NC Backcountry Hunters & Anglers Tour

a_silverman

Button Buck
Howdy readers. First, I am NOT posting this on behalf or with the permission of the organization itself. However, I don't think they'd mind.

Backcountry Hunters & Anglers recently added a chapter of its organization right here in our great state of North Carolina. If you don't know what these guys and gals do, it's pretty easy to understand. They are, on a very basic level, the voice for sportsmen and women in high level conversations regarding public lands and our rights to use them. Their specific interests revolve around access & opportunity, public land & waters, and fair chase. They are, in my humble opinion, one of the strongest advocacy groups for the protection and conservation of our public lands in the United States right now-take that as you may.

Because I've hardly scratched the surface of this great organization, you should check them out here -->https://www.backcountryhunters.org/

Here's the good news, NC now has an active chapter of BHA, and the word is spreading like wildfire. There's a short tour they'll be conducting in just a few weeks across some of the larger areas of North Carolina, and if you'd like to learn more the events are open to the public. These are nothing official, just a good night of "around the campfire" types of conversations between like minded individuals passionate about becoming involved in protecting these wild places we all know, love and frequently use. Oh, and there's beer.

Here's the schedule:

Monday, August 6th-New Belgium in Asheville 6:30-8:30 PM
Tuesday, August 7th-Heist Brewing in Charlotte 6:30-8:30 PM
Wednesday, August 8th-Trophy Brewing Co. in Raleigh 6:30-8:30
Thursday, August 9th-Pitt Street Brewing Co. in Greenville 6:30-8:30 PM
Friday, August 10th-Wilmington Brewing Co. in Wilmington 6:30-8:30

Again, these events are FREE to attend, and you aren't obligated to anything by coming. Just come see what it's all about, talk to some folks with shared interests and enjoy a cold beer or two, or three.

I hope to see you all there (I'll be at the New Belgium pint night and the Charlotte pint night, name's Aaron, I'd love to chat)

Attachments

• BHA_Pint_Night_Tour_2018_v5_ALL.pdf
    806.2 KB · Views: 10

LiverEatingJoe

Button Buck
I'm a member of BHA and it would be good to meet up with some folks. I'm hoping to make the Asheville one if I can get back from my hunting property on time.

DarrinG

Six Pointer
I've followed the BHA social media stuff for several months. Maybe it's a younger generation thing, but all the fist-pumping, "hell yeah, bad-a$$" in-your-face type stuff that gets posted don't often set well with me. I believe 100% in keeping our public lands public, and yes, I'm a public land hunter and yes I am a public land owner, I get it. I also believe in supporting the causes to keep our public lands OURS. I'm just not too crazy about the way most BHA folks are going about it. Maybe I just grew up in a different era and don't get it, but never the less, some of their membership's tactics are not my style. If I'm wrong, someone enlighten me.

a_silverman

Button Buck
I've followed the BHA social media stuff for several months. Maybe it's a younger generation thing, but all the fist-pumping, "hell yeah, bad-a$$" in-your-face type stuff that gets posted don't often set well with me. I believe 100% in keeping our public lands public, and yes, I'm a public land hunter and yes I am a public land owner, I get it. I also believe in supporting the causes to keep our public lands OURS. I'm just not too crazy about the way most BHA folks are going about it. Maybe I just grew up in a different era and don't get it, but never the less, some of their membership's tactics are not my style. If I'm wrong, someone enlighten me.

Hey Darrin, thanks for taking the time to read the post. I understand where you're coming from. What's important to remember here is that we're all on the same team, and what works for one person may not necessarily work for the next, that's totally okay.

However, it is important to keep it in mind that we're in a very serious situation. Hunter numbers are declining, and fast. As grave as it may sound, we can't all hunt forever. The world is changing, people are changing, and if we want to see this way of life that we love continue for generations to come we're going to have to embrace new ways of going about how we talk about these problems.

Remember, we're all doing the same thing at the end of the day. How we do it or how we got there doesn't necessarily mean as much as the fact that we're there and we're doing it. The traditional ways of hunting are changing and I'm in the camp of not thinking that's a bad thing. We need to do what we can to get people outside. In a world of teens and young adults with historically short attention spans, record low numbers of "time spent outdoors" and growing movements to demonize hunting, we have all GOT to figure out how to keep our way of life sustainable. Fighting any change in the way folks go about it won't help the cause.

As for your concerns regarding BHA specifically, those are yours to keep and believe if you so feel. I'd urge you to look at the work they do and less at their social media posts. If you have done so and you still don't want to be a part of it, that's okay. Find what works for you to help young folks enjoy the outdoors, figure out what you can do to keep the fire burning and I'll be happy you're doing your part.

Thanks
-Aaron

LTCNC_Sam

Button Buck
@a_silverman - Looking forward to the Charlotte pint night. Thanks for sharing.
@DarrinG - I haven't really seen that fist-pumping stuff from the BHA crowd. From what I can tell, it's mostly just western hunters / fishermen who also like flat-billed trucker hats, expensive backpacking gear, and finding morel mushrooms.
But they're promoting ethical hunting and the protection of public access land - so i'll support the cause. Especially since we've got a NC chapter now that we can make our own. And any group that's engaging young hunters is important if we hope to pass on this tradition to the next generation.