Nasty Weather

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
Cap'n Frank and I took off the week of the 4th to stay out of the way of the crowds that go out then. So our plan to hit it hard this week has been shot down by Mother Nature. When I called him today to check in he said he had good news, which I was surprised to hear. I asked what it was and he said at least we weren't burning any gas at $4 plus at the marina. We're looking at the possibility of Tstorms every day this week and the seas are not in our range (which is 3 feet or less). Oh well, there's plenty of summer left and we'll get out there eventually.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
I'm at Oak Island all week and those seas are the same limit for me. Inland fishing has produced trout and redfish but no keepers.

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
Cap'n Frank and I took off the week of the 4th to stay out of the way of the crowds that go out then. So our plan to hit it hard this week has been shot down by Mother Nature. When I called him today to check in he said he had good news, which I was surprised to hear. I asked what it was and he said at least we weren't burning any gas at $4 plus at the marina. We're looking at the possibility of Tstorms every day this week and the seas are not in our range (which is 3 feet or less). Oh well, there's plenty of summer left and we'll get out there eventually.

That’s a huge bummer... the missed fishing and the high gas price!!!

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
yeah I need to start looking at it that way.
just think of all that saved gas while I am not fishing.
that's what I find so funny. spending a zillion bucks to catch them, in my case release them, others may kill some but not enough to come close to the investment.
WITH is wrong with us fishermen? LOLZ

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
Same with duck hunting, we tallied it up one year the cost per lb on the meat was a couple hundred dollars.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My wife’s done the same thing for decades on the lbs of venison I’ve put into the freezer. If you tally it ALL up. The price gets scary.

But at the end of the day we’ve always kept the bills paid. Even did so while she was a stay at home mom for the first 18 years , til the oldest started college.

The real rewards aren’t in-the poundage. They’re in the stress relief.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
My wife’s done the same thing for decades on the lbs of venison I’ve put into the freezer. If you tally it ALL up. The price gets scary.

But at the end of the day we’ve always kept the bills paid. Even did so while she was a stay at home mom for the first 18 years , til the oldest started college.

The real rewards aren’t in-the poundage. They’re in the stress relief.
Absolutely, for what I spend hunting and fishing we could eat steak and lobster everyday and have money left over but I would be so miserable no one would eat with me. To be honest if I didn't spend it on those things I don't see the point in having any money

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I made the mistake once of adding up my expenses on out of state hunting trips and calculating the cost per pound of the game taken. Let me say that I was out in the shop, by myself and did it on a calculator (no tangible proof left) and to say I was astounded would be an understatement.
License, fuel, lodging, meals, etc. etc. no allowance was made for wear and tear on equipment but the cost just kept adding up and up.

Then I remembered the enjoyment, peace and quiet of the trip, seeing new places. meeting new people, the memorable shots made, the smile on my face, and when I put THAT number into the calculator I was suddenly making money going hunting!!! Imagine that.....

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
hen I remembered the enjoyment, peace and quiet of the trip,

that's right,,,it's a vacation not grocery shopping,,,,a vacation with eat benefits, but vacation none the less,,,

when the boss-lady starts saying anything I just start adding up what the dang Disney boondoggles cost!! she don't ask again for a while!

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
Not as fortunate as some so no hunting out of state, pretty much right at home so cost per pound of meat from hunting is in my favor, but time spent doing those things away from wife you still gotta listen to a little chatter every once in a while.