Mosquito spray for back yard

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
well all i can say is that the cutters i used friday is useless after a shower of rain. unwordly the bites they inflicted on me while playing with turkeys in VA.

so someone please help.

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
Look up Bifen it. Several generic varieties available online. Spray with a back pack sprayer or a Stihl mister blower. Well worth the money! You can also go the organic route with garlic concentrate.

KTMan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Bifen. Same thing as Talstar pro just minus name brand. About $50 gallon. Will last long time. Can also spray inside house for almost any insect.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There is nothing that works long term. Mosquitoes can hatch off in a tablespoon of water in your gutters. Malathion works for a few weeks. Malathion was used in the late 70s along with other insecticides that are now banned. Bifen will not work as good as Malathion. You will need to hit the big trees around your property and I mean the foliage. Mosquitoes lay up in the trees during the heat of the day and come down to feed at night. Don't plan on getting rid of them though. The mosquito is more important to the cross pollination of plants than bees are. The Dept of Agriculture are doing what they can to find a happy median. Those pesticide training classes at NCstate do help out from time to time?

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Unless you're living on a 100 acre farm, I wonder how much spraying helps. I live in a suburban neighborhood. We'll get flying ants that land in our pool. While in the pool, my wife asks if I can spray something to keep them away. I say yes but I would need to spray the whole neighborhood since they may be flying in from somebody else's yard.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Unless you're living on a 100 acre farm, I wonder how much spraying helps. I live in a suburban neighborhood. We'll get flying ants that land in our pool. While in the pool, my wife asks if I can spray something to keep them away. I say yes but I would need to spray the whole neighborhood since they may be flying in from somebody else's yard.

I have sprayed bifen and permethrin together. It makes a noticeable difference on the misquitos and other bugs. I think you would be surprised at the difference you would see by slraying your yard.

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
I've used the Cutter brands over the years and had good success with it. My back yard is fairly large (1 acre lot) so I make sure to spray under the deck, on and around all shrubs and plants and especially up into the trees. Save for a gully washer rain we've gotten a few weeks of mosquito & bug free enjoyment out of an application.