NC 2021 HS Graduates Free Comm. College.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I wonder why they have the FAFSA requirement.

May be to see if they qualify for other grants/scholarships to offset this one, and allow for more students to receive the deal.

On top of my GI Bill, I received a few grants when I went through CC. I had to apply for most of them, but one just "showed up." I had never applied for it, but with my tuition being covered, I was able to use it to buy more tools for the trade.

Then, there may be a family income threshold. I don't know.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
If you know any undecided 2021 graduates, or if you know one who's already applied to any NC Community College, they more than likely can receive 2 years of free tuition.

Itā€™s cute how they describe it

At the beginning of the year, our state received nearly $138 million in aid from the Governor's Emergency Education Relief fund at the beginning of this year. Cooper and the North Carolina community college system created the Longleaf Grant.

It should actually read

At the beginning of the year, our state took nearly $138 million in tax money and created the Longleaf Grant which will benefit floundering bureaucracy riddled NC community colleges

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
bureaucracy riddled NC community colleges
You got that right. I went to a tech school in Asheville. The amount of policies , procedures , and requirements there were unreal. And Iā€™m not even talking about for the students. The razors edge that the instructors had to walk every day was nuts. I was real grateful for the ones i had....they pushed thru all of it for the sake of teaching folks and get them into the blue collar working world. My main instructor was a guy that really spoke my language. Turned out his father was a retired SF guy. My instructor almost got fired after 25 years of teaching because he told our class that ā€œsome of you need to have thicker skin. The construction industry can be a very volatile environment.ā€ School admins dragged him across the coals and said his words were not uplifting or encouraging enough, and harmful. šŸ˜‘

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
You got that right. I went to a tech school in Asheville. The amount of policies , procedures , and requirements there were unreal. And Iā€™m not even talking about for the students. The razors edge that the instructors had to walk every day was nuts. I was real grateful for the ones i had....they pushed thru all of it for the sake of teaching folks and get them into the blue collar working world. My main instructor was a guy that really spoke my language. Turned out his father was a retired SF guy. My instructor almost got fired after 25 years of teaching because he told our class that ā€œsome of you need to have thicker skin. The construction industry can be a very volatile environment.ā€ School admins dragged him across the coals and said his words were not uplifting or encouraging enough, and harmful. šŸ˜‘

Must've been because it was in Asheville. A&P school at GTCC didn't give a damn about anyone's feelings, and I loved it.

If your butt wasn't in the seat the minute class started, you were tardy. That's 1 hour. 3 tardies=5 hours. Miss 10% of any class. Automatic fail.

Shouting matches between students and staff were a weekly occurrence, in the beginning. About halfway through, the troubled ones were weeded out. Their distractions weren't missed. We started with 24. Two years later, we ended with 11.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Must've been because it was in Asheville. A&P school at GTCC didn't give a damn about anyone's feelings, and I loved it.

If your butt wasn't in the seat the minute class started, you were tardy. That's 1 hour. 3 tardies=5 hours. Miss 10% of any class. Automatic fail.

Shouting matches between students and staff were a weekly occurrence. About halfway through, the troubled ones were weeded out. Their distractions weren't missed. We started with 24. Two years later, we ended with 11.
Youā€™re correct. And thatā€™s awesome. Apparently thatā€™s how the program used to be run until it was deemed immoral. I appreciated him tho. He knew about my past struggles and how being blunt and direct motivated me and made me demand more of myself. We banged heads a lot in them weld booths and he was extremely critical of my weld tests. I thrive in that environment. But it was a two way street and I was encouraged to speak my mind. Then ya throw a 24 year old 0311 marine grunt in the mix that I took a liking to and it was great. Weā€™d have our instructor in tears from laughing more often than not. I need to reach out to my instructor and say thanks for everything. Thanks for the reminder , B&B

Bluecord

Six Pointer
Itā€™s cute how they describe it
At the beginning of the year, our state received nearly $138 million in aid from the Governor's Emergency Education Relief fund at the beginning of this year. Cooper and the North Carolina community college system created the Longleaf Grant.

It should actually read
At the beginning of the year, our state took nearly $138 million in tax money and created the Longleaf Grant which will benefit floundering bureaucracy riddled NC community colleges
More like:

At the beginning of the year, we dipped into a small portion of our booty that we stole from you through the threat of imprisonment/death. Lord Cooper is a generous god and has decided to treat the plebeians to a indoctrination camp of their own choice. If you do not meet the requirements due to being financially responsible, we will continue to raise taxes on you in hopes of one day, that you too, will be dependent upon our lords appointed over you.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
More like:

At the beginning of the year, we dipped into a small portion of our booty that we stole from you through the threat of imprisonment/death. Lord Cooper is a generous god and has decided to treat the plebeians to a indoctrination camp of their own choice. If you do not meet the requirements due to being financially responsible, we will continue to raise taxes on you in hopes of one day, that you too, will be dependent upon our lords appointed over you.

well played,,,,,,,