Mountain Packs

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
Of those who have had multiple packs, who makes the best pack? I have could sing the praises of Mystery Ranch since that’s all I’ve had aside from store brand cheap packs.

I’m interested in EXO.

Who has had several name brand packs, and has an informed opinion.

Last edited:

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve had exo and kifaru, only tried on a stone glacier. I’m interested in the new exo k4. The one I had was light, comfortable, and twisted with you. I currently use a kifaru and it’s a tank. I think at the end of the day the durability, bag layout, and fit make the decision over the brand.

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
I’ve had exo and kifaru, only tried on a stone glacier. I’m interested in the new exo k4. The one I had was light, comfortable, and twisted with you. I currently use a kifaru and it’s a tank. I think at the end of the day the durability, bag layout, and fit make the decision over the brand.
Arn’t the majority of them, an open, single zipper pack, with a pocket or two, and a hood? If so, then we can narrow it down to caryability and durability.

Im on the edge of buying a k4. They market well.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
No. I use a 44 mag. It’s a clam shell with 3 sets of zippers so you access the bag on either side and the top without unzipping the entire bag. Both side pockets are zippered and there is no independent lid. It had a large and small external pocket on the top that acts like a lid. It’s covered with webbing for attaching additional pockets ect.
Some bags are center zip with snow collars and lids. A few of the stone glacier packs lack the side pockets and are more simple to save weight. It all comes down to how you’re going to use it.
Kifaru was a little more versatile with the ability to use a variety of bags on the same frame.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve had Kuiu, Kifaru and Stone Glacier.

Kuiu makes a decent pack but my experience they do not handle weight over 75lbs very well.

Kifaru is straight bullet proof and built like a tank. They can handle anything. But they are pricey. And I just could not get one to fit me. I found them very uncomfortable. I tried to love it but couldn’t.

Stone glacier is what I use now and have for 3 years. Fits me very well, which means it’s much more comfortable, especially with heavy loads. I like the layout of the pack I have (R3 5900).

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Love my stone glacier and the weight but I think I’d try exo next for a couple extra pockets. That’ll be a long time yet so then there will be a newest latest greatest.

*edit* I have a sky archer 6400 and a small “approach”. Big guy =big gear= big pack.

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
I’m really leaning towards the new EXO, but I can’t say that I hate the pack I have. There just seems to be something that I like about the narrower packs. My Mystery Ranch is shorter and wider than most other packs made today. Makes me think that there must be something to the taller more narrow packs, that it may ride better.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Makes me think that there must be something to the taller more narrow packs, that it may ride better.

it depends on what you are doing
the thinner/taller packs are more oriented on the mountaineering type packs
shorter and wider are more like the Alice Pack of Army fame,,,,

I have both styles, usage depended on the type of hunt I was going on

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Why type of things would you be doing to want the Alice pack? What’s it better for?

I was using it as an example only as an extreme example of the shorter/fatter packs

but to answer "what's it better for"? small, heavy loads,,, think packing out - nothing I have used is better than an ALICE pack for heavy dense loads,,, but then I am partial to them as I toted one for a lot of years and miles

but they are not ideal in other ways,,,

guess that's why I have 7 different back packs,,, and use all of them for different things - as no single pack is BEST for every situation

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
but to answer "what's it better for"? small, heavy loads,,, think packing out - nothing I have used is better than an ALICE pack for heavy dense loads,,
Man you must be built different. I had one I used to walk in bags of corn and that was plenty for me. Way to short to get any weight on your hips to carry more than 40-50lbs

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Man you must be built different. I had one I used to walk in bags of corn and that was plenty for me. Way to short to get any weight on your hips to carry more than 40-50lbs

1 - yes, most likely I am built different - 6'3" with a 33" inseam - my torso is long
2 - yes, the ALICE pack is made for "average" sized people, which I am not - but I adapted (hips isn't only place it can ride, key is getting weight off the shoulders)
3 - you'd call me a liar if I told you some of the weight I have hauled with an ALICE pack in my day,,,

but there are better out there - and some don't cost an arm and a leg - if a person only uses a pack once or twice a season then I would recommend looking long and hard at a Kelty 5500 type pack (the 5500 is no longer made)

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Of those who have had multiple packs, who makes the best pack? I have could sing the praises of Mystery Ranch since that’s all I’ve had aside from store brand cheap packs.

I’m interested in EXO.

Who has had several name brand packs, and has an informed opinion.
FWIW, bought this in Extra Large size several years ago to carry typical day-hike supplies, clothes, and a variety of photography equipment when hiking for photo ops.
The site link (below) has several good photo angles to step through...no idea what needs you actually have, just sharing in case

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
FWIW, bought this in Extra Large size several years ago to carry typical day-hike supplies, clothes, and a variety of photography equipment when hiking for photo ops.
The site link (below) has several good photo angles to step through...no idea what needs you actually have, just sharing in case

Thanks Roundball. For 90% of my tromping around in the woods locally, that would be too much except for when I’m doing all day sits. For the remainder, where I’m on a trip somewhere far away, that won’t quite get me there.
All day sits that might do the trick.

I’m actually looking for something to carry in camp, 5+ days of food, clothes and gear, then tote out an elk, deer, antelope, caribou or a bear with.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
camofire has some mysery ranch and the Badlands 2200 on sale.

for what it's worth, I brought half of a young 5 point elk out in one load with a Badlands 2200,,, a tough pack,, of course it wasn't fun, wasn't optimal, and I had to send it in for some repairs afterwards,,,, but they made it good for free

7mm-08

Twelve Pointer
Black Ovis has some good sales a few times a year also. You can get a Mystery Ranch for about $350 or so. That’s when I got mine.
And I absolutely don’t hate it. I really like it. Just got the itch to look at something else.
I’ve never tried to pack a half an elk out, but it handles quarters just fine.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I’ve never tried to pack a half an elk out,

it was the idea of my hunting partner (fellow I served with) who figured the suckness of having to come back to where I killed him outweighed the suckness of stupid weight on one trip - guess he figured we needed another selection for old age