Most Reliable Weather (wind) App

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
What is your most reliable app for forecasting wind direction and speed? I tend to find that Windy is most reliable but sometimes it’s just not. FishWeather is another one I’ve used, and I’ve found that if I relied solely on it I would probably never go fishing as it always seems to forecast worse conditions than actually occur. What do you use/trust?

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I've found that there just isn't one. What we essentially need is a metadata app that averages windy, fishweather, noaa, buoy, and local weather. Since that doesn't exist I do it manually.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
FishWeather...... most of the serious drum guys I know use it, as well as some of the well known charter boat captains

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah, most of the charter guys I know use Windy. Oh well, like Wildlifer I guess I'll continue to "average" them all. That said, tomorrow should be awesome. Windy says W 6-10. Fishweather says E 10-20. I guess that averages out to 8-15 from no direction. LOL

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
I’ve noticed the over prediction from time to time but it almost always nails direction and swell/timing.
Spot on. Ya it’s dead on with direction and swell. But ya it does over predict, leans a bit on the higher side. It always blows here on the obx but not as hard as fish weather says! I think the kite board shops own stock in it! It gets the boarders all jacked up!

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
Not a damn one. Been offshore way to many times to a wrong forecast. Trust me, you are just as well off to throw a dart and see where it lands!! 2-3' forecast today was 5-6' all day long. Wind was way off too.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Spot on. Ya it’s dead on with direction and swell. But ya it does over predict, leans a bit on the higher side. It always blows here on the obx but not as hard as fish weather says! I think the kite board shops own stock in it! It gets the boarders all jacked up!

well there is the EXACT same Ap that’s for surfing. Surf weather or something. Same Ap, same layout, different name

Justin

Old Mossy Horns

well there is the EXACT same Ap that’s for surfing. Surf weather or something. Same Ap, same layout, different name

fowlplay'n

Twelve Pointer
Ever used the ReefCast App from saltwatercentral.com? I’ve been using that for years and it’s usually pretty accurate.

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
Lol I think there are two or three others for kite boarding and wind surfing. Windy is really cool when there is a hurricane out there. You can toggle between the models.

Duck_Dive910

Button Buck
What is your most reliable app for forecasting wind direction and speed? I tend to find that Windy is most reliable but sometimes it’s just not. FishWeather is another one I’ve used, and I’ve found that if I relied solely on it I would probably never go fishing as it always seems to forecast worse conditions than actually occur. What do you use/trust?
If you have a Surfline premium membership (used for surfing) it typically does a good job at forecasting baseline swell/direction and buoy readings paired with the Windy app has done me right. As always it is a bit of a crapshoot but that combo has done me well over the years.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I look at multiple sites for Marine forecast to local weather boards. I then plan for it to be slightly worse conditions and am happy when it ain't, but wonder why I even went when it is much worse.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
The three i use, listed in order of confidence: reefcast, windfinder, and fish weather. I like reef cast, the line graph to me is easier to interpret and it will show secondary wave period and wave direction. Most are right 50% of the time. Usually if it says its borderline I always poke my head out of the inlet and put eyes on the conditions.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk