Muzzle loader bullets

Andrewd

Six Pointer
What’s everyone using. I’ve used Powerbelts I’ve used the shock waves and a few others. All did not leave a good blood trail. I’ve tried 100 to 150 on powder. With no luck.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Last several years I’ve used Barnes exclusively. My Omega liked the TEZ and my CVA shoots the TMZ. They expand better than the Hornady and similar at least in my exp.

The Hornady XTPs also seem to leave a good size hole.

jboi72

Eight Pointer
I used power belts when I was shooting a .45 but went to the Thompson center xtp 240gr in my .50. The power belts dropped them on,the spot almost every time and left a good blood trail when they didn't drop, the xtp leave a good blood trail too. Last year I had a xtp not expand at all and left no blood but deer only went 40 yards.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Never killed a deer with a muzzleloader but on paper the Hornady SST 250gr and a 295gr Powerbelt hollow point hoth shot well.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
My buddies and I tried Shockwaves, the 250 SSTs, the 250 and 300 grain Barnes, some with better success than others...I finally bought the .44 caliber 240 and 300 gr Hornadys, with the plain green bulk sabots...I have sighted in about 8 muzzleloaders for guys and using loose powder (Goes FFF) I could always get good groups with either 80-85 or 90grs and either the 240 or 300 gr Hornady XTPs...Funny thing is, my buddy's Omega prefers the 240s, my Knight Disc prefers the 300s...Both kill deer, I get more consistent exits but both will drop them in their tacks with high shoulder shots...

DFisher

Eight Pointer
I use powerbelts. They came with my T/C Omega, and i will shoot until i run out. They shoot great, but absolutely never a blood trail.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Hornady SSTs have done very well for me. Easy to load too, with red sabots.

For my Hawken, I shoot maxi hunters.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
XTPs for the inline and I use 777 pellets. Interestingly, If Im sighted in at 100 yards with 2 pellets adding a 3rd puts me in a nice group a few inches low at 200.

For the flint I’ve still got a bunch of Hornady Roundballs to use up. I shoot that at 50 yards mostly. It groups well but the prior owner had the patches and Goex charge weight dialed in when he died and I bought it with a kit of stuff in a box including some speed loaders and measures. I just remeasured his charges and have been rolling since. Some here run maxiballs or sabots if they have fast twists. I haven’t tried anything yet except a new aftermarket set trigger and hand knapped flint.

JLove1974

Twelve Pointer
250gr XTPs in black sabots, so I guess they're .452 diameter. I know the .44 cal 240s aka .430 ones in green sabots fly a little better.One of these days I'm gonna get off my arse and cast some Lee REAL bullets in .501 out of that bucket of stick on weights in my garage. XTPs have never failed me yet though. Most of my shots are under 75yds (woods) and 90gr of T7 just rolls deer like cardboard targets.

Last edited:

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
personally, i'd ask at tcarms.com or the t/c owners forum on greybeards
THEN someone with your EXACT gun will have the best data, regarding accuracy and powder charges
I shoot t/c maxi balls outa my .45 Seneca

Jrbrandt25

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I had one go thru a deer pencil size hole going in and out no expansion and ended up shooting it again.
That's crazy, but I guess different people have different experiences which lead them to chang there opinions, I've not had a bad experience yet , I also had that happen with powerbelt, which is why i switched. Good luck this year all