Mountain hunters

Ceehawk37

Ten Pointer
Frame packs to pack one out make life a whole lot easier than a drag out, regardless of terrain. I’d rather strap one on my back than have to drag it all the way back.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Y'all forgetting about best part we get frost before rest state I'd take less game and cooler temps any day at my age its way more about enjoying the day. I love squirrel hunting a hickory flat or ridge in Oct nothing like shaking limb, leaves falling and squirrel gravy on chilly fall evening or morning

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Frame packs to pack one out make life a whole lot easier than a drag out, regardless of terrain. I’d rather strap one on my back than have to drag it all the way back.
This is true quartering doesn't take long on whitetail Got be cut up at sometime. most the ones I kill aren't that heavy anyway I just make sure in evening I got no where to be if I'm gonna shoot so no need to he in hurry if I don't have time I just don't shoot unless its Nov and I know I can come back early. Can be tough tracking 8n rhodo thicket in dark and you know that's often near creek and downhill where they run

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I used to cadre (after completing the course) for an Advanced Land Navigation course in the mountains of West Virginia,,,,pretty fun,,,we started by teaching and then commenced to testing,,,,distances were couple of miles to the end/culmination event which was +/- 40 miles,,,,cross country stuff,,,you'd get bounced for using roads/trails,,,

terrain is your best friend,,,or your worst enemy,,,

we'd start with 200,,,lucky to get 10 to completion,,,,
Great place for that bet you heard few intetesting comments

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This is true quartering doesn't take long on whitetail Got be cut up at sometime. most the ones I kill aren't that heavy anyway I just make sure in evening I got no where to be if I'm gonna shoot so no need to he in hurry if I don't have time I just don't shoot unless its Nov and I know I can come back early. Can be tough tracking 8n rhodo thicket in dark and you know that's often near creek and downhill where they run

Just remember not to obscure the sex until it's registered with the NCWRC. I usually call it in, but sometimes cell phone service is not available back in hootin holler!!

Last edited:

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
That is a very rough, steep, thicket covered area with very harsh and steep drainages between every little ridge. The last hog I shot in there was a sow about 150 pounds. Twas rough coming out.