Navy relieves commander of carrier

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Military has a chain of command. The decision to broadcast that info was above his pay grade.

the business world has a Chain of command too. My Pet peeve is for someone under me to go over my head. Then they wonder why they didn't get that raise.

mekanizm

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Breaking the chain of command is fraught with risks. Superiors can get really bent over it (and rightfully so).

With the Roosevelt it is an interesting dilemma. A suddenly "disabled" nuclear aircraft carrier is as classified as it gets so there are obvious and immediate consequences when that information is improperly outed and I get that. Also, these are virile young men and women, some of the least impacted people by this virus and while spreading on the ship no one was considered seriously ill.

One thing for certain, the MSM is all in on the PANIC, PANIC, PANIC hype. Maybe this had an influence here.

Too bad this Captain was faced with this.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
the business world has a Chain of command too. My Pet peeve is for someone under me to go over my head. Then they wonder why they didn't get that raise.

That's odd....where I work if I'm not getting the answer I want at a given level, I will go to that person's boss in a heartbeat. Now, if I'm out of line that boss will likely smack me down. But if I'm not out of line, I get what I want. Thats why there is a hierarchy in the first place.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That's odd....where I work if I'm not getting the answer I want at a given level, I will go to that person's boss in a heartbeat. Now, if I'm out of line that boss will likely smack me down. But if I'm not out of line, I get what I want. Thats why there is a hierarchy in the first place.

Hell I go as high as I need to ....to get the outcome I think needs to happen.

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I see he was doing what was best for his ship. Now 150 cases plus himself with the virus, don’t see how a Capt doing whats best for his ship deserves dismissal. After reading Modly’s response I stand by he was worried more about the politics of it versus anything else.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Normally if the chain of command is respectable and acts appropriately, meaning supervisors do their job and due diligence, it’s seldom jumped, but I’m not military, so what do I know 🤷🏼‍♂️.

Where I work, it’s only jumped by those that have constant issues otherwise, or where the one(s) jumped were found to be inept. Both have been dealt with accordingly, and restoration of COC occurred properly.

Like I said though, I’m not military, and this thing is so political that proper views likely won’t be given regardless.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I see he was doing what was best for his ship. Now 150 cases plus himself with the virus, don’t see how a Capt doing whats best for his ship deserves dismissal. After reading Modly’s response I stand by he was worried more about the politics of it versus anything else.

I don't think its appropriate that the entire world now knows that one of our carriers is out of commission and will likely be so for quite awhile. That's why I would support his dismissal.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
I don't think its appropriate that the entire world now knows that one of our carriers is out of commission and will likely be so for quite awhile. That's why I would support his dismissal.

I agree, however I don’t think there’s a power in this world that we have any worry over that doesn’t know every move that ship makes. I know that’s not the point.

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
The man that relieved him of his duties.....Thomas B. Modly is an American businessman and government official who has served as Acting United States Secretary of the Navy since November 24, 2019.......I’ll side with the Capt with 25 years of service 100 fold over this political hack.....

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You just can't make this stuff up.

"Acting" Secretary of the Navy Modley flies halfway around the world to address the crew of the USS Theodore Roosevelt, and in the process, personally attacks the beloved CO he just relieved.

Did he think THAT wouldn't leak to the press?

In the military, the Chain of Command works BOTH WAYS. Subordinate personnel have a duty to report problems / concerns up the chain, but superiors also have a duty to address those concerns in a timely and professional manner. By personally attacking Capt Crozier, the "acting" SecNav just blew up any chance that a board of inquiry into this affair will be viewed as "fair and impartial".

My guess is that "Acting" SecNav Modley's days as "Acting" are numbered.............

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns

To be clear , they can go over my head but I need to know about it. Dont do it behind my back. So, They can go "over my head" but they had better not do it w/o telling me. I am fine if they are not satisfied with my response and wish to speak with my boss but they need to say I am going/wish to speak to him/her and I say fine. That is the way it should work. the only time imho that you should go over someones head w/o them knowing it is in something like sexual harassment, suspected stealing or something like that by your immediate boss.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
To be clear , they can go over my head but I need to know about it. Dont do it behind my back. So, They can go "over my head" but they had better not do it w/o telling me. I am fine if they are not satisfied with my response and wish to speak with my boss but they need to say I am going/wish to speak to him/her and I say fine. That is the way it should work. the only time imho that you should go over someones head w/o them knowing it is in something like sexual harassment, suspected stealing or something like that by your immediate boss.

Dude. It’s Big Macs and French fries.

McChill

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

I’ve worked in both situations. Worked under folks that you didn’t have to go over their head. They made decisions and were fair. If you made a decision they accepted it and backed your play even if they privately scolded you for it. They took responsibility for their folks.

I’ve also worked under ones that were very micro in management style. Everything had to go through them no matter what. They could tell you what they wanted done and point the finger at you if it didn’t work out.

Luckily, I have also seen one who I think has broken through thy style. I think that person finally learned that if the chain of command operates as it should, people don’t have to go over you. Also, part of being in command is accepting responsibility for actions of your own and those under you.

I think the captain was right....and I think the Navy is right to get rid of him. Sometimes it works that way.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You just can't make this stuff up.

"Acting" Secretary of the Navy Modley flies halfway around the world to address the crew of the USS Theodore Roosevelt, and in the process, personally attacks the beloved CO he just relieved.

Did he think THAT wouldn't leak to the press?

In the military, the Chain of Command works BOTH WAYS. Subordinate personnel have a duty to report problems / concerns up the chain, but superiors also have a duty to address those concerns in a timely and professional manner. By personally attacking Capt Crozier, the "acting" SecNav just blew up any chance that a board of inquiry into this affair will be viewed as "fair and impartial".

My guess is that "Acting" SecNav Modley's days as "Acting" are numbered.............

And the SECNAV is gone. as it should be.. not for relieving the Captain but for being an IDIOT in front of the men still on the ship.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Who didn't see this coming, Brett?

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Navy officials are now calling for his reinstatement. If so, I'm not so sure it wouldn't be a first....
On a side note, one sailor from the ship has died while 800+ have been infected, including the current Captain who is currently hospitalized with the virus.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Hopefully, this skipper will get a fair hearing w/o it becoming more political than it already has been.

My guess is that he'll be allowed to continue in his career, maybe even gain an at-sea command again some day. But I doubt he'll be reinstated to command of the USS Roosevelt. Too many ruffled feathers in the command hierarchy right now for that to happen.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Hopefully, this skipper will get a fair hearing w/o it becoming more political than it already has been.

My guess is that he'll be allowed to continue in his career, maybe even gain an at-sea command again some day. But I doubt he'll be reinstated to command of the USS Roosevelt. Too many ruffled feathers in the command hierarchy right now for that to happen.

The ruffled feathers were from his firing, for the most part. Will be interesting to see what happens going forward. We will see in the next couple of weeks.

outdrsmn

Six Pointer
I think he is to be commended for falling on his own sword. He saved many lives by taking action though it has set back his career. All is not lost, he will land on his feet.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Been around the military a day or two in my life time. You don't broadcast weaknesses to the enemy. It could give them an incentive to attempt to take advantage of the situation/your weaknesses. I strongly believed in taking care of my troops during those "few" days in the military. I got into most of my hot water during my career for taking care of my troops but I always handled these situations within the chain of command and in the end I came out the winner in practically all case.

Feel sorry for what has happened to what appears to be an excellent individual but he did a NO NO and that cannot be allowed to set an example.