorts any tennis shoes guess I'd better get me some them snake gators for next timešŸ˜‚. One thing for sure is he is demonstrating how NOT to handle and release A trout unless you want it to end up dead or diseased of course. you are correct its a beautiful park my favorite state park and the brooks are beautiful fish

DarrinG

Six Pointer
The southern Appalachian Brook Trout is the only native trout (actually a char) to NC. Wild populations of other trout are here but not native. "Specs" as we call`em, are special fish to me...deserve protection and respect.

Vannoyboy

Eight Pointer
I been fishing that park for many years in shorts any tennis shoes guess I'd better get me some them snake gators for next timešŸ˜‚. One thing for sure is he is demonstrating how NOT to handle and release A trout unless you want it to end up dead or diseased of course. you are correct its a beautiful park my favorite state park and the brooks are beautiful fish
Exactly what I was thinking, why kill a beautiful fish like that

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
My releases have gotten a whole lot cleaner since I went to a 4ā€™-6ā€ rod and having my pliers on a retractable tether. I never have to get a fish out of the water or even touch it to release. Just pull close, flick the hook and he swims away.

If i decide to kill one, I whip them up in the woods and hit them on the head with a whomping stick.

Everyone should keep their pliers on a leash. Donā€™t touch them unless you kill them.

6/10 ā€œreleasedā€ fish die from bad handling.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
My releases have gotten a whole lot cleaner since I went to a 4ā€™-6ā€ rod and having my pliers on a retractable tether. I never have to get a fish out of the water or even touch it to release. Just pull close, flick the hook and he swims away.

If i decide to kill one, I whip them up in the woods and hit them on the head with a whomping stick.

Everyone should keep their pliers on a leash. Donā€™t touch them unless you kill them.

6/10 ā€œreleasedā€ fish die from bad handling.
I do same with wild ones they never leave water most any time. Now stockers are getting handled rough all way to frying pan

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Theyā€™re all fragile til they make the size I need that day.
I also fish a lot during off times when you canā€™t keep fish. So to justify the pursuit, I make sure to never touch them if at all possible.

Now, when season is open, Iā€™m coming home with dead fish if I catch any of the size I like to mess with

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I may or may not be able to tell you how long a 21ā€ brood sow brook will last in the leg of a set of hip waders that took water over the top, and never emptied in a hasty ride back from the DH above lake Logan, back to Clyde..... if such an event ever occurred, say.....circa 2005ish šŸ˜’

longbow

Spike
Stone mtn has 3 sets streams delayed harvest a trophy catch and release and wild sections down rd is basin creek caught bunch wild rainbows there over years
Can't forget Garden Creek ,Widow Creek, Miner Creek and Bullhead Creek- all have wild fish ( Bull Head is not the trophy stream it once was but it still fishes well- especially WAAAAAAAY up past old Beat#8 near the ParkWay) Lots of native brooks and wild rainbows.
Upper Sandys and sections of the East Prong also hold wild fish too.
Never wore the Snake Gaiters before but have had my share of Timber and copper Head encounters. Just let em' be and continue fishin'