Mushrooming NC/SC?

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I sapent the day with an EPA Biologist guy years ago and he picked some oyster shrooms off a dead tree (black gum?). They smelled like fresh oysters and they were quite large. I sauteed them and they were great.

shrek

I know nothing about finding and identifying mushrooms, but my son and I are like hobbits when it comes to them. Anytime, anywhere, cooked however, we love 'em. Outback doesn't list 'em on the menu, but if you ask for them they have bushman mushrooms(fried mushrooms) as an appetizer. We can eat an appetizer apiece.

Tunanut

Ten Pointer
Morel's are just about done. You should have asked about this a couple weeks ago. I looked at the bamboo and I don't see any shoots, but I don't really know what to look for.

drq

You got some morel this year?

Morel's are just about done. You should have asked about this a couple weeks ago. I looked at the bamboo and I don't see any shoots, but I don't really know what to look for.

Jaybird

Twelve Pointer
Some friends and I just inoculated about 30 logs, half with shiitake and the other half with oyster. I got about 4 lbs of shiitakes off of some older logs a couple weeks back and expect to do that well or better again in the fall.

I am still trying to find my first morel (ever!). I went a looked for about an hour yesterday around northern Wake. I've heard lots of different tips, but can't seem to find them. Would love more pointers or to tag along with someone who has had some success.

Last edited: