NASCAR is dead to me

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Looks like they are going to be opening new venues and closing old ones....moving to partially electric cars...and embracing road racing.

If I were still watching that garbage I would stop. But since I stopped many years ago, I'll just continue to not watch and to bitch about it. :)

Sorry @NCST8GUY . Not a fan of the new metrosexual NASCAR. Dale Sr would be so embarrassed.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Drifted away from it years ago as well...a tightly packed group of cars going around and around and around in a track, with about the only real game changers being car problems and wrecks
:)

PS:
And in a similar vein, my thanks to "kapernick" for starting his childish kneeling thing which drove me away / ended my spending time watching NFL games
:)

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
You just wonder how deep they gonna sink themselves before its over. They deserve what they been getting and what they will get especially if they take more races away from certain areas. Heck let em move while series out west then maybe they'll sink and someone with common sense could run it

timber

Twelve Pointer
Never liked road races when i was somewhat a fan. Use to go to richmond or darlington some but mainly liked on tv better. The beer was lot cheaper at home and didnt have deal with the drunks. After Dale sr died to me a lot of racing was lost. And now with all the rule changes i have very little interest

Last edited:

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Looks like they are going to be opening new venues and closing old ones....moving to partially electric cars...and embracing road racing.

If I were still watching that garbage I would stop. But since I stopped many years ago, I'll just continue to not watch and to bitch about it. :)

Sorry @NCST8GUY . Not a fan of the new metrosexual NASCAR. Dale Sr would be so embarrassed.

This has to be one of the dumbest ideas I've heard of. Street racing?

These cars are NOT built for that. Rather the exact opposite. They really broke the golden egg.

Hybrids? I'm not completely 100% against that IF, it keeps pit stops regular, doesn't slow the cars down etc.

If they close anymore southern tracks and move races to big liberal cities, I'm going to laugh at their collapse.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I see a new racing circuit in short order. NASCAR our and a new thing coming up. Bring back the old tracks that people loved. In a nutshell....people want to see cars running wide open, wrecks, and a little drama at the end of the race...like it used to be. Get away from some of the specs and limitations. High dollar teams win more because they have more money to throw in. Joe Blow has a hard time but he is a hometown favorite. People liked that aspect. It’s going to have to revert and get a bit smaller.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
And for God’s sake......stop letting them come up with their own nicknames.

KB being referred to as “Rowdy” reminds me of Howard’s “Rocket Man” attempt on ‘The Big Bang Theory’.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
They ruined ASCAR years ago when they stopped being STOCK cars. Now they're just lesser Indy cars masquerading as hot rod street cars.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Regarding the Dale SR thoughts on today's Nascar.

Had he lived, I honestly think by now he might have started his own series to compete with Nascar. He certainly had the fan base, investors, and popularity to make it happen.

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Taking a cultural sport out of its culture is not a recipe for success, in any sport, this is not a new concept.

Look at soccer in the United States as an example...or hockey in the SE United States. Those that enjoy it grew up in an area that had it. Trying to be inclusive to those that aren’t going to support your sport at the sacrifice of those who do support it, is a losing mans game.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Said it once and I'll say it again... RACING IS AT THE DIRT TRACKS!

Karts, Modifieds, Sprints put on a way better show. Even the Powder Puff class is better.

It's been since 2011 that I watched a race. 2009 at PIR is the last track I attended and I watched all 3 races. At that time the Trucks race was way better.

I saw the times coming over a decade ago with the COT. Then shortly following with the politics... I'll push you if you push me deal taking place among spotters and mega teams. When the 'competition cautions' started coming out i quit for good.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
If they start street racing, and this other mess, I'm done with it too. Been getting bored with it, but this is just too far removed from what NASCAR was meant to be, IMO.

Last edited:

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
NASCAR trying to be "woke" is a joke. I quit watching the idiocy that they'd become not long after Dale died. Sessions? WTH is that anyway? Run a race wideass open from the time the flag drops, wreckin' and rubbin', and see who makes it to the finish line first...

Hoss

Eight Pointer
The wife and I went to the mountain view speedway in Boone NC this past July. Quarter mile clay bullring several classes modifieds sideways in the turns. Good ole boys having a blast with STOCK cars low budget family affair. We sat with one of the drivers parents when we were setting down mostly on our feet hooping and hollaring. Ten bucks tickets good fun for all what NASCAR forgot !

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
wreckin' and rubbin'

I object to the wreckin part, at least the on purpose part like diving in the corner when there's no chance of cleanly passing and essentially playing bumper cars to bounce off another driver. Accidental hook ups do happen but there's a line drawn between rubbing and wrecking. Bumping a bumper up the track is acceptable.

We've always ran a clean race, only an idiot wants to go home with a scrap pile.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
The wife and I went to the mountain view speedway in Boone NC this past July. Quarter mile clay bullring several classes modifieds sideways in the turns. Good ole boys having a blast with STOCK cars low budget family affair. We sat with one of the drivers parents when we were setting down mostly on our feet hooping and hollaring. Ten bucks tickets good fun for all what NASCAR forgot !

Support the track and drivers. Buy their shirts. I always bought shirts from the tracks I raced and a few driver shirts.

DFisher

Eight Pointer
I say no on that. Spotters and radios are probably the safest thing that ever happened.
I respectfully disagree. Add a 1 way radio so safety info can be given to cover that aspect. Communication to the driver, but from race control, not your own guy. Take away the spotter telling the driver which lane to block.

specialk

Twelve Pointer
this is not something new to nascar.....bill france jr floated the idea back in the 80's trying to broaden fanbase.....EK0hG-BXYAAQx87.jpg

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
They ruined ASCAR years ago when they stopped being STOCK cars. Now they're just lesser Indy cars masquerading as hot rod street cars.
That's why I think they have to go to Street Races. As you said, the big money has homogenized and made the competition that much closer and tighter. When you're racing around an oval and the cars are all so close to being the same, it isn't that compelling. An F1 race on an Oval would be boring too.

This type of thing happens in sport and you have to adjust. Take Professional Hockey; the came became mundane with the advent of the Neutral Zone Trap; the NHL did some adjusting of the rules to make it a little harder, they changed the interference rule, they changed the overtime rules. It arguably saved the league, or at least kept it relevant.

It will never happen, but I think if they went back to true stock cars (Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday) it would be a lot more compelling. Make certain wheelbase/LOA and horsepower parameters, say what they can mod on the suspension and brakes, and maybe three transmission choices.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
It will never happen, but I think if they went back to true stock cars (Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday) it would be a lot more compelling. Make certain wheelbase/LOA and horsepower parameters, say what they can mod on the suspension and brakes, and maybe three transmission choices.
^ This. Plus, the ORIGINS of NASCAR was "road racing" … moonshiners running backroads ... out running each other and the law.