Mountain Rabbit Hunt

mbh78

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Good stuff! I've lived in Wilkes and rabbit hunted Wilkes, Ashe, and Alleghany all my life and I've never seen a pheasant, other than in a pen or on a preserve.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Good stuff! I've lived in Wilkes and rabbit hunted Wilkes, Ashe, and Alleghany all my life and I've never seen a pheasant, other than in a pen or on a preserve.
That bird sure did act wild...the landowner and the surrounding landowners do not know of any being turned loose. 1 of our party hunts South Dakota all the time and he yelled ROOSTER!......

mbh78

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Oh I believe that it was wild. I have heard a few people talk about them over the years, but honestly I figured they were seeing grouse and just calling them pheasants. I haven't looked at it in a while, but they used to be listed in the regs book and had a season and limit, so there must be some around.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
it was wild

escapee from someone releasing them for dog training or such,,,

the season you refer to is still in the NC regulations,,,,not "used to be",,,mainly for the small remnant population on the outer banks but applies statewide,,,

dang invasive species that folks like to love,,,,

they are fun to hunt, shoot, and eat - I'll give them that,,,,

mbh78

Ten Pointer
Contributor
escapee from someone releasing them for dog training or such,,,

the season you refer to is still in the NC regulations,,,,not "used to be",,,mainly for the small remnant population on the outer banks but applies statewide,,,

dang invasive species that folks like to love,,,,

they are fun to hunt, shoot, and eat - I'll give them that,,,,

That's why I prefaced with "I haven't looked in a while". And you are right about the eating part, at least the pen-raised variety. They are dang tasty. Never got to try the wild/free range variety.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
That bird sure did act wild...the landowner and the surrounding landowners do not know of any being turned loose. 1 of our party hunts South Dakota all the time and he yelled ROOSTER!......
They don't take but a few days to "get" wild. They get wild or that get eaten.