MZ posting 6 in two weeks?

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I think the heat has had a lot to do with it. I saw two opening Saturday and two last Saturday. Decided to just watch them instead of sweating dragging and cleaning.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Between work and a prior engagement I didn't get to go at all.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Shine

Six Pointer
Contributor
I just don't often post much for kills. Got a nice 7 pointer and doe with the muzzleloader. Passed on bunch of doe and smaller bucks trying to help a friend get his first deer (he did after a week of hunting which was nice). Now with only one buck tag left I passed on a nice 8 with the bow yesterday I rattled in. Most doe had a yearling with them so they get the pass. Seeing plenty of deer in eastern and central just need to be able to tough the heat out and put time in the stand.

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
I struck out this year with the ML, saw a couple of does and one had a very young fawn with it. Very dry and hot up here till this evening then it was very dry and not as hot.

jcannon

Twelve Pointer
I've seen a few small bucks and quite a few does. I ended up shooting a doe last Saturday and I should have shot at least one this morning but I didn't feel like doing all the work.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
I chalk it up to the Oct lull and the fact that acorns are already falling around here...but its prolly the heat. I suspect best spots are between or in the vicinity of chow and water, especially water. Not a wet branch or stream around here. Everytime I see deer they are at the ponds or working the drainage ditches along crop fields.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Weird musket season for sure up here in the mountains.
Oaks are still dropping in some places, but Long gone in others. It’s like everything is about 2 weeks behind with that hot dry weather.

We’re usually finding really good buck sign by the 2nd week of October...

This year there’s still big gangs of bucks walking together, and does are locked down on whatever feed they’ve keyed in on.

Aggravating hunting, but makes for good scouting for November.

I was lucky to find the doe I did. Sign is very scattered right now.

Can’t wait for the leaves to drop and acorns to finish so they will start to pattern a little better in the coming weeks.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
PA has the new inline season that closes today or tomorrow. I filled my two doe lottery tags with archery though and can’t carry archery gear and inline per PA’s rule so I’ll be rolling with my XBow today. Stinks because if neighborhood nuisance bear shows again he has to walk. I carried Inline during Saturday’s opener after seeing the bear circle my stand days before and being in his cache of food. I saw 4 bucks and had no bow. I might carry the Inline for rifle if I’ve got a tag left. Thought about holding a doe tag for Flintlock season but with archery they are right near the house so no rock climbing required. It was just to easy to get them out.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah even all them management units are kinda unusual with lot little rules in sure with a book to read would be easier I've been wanting to do turkey hunt up there but haven't narrowed down a area yet.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
The book confuses more than helps me anyway. The units change dates and rules a little but ONXHunt helps with unit ID. It’s the things left out of the book that are just locally known that get me. Even the new Inline is odd besides the bow/inline for doe, Bow for buck, inline for bear and don’t confuse what your hunting for even though all are in season/tags. Then throw in a youth/elderly couple days at the end with rifle allowed and they can carry a bow. That’s a head scratcher. It’s taken me a few years but think I’ve at least gotten deer/bear figured out. I still need a book for all the dates. First year I had a Fall Turkey tag I could have filled moving a stand during the 1 day season and a bear I could have killed but got dates confused. I’m better now and mark dates on a big calendar. Elk zones are a bit harder. It almost looks like the one field I had pics of a herd with 3 monsters including a 7x8 is actually the intersection of 4 or 5 zones. I could be wrong but sure looks that way. There’s like 14 zones in that one area.