Motor for longtail

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I’m picking up my first boat tomorrow, it’s just a 14’ jon boat, nothing fancy. The lake I plan on hunting the most has a 10hp maximum and a lot of sunken trees and sandbars so I figure a long tail setup is a good way to go. Trying to decide what to get. I’m looking at a mudskipper longtail kit, and deciding between getting their 7hp motor or a 6.5hp predator motor from Harbor Freight. Anyone used either of these and have any reccomendations?

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I have a 6.5 hp Honda on a Mudskipper I use on a 12fter , I would go with a 10hp motor or as close as you can get on a 14fter. I may purchase a 11 hp Honda for a buddies 14 ' Jon boat If Mudskipper gives me a deal on the motor part.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I’m also not totally set on the Mud Skipper, I’ve looked at Beaver Dam and Swamp Runner as well, and I’m not opposed to them as long as they are actually worth the extra $150

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don't like any of the long tail motors. But this was on bigger boats, you have to go with bigger motors, considerably bigger. My use was generally at night. You was asking for a tiller in the ribs when you bumped something solid at the right angle with the prop or if you weren't firmly planted a swim in the dark. I much prefer the more expensive route, surface drive. But the smaller ones like you are looking at won't generate that much force when you whack something.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I don't like any of the long tail motors. But this was on bigger boats, you have to go with bigger motors, considerably bigger. My use was generally at night. You was asking for a tiller in the ribs when you bumped something solid at the right angle with the prop or if you weren't firmly planted a swim in the dark. I much prefer the more expensive route, surface drive. But the smaller ones like you are looking at won't generate that much force when you whack something.
Yep, if I was going to be running more open water or something more powerful I would 100% be going to a surface drive instead. But for what I’m going to be doing I don’t think it’s really worth the extra cash

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Anyone familiar with the process of titling/registering a boat trailer? Is it even necessary in NC?The boat came with a title but the trailer did not and the DOT’s website doesn’t seem to have clear instructions

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
Anyone familiar with the process of titling/registering a boat trailer? Is it even necessary in NC?The boat came with a title but the trailer did not and the DOT’s website doesn’t seem to have clear instructions

Yes it’s necessary.
You need the title signed and notarized over to you by whoever it’s currently titled to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Yes it’s necessary.
You need the title signed and notarized over to you by whoever it’s currently titled to

As far as I’m aware there is no title to be signed over, the previous owner said he never had a title for the trailer nor registered it.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Nope not necessary, just run it as it is. It will make for an interesting thread when you eventually get caught. :rolleyes: Why would you ask if it shouldn't be titled when I know you have seen dozens going up and down the road with tags on them? SMDH

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Nope not necessary, just run it as it is. It will make for an interesting thread when you eventually get caught. :rolleyes: Why would you ask if it shouldn't be titled when I know you have seen dozens going up and down the road with tags on them? SMDH
I’ve never paid attention to it lol. I’ve heard some states don’t require it for trailers

nchunter

Twelve Pointer
As far as I’m aware there is no title to be signed over, the previous owner said he never had a title for the trailer nor registered it.

Fill out a title application and take it to dmv along with your notarized bill of sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clark

Ten Pointer
NC WRC is specific regarding the proper form, notary, etc. for the boat

NC DMV is Extremely specific regarding the proper form, notary, etc. for the trailer. Recommend to call DMV first and have them explain exactly what they require. Even so, often, takes me 2-3 trips and the continued cooperation of the seller to make them happy. If the seller chooses not be helpful after they get they money, can be challenging.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
NC WRC is specific regarding the proper form, notary, etc. for the boat

NC DMV is Extremely specific regarding the proper form, notary, etc. for the trailer. Recommend to call DMV first and have them explain exactly what they require. Even so, often, takes me 2-3 trips and the continued cooperation of the seller to make them happy. If the seller chooses not be helpful after they get they money, can be challenging.
Yeah I talked to the license plate agency today and they werent able to tell me anything and referred me to the state inspectors office, who apparently is only open Tuesday-Thursday 8-10...

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Yeah I talked to the license plate agency today and they werent able to tell me anything and referred me to the state inspectors office, who apparently is only open Tuesday-Thursday 8-10...
Welcome to the efficiency of NC DMV. On the other hand getting a boat registered by NC WRC is generally painless.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I have a permanent tag, unused that I will sell you. Bright, new and lots of shine to it.
Bet with that no one would ever stop you or check.