My first season trapping for coyotes...

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Got a bit if a late start, but had fun. Got a few days left. Been able to catch something fairly often, but mostly non target species. Finally caught my first coyote on Feb 21st on a flat set based on several trail cam pictures, and tracks showing them walking a specific spot around a mud hole. I didn't use any lure or bait, just a flat set in their trail. Caught him by the back foot, so I guess he was just walking thru.

Kinda surprised I didn't catch one on a dirt hole set. Caught almost every critter in the woods on dirt hole sets, but no coyotes. Tried a bunch of different bait, scents and lures. Varied the amounts of lure, bait and scents from very faint to moderate use with little or no interaction from coyotes. Had grey fox that was a digger, but finally caught him, and that stopped.

I do think that I had to be doing something right because I was able to catch critters in traps set for up to 10 days with no activity, or remakes, and they caught critters through all this rain and snow we've had. So at least I do have a bedding technique that is somewhat weather proof. Got more traps to get ready for next season and plan to try a couple other farms to see if I can increase my chances on coyotes.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Good on ya! Circle Sept. 25 & 26, the NC Trappers Assoc. Convention in Smithfield. Will have some good coyote folks doing demos and available to talk to along with a good lineup of trapping gear suppliers.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Good on ya! Circle Sept. 25 & 26, the NC Trappers Assoc. Convention in Smithfield. Will have some good coyote folks doing demos and available to talk to along with a good lineup of trapping gear suppliers.

I hope I'm in some western state chasing Elk, but if I'm not, I might check it out. Thanks...