My Favorite Hunt of the year

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I had few and I was lucky/able/blessed enough to take 2 decent bucks and without a doubt they were awesome hunts. The 1st buck I shot was milling around for a while so I was able to get a good bead on him. The 2nd one was bigger and my heart was racing because I wasn't sure he was going to come out into the lane. Eventually he did. Both of them DRT. 1 Euro and 1 shoulder mount.

But I think my favorite was a hunt in which I didn't take a shot. The rut was on and about 9 am (bright sunshine 50*) a couple does walked right under my stand. Followed closely by a small 4 with his nose to the ground. Seeing deer is always a good thing. At the end of the lane was an old grown in road but is was hardly visible through the brush and trees at the end of the shooting lane. The does came back about an hour later. The 4 pointer was not following. I noticed the bigger doe kept looking over her shoulder in the direction she came from.

Then I noticed some deer legs walking on the old road. Couldn't see the body or head so I wasn't sure if it was a buck or not. I noticed some more legs coming from the other direction. Then they started fighting. Antlers clashing. Snorting, stomping, and heavy breathing. Probably sounded like me eating or walking up hill. This went on for an hour and a half! My heart was past my throat and probably in my mouth. I think I had to re-swallow it a few times. All the time I was not able to see anything but legs moving around with an occasional glimpse of a body. The entire time the does just stayed put and looked towards the fighting bucks.

When they stopped fighting I thought for sure one of them, hopefully the winner of the fight and the bigger of the 2, would come to the does. I watched through the underbrush one set of legs walk back the way it came (towards my buddy's ground blind) and the other set of legs started meandering towards the does. Her he comes! It seemed to take forever but he eventually came forward. Just before it was going to step out it put it's head down. All I saw was antlers! A head shot crossed my mind but I was sure it would come to the does so I held off. Then it stood up. Alright here he comes! He took another step, and made a hard left and walked away. I caught a glimpse of antler or leg as it went off into the woods šŸ™.

I hoped either one of them would come back. Eventually the does walked off. Another half hour later the 4 pointer came back through. Then nothing the rest of the day. I was awesome.

The next week I shot the 1st of the 2 I mentioned. A few weeks after that the other one. The deer that I didn't shoot that day was either the 2nd buck I shot or another that we didn't have on camera.

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
An exciting hunt- a grunt might have worked in that case to bring that buck closer. Some of the best hunts don't end with a shot.

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I did try a grunt. After he was leaving. I'm guessing after all that battling, he just wanted a break. Even the ladies were left wondering, LOL.

BLOODBROTHER

Twelve Pointer
It was a bountiful year at the property. It was fun to see your face after the big one hit the dirt. Glad i was there for that. When does he come back from the taxi?