NC beaches

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
They have not had a good year for publicity. Between the RIP current drownings, 2 shark attacks and photos of two large alligators I wonder if it will hurt tourism. The beaches need more lifeguards for sure.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Dont think going have any effect. Go to outerbanks 4th july week think you will find no drop in visitors at all. Try getting on bypass without going to stop light. Or going to grocery store in the afternoon

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
None of that's ever turned away folks from the greater MB area beaches and they always have drownings and shark bites. Gracious, I remember seeing a shark in the shallows between me and my kids one time in the summer at MB State Park.

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
You are underestimating how stupid people are...

I caught about a 3ft. bonnet head shark in the surf and a guy got mad at me because I let it go... he said "kids swim out there and you just released a shark!" I said, "sir, it's the ocean, that's where sharks live, and by sharks I mean millions, not just the one I caught, so if you're worried about your kids getting bit my advice would be not to let them play where sharks live."

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
As far as I'm concerned if your stupid enough to go into the ocean you deserve to drown or be eaten by sharks and gators. Everytime I hear of someone drowning at the beach I have to chuckle. I mean duh...they walked INTO THE FRIGGIN OCEAN of their own free will knowing that they have become bait or that they could drown.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
You are underestimating how stupid people are...

I caught about a 3ft. bonnet head shark in the surf and a guy got mad at me because I let it go... he said "kids swim out there and you just released a shark!" I said, "sir, it's the ocean, that's where sharks live, and by sharks I mean millions, not just the one I caught, so if you're worried about your kids getting bit my advice would be not to let them play where sharks live."

Kind of my thinking as well. I know the drownings made the national news last week and thought it might start having an impact.

As far as rips go we always take my 3yr old to radio anyways because its calmer there anyways.

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
IF YOU LOOK AT STATISTICS, per how many people get in the water at all the nc beaches ,I mean 100's of thousands per year to how many drown or are bitten by anything ,your chances are very,very slim of either especialy of being bitten by a shark, if you drown that is pretty much your own fault, unless you are trying to save someone else who ultimatley but you in danger for being stupid. nothing to do with the location i would suspect more people drown in pools per year than the ocean.

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
IF YOU LOOK AT STATISTICS, per how many people get in the water at all the nc beaches ,I mean 100's of thousands per year to how many drown or are bitten by anything ,your chances are very,very slim of either especialy of being bitten by a shark, if you drown that is pretty much your own fault, unless you are trying to save someone else who ultimatley but you in danger for being stupid. nothing to do with the location i would suspect more people drown in pools per year than the ocean.

Yea I’ll take my chances. I love riding the boogie board with the kids and going to have to piss at some point.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
As far as I'm concerned if your stupid enough to go into the ocean you deserve to drown or be eaten by sharks and gators. Everytime I hear of someone drowning at the beach I have to chuckle. I mean duh...they walked INTO THE FRIGGIN OCEAN of their own free will knowing that they have become bait or that they could drown.

Damn I hope for the sake of hypocrisy you don’t ever drive a car or walk on a sidewalk...............

CoonHntr

Four Pointer
So, does everyone that travels on a plane deserve to crash and die, since they were stupid enough to be thousands of feet off the ground? What an asinine comment...

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I've flown in a lot of planes, big and small. But I could always see my feet and I never got bit by a shark, gator, jellyfish, crab, stepped on an oyster shell nor got an infection that clorox couldn't cure. When you step into the ocean you step into and become part of a big living bowl of nasty soup. :ROFLMAO:

For those of you who like numbers...
Chances of dying in a plane crash: 1 in 18 million
Chances of getting attacked by a shark: 1 in 3.7 million

Last edited:

witler

Eight Pointer
There will not be a decline in tourism, for every family that decides not to come, there will be two to replace them.
We are at EI now with the inlaws. Before we came everyone said that they would not get in the water, ha ha can't keep them out of the water.

Last edited:

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
As most people who fish in salt water, especially from a boat know there are lots of sharks and other things in the ocean that can do harm to humans. Cap'n Frank and I have seen fins lots of times sometimes only a 100 yards or so off the beach. Once we saw a school of 8 or 10 working on a tide line where a shrimper had just dumped his bycatch. We moved along as we didn't want to catch any of them. Last summer one of the guys fishing for kings on Mercer's pier let my grandson reel in a six foot spinner shark. He cut the line when it got beside the pier. I have a saying, the ocean is no place for puny humans.
'

beavercleaver

Twelve Pointer
There are noticibly more sharks out there now...seems a coincidence that the fish huggers who only allow anglers to keep one shark per day and it has to be 54 inches to the fork...let us stock up on fresh shark steak I feel it's better for us to ear them rather than them eat us

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
I work in Atlantic Beach. Condos and hotels damages from Florence are hurting our tourism much more than drownings and shark bites.

As a surfer I have pulled people,out of the water that could not handle the ocean current. If you can't read the rip currents from shore I would tread very lightly into the ocean.

Sharks? Yep. Plenty of those.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/8...in-the-state-this-month/ar-AACYG7q?li=BBnbfcL

An 8-year-old boy was attacked by a shark while swimming off the North Carolina coaston Sunday afternoon, officials said.
The boy, whose name was not released, was in the water just off Bald Head Island when he was bitten on the leg, Village Manager Chris McCall said in a statement.

Village officials said they determined the boy was bitten by a shark based on an assessment by first responders and the wounds he sustained. The size and type of shark are unknown.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
well it does beg the question:
More sharks?
More people ?
better instant communications of the attacks?
all three?

I am asking not arguing but it sure seems we hear of "more" now than years ago.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
The shark attacks might keep people out of the water for a little while, but they are still gonna pile in on the coast. I loathe even going to the beach between may and September. If i go to take the boat and fish its for just a day, or we get a hotel several miles outside to save driving so early. When we left saturday afternoon from Holden, the traffic was backed all the way across the bridge to the stop light, and was bumper to bumper almost to green swamp.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
well it does beg the question:
More sharks?
More people ?
better instant communications of the attacks?
all three?

I am asking not arguing but it sure seems we hear of "more" now than years ago.

I think its a combo, more people means more chances its simple statistics....that and the waters off NC coast are lousy with sharks.....

Personally I doubt the sharks attacks keep many people away, or even out of the water, folks tend to have the mindset that they spent 1-3k for the week to be on the beach and they are damn well getting into the ocean. They dont think that they will be the "ones" to get pulled out in a rip or bitten by a shark and well they are probably right.

Still at the end of the day as a kid and younger adult I dont remember nearly as many people drowning at the beach as we see now every year, it seems like 12-20 people drown every year now and it sure doesnt seem like it was that many back in the 80-90's. Then again maybe I was just not paying attention....