Mt. Airy visit....

specialk

Twelve Pointer
Planning on a day trip during Christmas....never been....what should I do.....and what to avoid.....thanks!!

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Go to snappy lunch and get a pork chop sandwich.

Odell’s sandwich shop is another good eat.

I grew up there. That’s all I got. ?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Set your expectations low and you should be ok, don't expect it to look like Mayberry nor the folks to act like Andy and Barney.
I live just below there and it's a nice little town with a bunch of good folks but no different than 1000's of other little towns.

guyo

Ten Pointer
13 bones is a good place for dinner or supper , Olympia family restaurant is a good place for breakfast.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
13 bones is a good place for dinner or supper ,.

^^THIS !!

old downtown has been re-built into many nice lil shops and cafes....we did one side, one day until bout 2 or 3pm then caught trout in the river there. Then did the other side of the street the next day until lunch time, then went and caught more trout.
There is a cool sporting goods store on the N side of town, old timey, got hardware too, etc.

guyo

Ten Pointer
yes downtown is nice stop at the pie place they have every pie under the sun plus much more in the sweet department. lol

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
What about the pickles?
Pickles? I've only lived in the area for a year and a half so I sure don't know as much as, say Eric but I don't know of anyplace in Mount Airy specializing in pickles. There is a place in Pilot Mountain....err. Mount Pilot that makes pickles and has a pretty goo reputation. I don't know idf they have a storefront though.

Lance

guyo

Ten Pointer
Miss angels Heavenly pies. Remembered the name, North State winery is on other side of main street.

Jaybird

Twelve Pointer
Little Richard’s BBQ is pretty good as is 13 Bones. There is a restaurant in nearby Dobson called The Depot that is also worth a visit. They also have some taxidermy to look at if you have to wait.

A drive to the top of Pilot Mountain is a good side trip for some nice views. Mt Airy also has the largest open granite mine in the world (or so I’ve been told). Not something you tour exactly but a local drove me up to an overlook and it’s interesting to watch them mine for a bit.

Shelton Winery
Blue Ridge Parkway is nearby
Pilot Knob Inn is a unique place to stay
Jeb Stuart birthplace
Horne Creek Historical Farm

I used to spend a fair amount of time up there for work and those are the things I remember seeing, some better than others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There is a restaurant in nearby Dobson called The Depot that is also worth a visit. They also have some taxidermy to look at if you have to wait.
2nd for the Depot, try the ribs...good stuff

specialk

Twelve Pointer
Thanks guys..i'll be up in VA the week of christmas...going to the nascar hof and been wanting to go over to mt airy....ill report back first of the year.....merry christmas!

witler

Eight Pointer
Thanks guys..i'll be up in VA the week of christmas...going to the nascar hof and been wanting to go over to mt airy....ill report back first of the year.....merry christmas!
Confused, thought the NASCAR HOF was in Charlotte. Quite a drive from My. Airy and Va.

specialk

Twelve Pointer
Confused, thought the NASCAR HOF was in Charlotte. Quite a drive from My. Airy and Va.

Sorry for the confusion...ill b in va all week.....gonna do a day trip to airy....then another day trip to hof.....im 2 hours from each....just different directions.. .