Mountain Island Lake?

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
My brother just bought a house on the lake - I'm trying to find some info on if it is huntable for ducks or if there are any special permits required if so - anyone got some insight on this? I've heard that part of it is while part of it isn't.....haven't had much luck finding anything official.

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
There will be 50 guys hunting 15 ducks. Living on the lake will give a scouting advantage and should increase success rate but there will be a lot of pressure.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
There will be 50 guys hunting 15 ducks. Living on the lake will give a scouting advantage and should increase success rate but there will be a lot of pressure.
Yeah, I figured in that area if it was able to be hunted there would be some competition

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
I grew up on that lake. I lived there again from 2001 to 2005.
I used to duck hunt it.
Biggest problem anymore is Meck. Co side that has Latta Plantation.
Bunch of dock sitting ducks.

If you want, pm me your number and good time to call. I'll tell you anything you wanna
Know. I know the river all the way to 73 bridge.

nc35hunter

Four Pointer
It will take some work. When I lived down there, killed birds on Wylie and Norman but never hunted Mtn Island, scouted it but seemed dicey. Good luck.

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
Used to live on the lake and hunt it a couple times a week. This was well over 10 years ago and we would kill a few birds. With the right weather it can be good for the piedmont.

The whole lake is now open to hunting and has been for quite a while. Just be careful hunting up the river. If they start running water some of the pockets off the river can fill up quick.
The geese there are very easy to pattern early season.

Find acorns over the water and you may find a woodie or mallard. Don’t expect much. Hunt late into the morning.

I stopped hunting there many years ago. There will be more boats than ducks unless your hunting during the week.

That lake is patrolled pretty heavy by MR Green jeans so have your stuff in order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk