NC boat Registration?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I think, I am not positive they require it to be a notarized bill of sale now. They used to not require it be notarized.

Stickem'

Six Pointer
Purchasing a used vessel
To properly register and title a used vessel you will need to submit the following:
Purchasing a titled vessel from an individual
  • Completed VL-1 Form (PDF).
  • The original North Carolina title properly assigned with the seller’s signature notarized in the transfer section. If you are purchasing this vessel from out of state you will need to submit the original out of state title properly assigned and notarized. If the original out of state title does not require notarization of the seller’s signature our office will accept it as a valid proof of ownership document as long as the transfer section of the title is completed properly by the seller.
  • The appropriate fee.

Purchasing a non-titled vessel from an individual
  • Notarized bill of sale. Click here for an Example Bill of Sale (PDF). If you are purchasing this vessel from a non-titling state you will need to submit a copy of the seller’s out of state vessel registration card as proof they were the last registered owner of the vessel.
  • The appropriate fee.

Purchasing a titled or non-titled vessel from a Dealership
  • Dealer’s bill of sale. The bill of sale must contain the vessel’s 12 digit hull identification number.
  • Original North Carolina title or original out of state title or if coming from a non-titling state a copy of the out of state registration card.
  • The appropriate fee.

Used vessels can be registered for a period of 1 or 3 years and any vessel 14ft in length or greater or a personal watercraft (i.e. jet ski) is required to be titled. You may register and title your vessel by mail or in person at a local Wildlife Service Agent.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just went through it. Yes they require the form, and yes, it has to be signed and notarized. Took me two weeks to send it by mail to the original owner, have her sign it, get it notarized, and send it back to me. Took that to them. They gave me numbers and a temporary permit to operate. Then I got a letter from Raleigh that wanted me to send either a picture or a shaded copy of the Hull Identification Number. Sent that back to them along with a nice note asking when they thought I might actually be able to go fishing. Got decals two weeks later...

Clark

Ten Pointer
Bought a used boat before last duck season. Took multiple trips to the DMV and several attempts with the NCWRC to get the boat and trailer registered/titled. Would never have gotten it done except the seller was willing to repeatedly complete and get notarized the several different forms required, as the requirements changed depending on who you asked. DMV was worse than NCWRC. Duck season was over before I was able to use the boat, hoping for better this year.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
all you people that mail everything in are wasting your time. go to a marina or DMV that does boat titles, they will fill out the paperwork on their system, and ISSUE a temp regestration and Boat id numbers. then you can put the numbers on your boat and your legal until you get your regular registration filled.

even doing this i always end up having to send something else in to the NCWRC but i use the boat until i have the full registration with no problems.

I just got a new boat two months ago. still havent gotten my regular registration back up temp is good for 6 months i think. either way i have been stopped twice for no sticker showed the paperwork and they said have a nice day.

“J”

Twelve Pointer
all you people that mail everything in are wasting your time. go to a marina or DMV that does boat titles, they will fill out the paperwork on their system, and ISSUE a temp regestration and Boat id numbers. then you can put the numbers on your boat and your legal until you get your regular registration filled.

even doing this i always end up having to send something else in to the NCWRC but i use the boat until i have the full registration with no problems.

I just got a new boat two months ago. still havent gotten my regular registration back up temp is good for 6 months i think. either way i have been stopped twice for no sticker showed the paperwork and they said have a nice day.
My plan is too do just that. I like to talk to people I’m dealing with one on one....

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
My plan is too do just that. I like to talk to people I’m dealing with one on one....

If you go into the NCWRC for boat registration, set aside some time. Like...an afternoon. And pack a lunch. Its that bad.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I was kinda forced to mail initially, the previous owners lived 85 miles away. Took the returned form to my local DMV office, in and out, and had no problems. Got my numbers from them and the temporary permit to operate. What I didn't understand was why, with accurate numbers on the form they provided, someone in Raleigh felt the need for a photo of those numbers. HB(the initials on the return envelope) must have been having a bad day....

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
for this interested,,,a small set of hints,,,

register the boat at some sporting goods store you trust,,,I use Godwin's but many will work,,,make sure to have old registration or a signed bill of sale if a purchase,,,

go to some small towns DMV to register the trailer,,,,or by mail,,,don't go into one in even medium sized towns,,,heck Raeford's get packed even,

but then the same goes for post offices (y)

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
They gave me trouble registering my boat when I got it from my dad. Florida doesn't require titles to be notarized.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
I just bought a used boat early June. I tried to register using a notarized bill of sale....didn't work. If there is a title associated with the boat, you have to have that signed over to you and notarized for registration.

willsu21

Button Buck
Doesn’t make sense. Not sure if you were the seller or buyer. But how can a bill of sale be legal if buyer and seller were not present before a notary? If both buyer and seller have to sign the bill of sale then the notary should verify that both parties are who they say they are. So who’s responsibility is it to notarized the Bill of sale? Buyer or seller? Thanks.

dfitzy

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Glad this was posted. My neighbor gave me their 12 ft v hull Jon boat. I have a motor ready for it but need to get the boat registered to use the motor on it. Glad to hear the good and bad. Thanks for posting

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
All I can tell you is that when I presented a handwritten bill of sale at the DMV they laughed and gave me a state Bill of Sale form. I filled it out completely except for the seller's signature and mailed it to the seller. They signed it on front of notary and mailed it back.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Doesn’t make sense. Not sure if you were the seller or buyer. But how can a bill of sale be legal if buyer and seller were not present before a notary? If both buyer and seller have to sign the bill of sale then the notary should verify that both parties are who they say they are. So who’s responsibility is it to notarized the Bill of sale? Buyer or seller? Thanks.
The notarized bill of sale can be done so they stamp just shows the current owner listed on the BOS and signed it agree to the paper work. Is does not need to be in the presence of the new owner and they will.be there in person to show they are the correct person doing the new paperwork.
BOS it works as it is just proof of seller agreement to sell.
The title needs both to be open most cases. If not it is an open title and NC does not like that. If you get an open title you need to fill out your name before you take to NCDMV.

They don't like an open title as that is what shady dealers do and use.
They will take that open title.and fill your name in. Doing so it does not show them as owner of it ever and tax and loan may not be clear.

That is why you here the used car story about getting one.and it does not have a clean title. Someone I know has one. Car has set for almost a year. They can not get a clear title so they can't get tags. Do to death of the original owner.

Ridgeline66

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I didn't have to do any of that, took notarized title to marina asked if they needed BOS, said nope. Then took notarized title for trailer to dmv, no bill of sale asked for, boom done.

Clark

Ten Pointer