My sons first buck

WNCTracker

Eight Pointer
His first day hunting 2 years ago he missed an easy shot on a doe. The gun scoped him and he got a shiner…. Not a good start to a youth hunting career. His older brother has killed two bucks and four does so he was wanting to walk in his footsteps. Unfortunately after that shot two years ago I could never get him in front of another deer despite going at least 25 times with guns and crossbow. It was crazy and just became sort of a joke that he was cursed. Finally this year on a South Carolina hunt a deer stepped out into shooting distance but it was A doe in the buck only part of the season. I had him go through the motions putting the gun up taking aim, putting his finger on the trigger guard and mentally taking the shot. Then I would make him do it again and again until he got comfortable moving into a shot without getting busted by the deer. Fast forward that evening, a deer walked through the brush that he saw before I did and he said it was a buck. I put the binoculars up and got a glimpse of it in saw it was a good buck. Like most bucks it disappeared for 30 minutes. A spike walked out with some does and told him to just wait and if the spike opportunity was passing he could take the shot, but there was a chance the nice buck was watching them to make sure the coast was clear. Sure enough, 5 minutes later the buck reappeared. He put the gun up just like he had practiced that morning, took dead aim, and dropped him in his tracks.

Attachments

• 1E258FF0-6ADA-4938-A111-1219C06DACE4.jpeg
    1E258FF0-6ADA-4938-A111-1219C06DACE4.jpeg
    227.3 KB · Views: 187

Caribou_bill

Six Pointer
His first day hunting 2 years ago he missed an easy shot on a doe. The gun scoped him and he got a shiner…. Not a good start to a youth hunting career. His older brother has killed two bucks and four does so he was wanting to walk in his footsteps. Unfortunately after that shot two years ago I could never get him in front of another deer despite going at least 25 times with guns and crossbow. It was crazy and just became sort of a joke that he was cursed. Finally this year on a South Carolina hunt a deer stepped out into shooting distance but it was A doe in the buck only part of the season. I had him go through the motions putting the gun up taking aim, putting his finger on the trigger guard and mentally taking the shot. Then I would make him do it again and again until he got comfortable moving into a shot without getting busted by the deer. Fast forward that evening, a deer walked through the brush that he saw before I did and he said it was a buck. I put the binoculars up and got a glimpse of it in saw it was a good buck. Like most bucks it disappeared for 30 minutes. A spike walked out with some does and told him to just wait and if the spike opportunity was passing he could take the shot, but there was a chance the nice buck was watching them to make sure the coast was clear. Sure enough, 5 minutes later the buck reappeared. He put the gun up just like he had practiced that morning, took dead aim, and dropped him in his tracks.
Awesome, congrats.