Mullets

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
Love riding the Cape with kids looking for mullets. One of the best fried fish to eat if it is fresh and caught near an inlet.

Attachments

• 5A48DEAE-A6E0-4E46-AC21-5B22ABC0031D.png
    5A48DEAE-A6E0-4E46-AC21-5B22ABC0031D.png
    847.9 KB · Views: 136
  • 313FA2C0-66A6-44AF-8FCA-01CC794F33CA.jpeg
    313FA2C0-66A6-44AF-8FCA-01CC794F33CA.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Used to cast net them when i was stationed in Tampa bay area - always smoked them

Good stuff
Yeah, they were very sought after when we lived in Pensacola. That was where I got my first dose of them. Even learned to catch them on rod and reel. I have seen people throw cast nets big enough over them from bridges and they be so full that they need help pulling them up. But like many things that was over 50 years ago. I suspect that day has gone by.

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
I love them so much fried that it never crossed my mind to cook them any other way. Grilled and smoked sound delish though.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
so much fried that it never crossed my mind to cook them any other way.

you should have seen the looks on the faces of the hunt club guys (back when I hunted Anderson Creek area) when I grilled some catfish filets like they were salmon,,,,

them boys were aghast!

"catfish is for frying" they said,,,,,but they liked them grilled catfish filets!

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I grew up on fried mullet, including the roe, but had never had smoked until I moved to Florida. I think everybody who lived within driving distance of the coast had a cast net and an old gutted refrigerator to smoke mullet in. Some mighty good eatin'........

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
smoked and canned is even better. Add your choice of condiments into the jar prior to canning and you've got yourself some kinda good eating. My favorite is hot mustard, a hot pepper, wasabi, just about anything or even nothing at all.
We took a case to Michigan when we hunted the UP and we never bought a single drink at the local tavern. We supplied the canned mullet to the locals and they loved it.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Mullet heart on a hook flanked on each side by a thin strip of squid is the best yellowtail bait I have ever used.