Mounting a Deer

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This brings up another case in which I might mount a deer. If I were to ever kill an albino or a piebald with a LOT of white, I’d mount it. Buck or doe, doesn’t matter.

There’s also a set of horns that I have hanging in my basement that I’ll one day buy a cape for. It’s from a deer one of best friends growing up killed. He killed it on my lease in Rockingham county about 10 years ago. Sadly, a brain aneurysm took him from us just a few months after he killed that deer. After he passed his wife gave me the rack. Once I get a cape for it, it will hang proudly on my wall.
You can get him for a small fee!

Attachments

• C9E4387F-5914-483F-92E4-9C32863D012A.jpeg
    C9E4387F-5914-483F-92E4-9C32863D012A.jpeg
    53.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 783A1825-4D07-4D05-BB4B-ECBCADC6048D.png
    783A1825-4D07-4D05-BB4B-ECBCADC6048D.png
    275.8 KB · Views: 37

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Don’t tempt me.....
I’m sure I’ll regret this.... but.....
What’s the fee?
I was kidding really.... we will probably take him out this year! I plan to have the hide tanned for sure!! Most white on a piebald that I have ever seen....

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Personal preference and nothing more. Going forward I like doing my own euro mounts but I do want to try and mount one myself.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
My criteria for my next mount is either it has to be larger than my current best deer (145") or 20"+ wide or have a Unique rack.

I really like the looks of skull mounts and so does my wife.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
I have a lot of mounts on a wall in my garage. Also have several Euro mounts and a lot of antlers in various arrangements. Each one is a special memory, but the problem eventually becomes "what to do with them" when it's time to downsize your living quarters. My bride and I are at a place in life where we should downsize from the huge house and yard to a smaller place and SMALL yard. So what do I do with all these mounts of deer, elk, antelope, turkeys, and hides of coyotes and bobcats? It really is a problem that I am struggling with.
Maybe a smaller house, but with a large finished garage.....with a high ceiling and plenty of wall space?

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
if a deer is sentimental enough I’ll have it shoulder mounted (if it’s a big one)

I have a few Euro mounts on the wall, elk sheds, and a couple small skull plates that were from good hunts with family

I save all my turkey beards

Quality taxidermy does look really good, I’d like to have a few nicer works done

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’ll be honest, I’m more interested in having a Bobcat mounted than another deer. And when I get one I’m sending it to ARC @ Amy’s Animal Art Taxidermy

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
My taxidermist is too close a friend to not support his business! Mounting deer for my wife and me is a matter of loyalty and friendship. That's our story...and we're sticking to it. ;)

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This is an interesting post as I am a taxidermist. I see hunters of all levels in my shop. Some have just killed their first deer and others their uptenth big one. Skull mounts have gained in popularity a lot since I started mounting critters and are just better accepted these days than they used to be. I mount my own deer so it's not the same thing for me to do it but mostly I don't shoot a buck unless I would mount it. No.... my wall is not full of huge antlered deer but they are mature woods deer.

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
Well in my 40 Years of deer hunting I've only had one mounted, a nice Mountain eight Pointthat most you guys DownEast wouldn't even consider mounting. I always said I wouldn't mount a dear I just didn't like the look, this one was a perfect day hunting and some beautiful Woods way back from everything up high, just a great day and he was the biggest deer I'd ever got. He looks real good hanging on my dry stack white quartz fireplace. Another one would have to be something special not necessarily bigger just something special.

JoeSam1975

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have never had one shoulder mounted. Have some euros....it will have to big and/or have a special significance for me to have one mounted. Now I will mount a bobcat if I kill one and have a bear shoulder mount if that ever happens also.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
What makes one mount a deer?

In another post someone mention regretting ever mounting a deer. I have not had a deer mounted in about 12 years. The taxidermist that I use to mount my kids deer asked me this year "What would it take for you to mount a deer"?

This is something I think about a lot. I've got about 7-8 heads mounted that are basically out of sight. But I look at all the pictures and racks laying around and reflect on the hunt and someone feel I owed it a little to the mature buck to have mounted it. I have regrets that I did not mount certain deer. But then I look at the ones that are out of sight and ask why I wasted the money.

I know this ultimately is a personal decision . But, what are your thoughts on having a deer mounted?
I’ve never mounted one. Every time I think I might mount one, I always figure I’ll kill one bigger. I like doing my euros on nicer bucks though. I rarely pack ones head out, though. Too much weight. Bone saw and skull cap is lighter.
34502B4D-5727-4BDB-8C9B-990C399BE7A3.jpeg
766029C9-961B-415E-B30B-90413308CEDE.jpeg

My friends make fun of me.

I would do a shoulder mount on a nice big clean bull elk, though!!!

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I killed a deer in September I had let go the previous two years on a piece of land that I’ve been working hard on for 5 years. Going by years of trail cam pics, he was 5.5 and scored 150 and 4/8. He’ll get mounted because of the work and patience it took to kill him in his prime. There’s another on the same farm that’s 5.5 that was born here that will give the one I killed a run for his money. I have his pics from his first set to now. He’ll get mounted as well if I can kill him. At this point in life, the connection to the deer has a lot more to do with it than the size. I’ve never felt a greater feeling of accomplishment hunting than when I put my hands on the deer I killed this year. I’ll pay the money to look at him on the wall to keep that feeling fresh and my resolve strong.

c8832df7e0fdf57af42a6b29c5b76d25.jpg

0bec678b8417f6147a4264993c8514ea.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BOWHUNTER137

Six Pointer
I killed a deer in September I had let go the previous two years on a piece of land that I’ve been working hard on for 5 years. Going by years of trail cam pics, he was 5.5 and scored 150 and 4/8. He’ll get mounted because of the work and patience it took to kill him in his prime. There’s another on the same farm that’s 5.5 that was born here that will give the one I killed a run for his money. I have his pics from his first set to now. He’ll get mounted as well if I can kill him. At this point in life, the connection to the deer has a lot more to do with it than the size. I’ve never felt a greater feeling of accomplishment hunting than when I put my hands on the deer I killed this year. I’ll pay the money to look at him on the wall to keep that feeling fresh and my resolve strong.

c8832df7e0fdf57af42a6b29c5b76d25.jpg

0bec678b8417f6147a4264993c8514ea.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Amen!