Nascar is dead....

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
I don’t understand the hate of the green whit checker. Not saying I’m a fan of it, but I just don’t understand when people don’t like that to finish a race. They used to finish races under a caution lap.

If you had the lead with 3 to go and they couldn’t get the track cleaned up in time, you won. The man in 2nd had no chance, atleast with the Green White Checker, he’s got a shot.

Well. The fact that all but 3 cars ended up trashed is the main thing. Driver safety is pretty far up there, too.
It seems fine on most tracks. Just not plate tracks.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Well. The fact that all but 3 cars ended up trashed is the main thing. Driver safety is pretty far up there, too.

Yeah things are different with the composite bodies....just look at the slow motion and crap flying everywhere. Not like the steel days where you had a crinkled fender....carbon makes a damn mess

Hank

Old Mossy Horns
Wait, is it the racing for the win in a Green/White/Checker that you don’t like, or the safety side of it? If it’s the safety side of it, I can promise you these guys are safer now than they were 10 years ago.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Wait, is it the racing for the win in a Green/White/Checker that you don’t like, or the safety side of it? If it’s the safety side of it, I can promise you these guys are safer now than they were 10 years ago.
Don't make this a ( ME ) thing. You asked a question. I answered it. Your question was along the lines of discussion between a couple friends of mine, and I think a post above here.
My personal opinion about the wrecks is both safety and trashed cars. That's one of my thoughts...

The other thought on the subject is I don't give a crap what they do. It ain't a race anymore, it's just a show.

Hank

Old Mossy Horns
Don't make this a ( ME ) thing. You asked a question. I answered it. Your question was along the lines of discussion between a couple friends of mine, and I think a post above here.
My personal opinion about the wrecks is both safety and trashed cars. That's one of my thoughts...

The other thought on the subject is I don't give a crap what they do. It ain't a race anymore, it's just a show.
Don’t get so butt hurt, I’m just trying to understand your take on things, Geez.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
IMO the green/white/checker finish has contributed to more people with good cars having a (in the end) terrible day.....than it has helped people with good cars have a good day. Too many get caught up in the frays (at the end).

On the flip side, this (above) is exactly what NASCAR thinks the general public wants....and by God they're going to deliver it to them. They're appeasing the instant gratification crowd and foresaking the crowd that built them.

That's just my opinion.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
IMO the green/white/checker finish has contributed to more people with good cars having a (in the end) terrible day.....than it has helped people with good cars have a good day. Too many get caught up in the frays (at the end).

On the flip side, this (above) is exactly what NASCAR thinks the general public wants....and by God they're going to deliver it to them. They're appeasing the instant gratification crowd and foresaking the crowd that built them.

That's just my opinion.
They've been doing that since the day after Sr. died.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Don’t get so butt hurt, I’m just trying to understand your take on things, Geez.
I'm not butt hurt hurt at all.

I will point out what you did was troll.

I gave you my viewpoints. It's a show. If I have NOTHING else to do, I'll watch. I used to be a huge fan. Not so die hard now. There's only 1 driver I like left in the whole field. The rest can go whizz up a rope for all I care.

Bring back the street car templates, bias ply tires, take away the power steering, and all metal bodies. All cars run their own manufacturers' parts ONLY. i.e. only Ford gets the 9"Ford rearend. Only the Chevy's get the Chevy steering box. And there MUST be 500 V-8 models of the car running sold in the US the previous year...🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Then,,,,,, it'll be at least interesting again.

Last edited:

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I was always sorry when a driver got hurt, or worse, died. But they were grown men who made a personal choice to persue that occupation. Then it became a thing to try and protect them and they have done that at the expense of the sport. I don't care if the cars don't run 200 MPH or not. If they only ran 140 or something but it was a competative race with any number of drivers being potential winners it would be more fun than what they do now. I'll continue to watch because I love racing of all types but there are times when NASCAR racing is less than enjoyable. I wish someone who had the money and interest would start a series of "stock car" racing with rules like Hunting Nut spoke of, like the olden days. See who can put the fastest car on the track Sunday.

specialk

Twelve Pointer
I don’t understand the hate of the green whit checker. Not saying I’m a fan of it, but I just don’t understand when people don’t like that to finish a race. They used to finish races under a caution lap.

If you had the lead with 3 to go and they couldn’t get the track cleaned up in time, you won. The man in 2nd had no chance, atleast with the Green White Checker, he’s got a shot.

I like the G/W/C....i dont like ending under caution--never did....i wish they would keep lining them up till they get it right....i get it though....i hate sitting there 4 hrs watching them run 190 and then crossing the finish line behind the pace car at 55.....

specialk

Twelve Pointer
Side note about the race.......before the race we were sitting watching pre show....i look out over toward lake lloyd and see a fairly large bird flying toward us, looked like he had something in its claw.....it kept coming straight at us, finally saw it had a huge fish and it was a bald eagle!.....

specialk

Twelve Pointer
I get the folks that use to like nascar years ago but dont now....im the same way with all the changes over the years in football and baseball, i pretty much quit watching them years ago....just aint the same games i grew up with....nascars no different....

Ex Military

Eight Pointer
There was a culture war - where NASCAR had a chance to stand up to its advertisers, but wouldn't have done so from a position of strength (after Dale died). The woke saw that opening.....gambled.....and won.

NASCAR caved.

THE END
Yea, that's rite and they caved after the Wallace thing last year. They did cave with that one now.

Ex Military

Eight Pointer
They really need to change the ruling at these super speedways. Bristol...yes, Richmond, absolutely but imo at Daytona and Talladega....absolutely dumbest rule ever.
Yes they do. People go to the super speedways for the speed and the anticipation of the Big One. They go to tracks like Martinsville, Bristol and Richmond to see the possible fights at the end of the race.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Yes they do. People go to the super speedways for the speed and the anticipation of the Big One. They go to tracks like Martinsville, Bristol and Richmond to see the possible fights at the end of the race.
If that's all they are going for then they just need to park somewhere on I95 between Smithfield and Lumberton. There will be a Big One on a regular basis. If the fight is what they want just go to any club on the south side of Durham most any night after 1 AM.

Hank

Old Mossy Horns
Maybe I’m missing something, but I hear the gripe that people don’t like races ending under caution. Races have ended under caution for years. If I remember correctly, Dale Sr won his only 500 under caution. The G/W/C atleast gives you a chance at the end for a racing finish. It’s up to the racers to not wreck. I wonder how many races ended up finishing following the pace car around the track.

specialk

Twelve Pointer
Maybe I’m missing something, but I hear the gripe that people don’t like races ending under caution. Races have ended under caution for years. If I remember correctly, Dale Sr won his only 500 under caution. The G/W/C atleast gives you a chance at the end for a racing finish. It’s up to the racers to not wreck. I wonder how many races ended up finishing following the pace car around the track.

Yes they end under caution and no i dont like....but i get it.......on to Vegas!!

Ex Military

Eight Pointer
Yes he did. 1998

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns

I'd like to see those out front race to the checker, but I get the safety aspect of it. I don't remember when the rule was changed or if an actual crash occurred, but they were concerned with cars moving at speed past stalled cars on the course.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
I'd like to see those out front race to the checker, but I get the safety aspect of it. I don't remember when the rule was changed or if an actual crash occurred, but they were concerned with cars moving at speed past stalled cars on the course.

Main incident was Dale Jarrett afraid he was gonna be run over sitting in the middle of the front stretch in Michigan. circa '92 or '93, I believe.
He was skeered. :skeerd::skeerd::skeerd::panic::panic::panic:

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
When I was a kid I really enjoyed National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR). I read a while back that those cars (Gen1 and Gen2) were pretty much at least 92% STOCK. The changes that were made were essentially for driver safety (eg. roll cages). It was fun to see all sorts of cars that you could essentially buy at your local dealer running those races on Sunday.

Now ... ppppffffffffftttt ... they only run 3? "manufacturers" and only way you can tell what "kind" of ASSCAR car it is, is by the stickers they put on it.

specialk

Twelve Pointer
Main incident was Dale Jarrett afraid he was gonna be run over sitting in the middle of the front stretch in Michigan. circa '92 or '93, I believe.
He was skeered. :skeerd::skeerd::skeerd::panic::panic::panic:

the reason was even though the caution was waving everybody that had gotten lapped was flying trying to catch the leader who would slow down waiting for the pace car to pick him up...if the recently lapped cars could get by him before he got to the pacer they got the lap back...most time the leader would slow down and let them pass...gentleman's agreement....thats where lucky dog and wave around was born