Mushroom ID

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Can anyone identify these mushroom found @ Lake Keowee near Seneca, SC. I might have needed to have photographed the underbelly for a more certain ID. I don't have any intentions on eating them though since I am unsure.

Attachments

• 20220914_182346.jpg
    20220914_182346.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 20220914_182313.jpg
    20220914_182313.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 27

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Can anyone identify these mushroom found @ Lake Keowee near Seneca, SC. I might have needed to have photographed the underbelly for a more certain ID. I don't have any intentions on eating them though since I am unsure.

it looks like an American Caesar which is in the Amanita family. Can’t tell from the pic but it should have a sack like pouch where it came up from the ground. If it doesn’t have the sack at the base it’s probably an Argaric species of amanitas and not edible. Although they are edible, if it is the American Caesar, I dont simply because they are in the Amanita family which are some of the most poisonous mushrooms in the world. The Angel of Death is an Amanita and found in NC are deadly poisonous, one cap can kill you, but are easily identifiable. I find a few American Cesar’s every year and they are pretty mushrooms. The more I look at the picture the more I’m leaning towards the Argaric amanitas, usually the white pouch is pretty visible on the American Ceaser.

Last edited:

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Amanita for sure, but after Googling I can't be sure which variety from my photos. Not being an expert I am not taking any chances. ☠

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
I think we should all take the advice of the Cincinnati Children's Hospital....it's best to simply not eat wild mushrooms! Our thought leaders need to stop being so heavy handed and stop putting "safety" above all else. They use fear to take it all away! Scary stuff folks.

1663938512970.png

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I think we should all take the advice of the Cincinnati Children's Hospital....it's best to simply not eat wild mushrooms! Our thought leaders need to stop being so heavy handed and stop putting "safety" above all else. They use fear to take it all away! Scary stuff folks.

View attachment 99932

So....we should not ever eat wild mushrooms....but our 'thought leaders' (whoever the hell they are) need to stop putting safety above all else?

I think maybe folks who are afraid of foraging should just buy one of these. Only 300.00 for the unit and 12.00 per pod of wrapped up sawdust and moss.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
So....we should not ever eat wild mushrooms....but our 'thought leaders' (whoever the hell they are) need to stop putting safety above all else?

I think maybe folks who are afraid of foraging should just buy one of these. Only 300.00 for the unit and 12.00 per pod of wrapped up sawdust and moss.

The first sentence was sarcasm but it didn't come through as such....woops!

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
Here's another article where the author states, "DO NOT EVER INGEST FORAGED MUSHROOMS, ON THEIR OWN OR COOKED INTO FOOD." These people are crazy and could be doing this maliciously. Their language is dangerous and will lead to people like myself being outcast by my peers. Dangerous stuff they are doing and they are either doing it with intent or due to their own ignorance but either way it's dangerous.