Morel mushrooms

PWR-WGN

I was out checking a few mineral sites today, and stumbled across a large patch of morel mushrooms. I love mushrooms, but have never tried the morels. In fact I really didn't even know what they were until I saw them posted by a few different folks on this site. Anything I should look for as to what is a good mushroom vs. a bad, or are they all good? How are these prepared? I brought home 6 to try, but left even more down in the woods. Thanks for any help.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Before you eat them be aware that some varieties are poisonous. Google Morel mushrooms and check out the good ones versus the bad ones.

dpoutdoor

Ten Pointer
Morels have a hollow stem, the false morels which will make you sick have a solid stem... You can fry them up breaded, but I just cut them in half long ways and sauté them in butter.

flathead977

Ten Pointer
Tell us where you left some in the woods, then we might be able to help you out. lol The morel is the only mushroom I will eat, and they are really good when battered and fried. I use House-Autry seafood breader or chicken breader. Both are good.

PWR-WGN

I checked online to make sure thats what they were, because I was a little worried about just eating a mushroom out of the woods that I knew nothing about and everything looks ok. Im pretty sure they are the real morels. Im gonna give them a try one night this week.

GrizzlyBear

Old Mossy Horns
Supposed to go for around $250/lb.

I found my first the other day.
by2abeda.jpg

Last edited:

PWR-WGN

Holy crap!! Maybe I should reconsider eating them! Haha. Im pretty sure I could scrounge up a pound of them. The ones I found looked just like those except the caps were a little darker colored.