My 2020-2021 Season

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Was raining and water standing on Nov. 1 so I did not get any traps out on the opener. Did manage to get a few out at the home place the next day. I can check this short line between wood goat hunts and hopefully thin down the predators a little bit.

Not surprising, first catch though.....the infamous Carolina Silver Sable
IMG_20201103_113155.jpg

Followed up the next day by this fella in the remake from the possum catch..... Since he lives in Chapel Hill County, he gets a pass, no fox season here.
IMG_20201105_102336.jpg

Next customer was a big fat stinker. I do wish they did not get the red dirt mineral stain so bad. If the stripes were bright white, the pelts would be so much nicer. A novelty item on the fur market but the interest and demand for them is pretty steady. And the most valuable part of them is the smell.
IMG_20201106_122350.jpg

And the Silver Sables come in a wide range of colors too......
IMG_20201108_100357.jpg

To be continued.......

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
And finally a prime target specie. Not much fur value for our typical eastern yotes but one less appetite and set of teeth in the woods. This was a 33 lb. male that had a run in with something that took a bunch of hide of of a rear flank but was healing up nicely. Always something interesting on the trap line.
IMG_20201110_082353.jpg

BTW, this one was caught under a small persimmon tree near the edge of a picked corn field. Yotes like persimmons too!

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I think a tanned skunk pelt is actually sharp looking, I like the looks of em!

If I ever get myself in a position to take a badger, I’ll tan his hide and tack it to my wall too!!!

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Surprised that the possums have not been out in force with these rainy nights. Also surprised it took this long for a trash bandit to show up. They sure can figure out how to get all tangled up on a long drag chain.

IMG_20201113_110647.jpg

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Things are slow on the short line but it is still checked daily.

But I am making up for it while deer hunting. I have smoked 1 female coyote with the muzzle loader and 2 females with my .270, one yesterday morning and one this morning. My youngest son, QBD2 has taken out a female with the bow on 2 more females with his muzzle loader. A couple of them were in thick stuff but most were in big open woods. No rhyme or reason for where they were and not somewhere I would be setting a trap. The woods have 4 wheeler paths but they are not using them.

The only male taken so far was the one I trapped.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The short line has been dead a few days but it woke up big time last night. Rounded the corner to check the first trap and could see something bouncing from 150 yds away. Coyote on a pre hooked 10 ft. drag. While I started taking care of business, Firedog walked down the wood line to check the next trap. I looked up and he was coming back with a thumb up. Had another coyote about 50 yds away. Close enough to call it a double but could not get both in one camera shot. Umlike all the one we have shot, these were both males. Two less in the woods!
IMG_20201121_103910.jpg
IMG_20201121_105141.jpg