My first opening day

RHStranger

Button Buck
Headed out to Bladen lakes yesterday morning and was surprised at the fact that no one was there that I could tell. Boy was I mistaken. By the time sunlight crested the pines it was like the Myrtle beach strip out there. I saw more dogs and straight piped z-71’s (which are obnoxious in my opinion and don’t sound good but that’s for another forum lol) than I’ve ever seen in one place.
I was expecting to see some dog hunters and accepted that since singletary tract is closed due to flooding but I gotta say.....I don’t get it. Everyones got their way of doing things and call me crazy but I don’t see the sport in ripping up And down the road in your pickup staring at a gps screen. I’m no avid hunter but I spent a good chunk of my childhood in the woods with my dad and uncle who taught me to respect and conserve gods creation and to disturb as little as possible to accomplish whatever it is that you’re doing there. Sorry to say I don’t see that in this group of guys. And just to be clear I have absolutely no problem with working dogs...I squirrel hunt with my dogs but I do however drag my butt out of the truck and walk through the woods. I know their are good people who hunt deer with dogs and their are exceptions to every rule maybe its just the local club down there...i don’t know ...just my opening day observation. Rant over

BLOODBROTHER

Twelve Pointer
Sounds like you are in for an ear full. somebody is gonna start ripping at you. From all the things ive read on here, IMO, your best bet is to hunt somewhere where they dont run dogs. I know for me, Id be pissed everytime a pack of dogs showed up during my hunt so I choose to not hunt in any county where there are dogs and pickups chasing them. I wouldnt even pursue a lease in those counties where i had sole rights. Dogs dont read no trespassing signs, some guys looking for their dogs dont either. Thats tough for the guys who want to still hunt there but its the way it is and its not going to change for a while.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
Dog hunting isn’t my thing either , but I do know for a fact that some huge bucks have been killed by hunters sitting in stands while dogs were running.

If you hunt an area that dogs are running in , sit tight , pay very good attention , and you just might get an opportunity at a real trophy.

Pay close attention especially after a running pack goes thru. Since mature bucks often just watch the dogs go by and then slip in behind them.

RHStranger

Button Buck
Sounds like you are in for an ear full. somebody is gonna start ripping at you. From all the things ive read on here, IMO, your best bet is to hunt somewhere where they dont run dogs. I know for me, Id be pissed everytime a pack of dogs showed up during my hunt so I choose to not hunt in any county where there are dogs and pickups chasing them. I wouldnt even pursue a lease in those counties where i had sole rights. Dogs dont read no trespassing signs, some guys looking for their dogs dont either. Thats tough for the guys who want to still hunt there but its the way it is and its not going to change for a while.
Oh yeah ..lesson learned. Im sure some won’t like what I said because “people have been hunting this way for hundreds of years” ..right ....I’m sure your great great grandpa got up before first light..grabbed his 3000 dollars worth of tracking collars and gps....hopped in his straight piped pickup and drove back and forth having no regard for anyone else, their hunt, or their property.

RHStranger

Button Buck
Dog hunting isn’t my thing either , but I do know for a fact that some huge bucks have been killed by hunters sitting in stands while dogs were running.

If you hunt an area that dogs are running in , sit tight , pay very good attention , and you just might get an opportunity at a real trophy.

Pay close attention especially after a running pack goes thru. Since mature bucks often just watch the dogs go by and then slip in behind them.
Thanks for the tip ....I am quick tempered sometimes (all the time) and have to remind myself to find the bright side and make the most of a less than ideal situation.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Them dogs good way get some daylight movement. Its public land if I had that much of issue with it I would go to non dog hunting spot wouldn't let it ruin my day.

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
I find it much harder to kill a running buck with a rifle in dense eastern NC woods than most any other way. Much more difficult and arguably more sporting than popping Bambi over a corn pile.

Good luck this season. Learn to use the dogs to your advantage and you may end up really liking them

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah you need to be hunting in the central part of the state where dog hunting is not allowed. I can tell you from experience that there is no where in the Eastern part of the NC season that dogs wont be nearby...
You can try hunting with them and once you learn where deer cross , you will be successful.
I will give you some good advice....
If you are going to continue to hunt where dogs are being used on or near gamelands then sleep in and go in late . Get on the stand around 9 and stay all day if you can wing it. ;)

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Oh yeah ..lesson learned. Im sure some won’t like what I said because “people have been hunting this way for hundreds of years” ..right ....I’m sure your great great grandpa got up before first light..grabbed his 3000 dollars worth of tracking collars and gps....hopped in his straight piped pickup and drove back and forth having no regard for anyone else, their hunt, or their property.

I feel ya pain. This has been discussed ad nauseam, but I agree with one of the other members that has stated before that while the dogs can’t read signs, the ppl that train them can. If hunters would train their dogs properly, & not run small tracts, this would be a non issue or at least a smaller problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RHStranger

Button Buck
I find it much harder to kill a running buck with a rifle in dense eastern NC woods than most any other way. Much more difficult and arguably more sporting than popping Bambi over a corn pile.

Good luck this season. Learn to use the dogs to your advantage and you may end up really liking them
I see the point you’re trying to make except for the fact that there are no corn piles or rifles on Bladen lakes. It’s ok though I’ve stewed on it a couple days now and I’m over my hissy fit :ROFLMAO: gonna take the advice I’ve gotten here and learn to use the dogs and their followers to my advantage. This is a learning season for me and day 1 was a hard lesson in “suck it up butter cup”

Last edited:

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

RHStranger, the post above is the secret advice to success when stand hunting in a dog hunting zone.

When I first started deer hunting in NC many years ago I didn't much care for dog hunting either, felt it ruined my chances of having a quiet, successful hunt. But I adjusted and over time came to realize that I could use it to my advantage; after all, there are days when the deer are just not going to move on their own, and after sitting on stand for 2 - 3 hours, I'm actually looking forward to hearing a pack coming. After all, I'd rather see a deer slipping through the woods trying to evade the dogs then seeing no deer at all.

I'll kill a deer or two each year in this manner. The local dog club and I have a gentleman's agreement that I won't complain if their dogs run across my land, and they don't get upset if I kill a deer their dogs are running.

We have these threads every season about dog hunting and how some hate it. The season's too short to be wasting time arguing about who's way of hunting is "ok". Dog hunting is a lawful activity, strongly supported in many counties, and as long as they are staying within the law there's not much to be gained by fretting over it. Just get out there and turn it to your advantage!

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Actually, man has chased hounds for thousands of years, just not in pickup trucks. Ever thought, those in the trucks were trying to keep the dogs from heading where they were not suppose to go. I hound hunt and even own hounds. The GPS is a much valuable tool used to keep the dogs under control. No, I don't prefer the straight piped trucks either, but they will keep the deer turned. That's a good thing if your on stand in the block the deer is in. There were likely standers there too, that you did not see. Also, as a note there were tracts other than the Singletary Tract where hunting with dogs was not allowed 10/13.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words.

I shot this buck a couple of years ago as he was slipping though the woods, trying to avoid the dog pack that was running a few hundred yards away. 20 yards away and he never saw me until I raised the rifle: all of his attention was focused on those dogs. I wasn't dog hunting, just cruising through my property still-hunting when opportunity came my way.

Make it work for you......

20161203_091759.jpg

Last edited:

RHStranger

Button Buck
Well guys I’ll say this...unfortunately for me the old timers in my family were long gone before I decided to start deer hunting. I came here in search of some advice (and just chaw the rag a little bit) and that’s exactly what I got. I guess I could’ve taken a more diplomatic approach to my post but hell...what’s the fun in that. I headed home Saturday with a piss poor attitude and said that I’d never go back to Bladen but after reading some of your replies I’ll be back this weekend with a better plan and a new outlook. Thanks to all of you.....even you dog hunters. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
When in Rome, do as the Romans. If that is the only area that you have to hunt, try contacting them and see if you can join in. Some of the folks that have loud trucks, straight pipes and run dogs are fine folks. You might make some new friends. If that doesn't interest you, you may try hunting another county or go on an out of state hunt.

Good luck this season.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve killed a few in front of dogs but never dog hunted. We don’t dog hunt but our neighbors do, they try to keep em off our property but it happens a few times each year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Grew up hunting with dogs and loved it. We walked into the stands along two tracks through the woods looking for crossing sign and potential spots to put the dogs out. Went off to the military and remained gone from NC for 15 years only to come back to find the new generation of dog hunters roaring up and down the roads in their 4x4's using CB's trying to cut off deer....that wasn't hunting in my estimation so we wound up finding a small club which didn't use those methods (old farts) and were able to continue with our traditional way. I will say that I've killed more deer in front of and slipping away from someone else's dogs while still hunting than from our own dogs while hunting a lease. Nothing in life remains the same forever so we must adapt.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Dog hunting not legal on y end state but there sure has been many boring day I wouldn't have minded if dogs would come through

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I dog hunted for over 20 years. Loved every minute of it. Then kids came along and the long drives to hunting clubs became a drag. Hunted from Duplin County (lived there for 8 years) to Brunswick County VA, to what is now the Northern Dismal.
I live in Wilson County now and there is only one "organized" club around a I wouldn't hunt with them again if that was the only place left to hunt. That being said, when I sold out of dogs and started still hunting the farms around home I love it. But I feel your pain as there is one "rogue" group that dog hunts in the area and they tend to end up where I hunt. No they don't have permission but I like it when they "scatter" the deer. After they hunt a few times is when I actually see more deer moving to the corners of the property and make the hunting better for me. I am probably going to try and join another dog club in the future.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Grew up hunting with dogs and loved it. We walked into the stands along two tracks through the woods looking for crossing sign and potential spots to put the dogs out. Went off to the military and remained gone from NC for 15 years only to come back to find the new generation of dog hunters roaring up and down the roads in their 4x4's using CB's trying to cut off deer....that wasn't hunting in my estimation so we wound up finding a small club which didn't use those methods (old farts) and were able to continue with our traditional way. I will say that I've killed more deer in front of and slipping away from someone else's dogs while still hunting than from our own dogs while hunting a lease. Nothing in life remains the same forever so we must adapt.

Very true. I think about every state in the south is dealing with the same issue .. Was listening to an podcast with Chuck Sykes, used to host Management Advantage on Outdoor Channel,now he’s the Director Of Wildlife In AL.. He said the same thing, the deer & other animals we hunt adapt over time or die, hunters will have to do the same. Down there, only 1 state GL can run dogs.. He simply said, I don’t want the conflict..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sp8

Ten Pointer
I live in the central part (no dogs) . Use to get a few strays come through every one in a while. When I was younger it would drive me crazy think my day was ruined but now that im older I welcome the strays, hell they keep things exciting they'll jump deer that I wouldn't have seen other wise.