Morehead Albie Fishing

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
My buddy and I decided to take the old men on a fishing trip with us. He brought his dad and I took my FIL. Neither of them had ever fished for Albies before so they were pretty excited.

Weather was a little rough on Saturday with winds out of the SSW at a steady 15. We managed to pull 8-10 fish in pretty quickly before the boats ran all over them. BY lunch the seas were really making things tough and the bite had slowed to almost nothing. A few fish would pop up here and there but nothing worth chasing.

Sunday was great! The winds switched to a strong 20 out of the North but it had the beach out to a mile or 2 nice and fishable and layed the swell down from the previous day. All the bait was stacked up close in so it worked well. It was a bad day to be a baitfish! We had a Cobia follow an albie up to the boat, something I have never seen in the fall. Almost had a 40lbs King jump in the boat. Got a work out on plenty of fish and had a great time.

Nice work! I was out at Cape Lookout on Saturday morning but it was too choppy and too much swell for me. I've always wanted to try that. I've got a 7wt rod, freshwater/saltwater reel, but don't know much about what sort of line I should used... I tried catching some Spanish once with a fly but it didn't go so well (used floating line i use in bass ponds).. I assume you want the line to sink quite a bit, is that correct?

highclimber

Old Mossy Horns
Fun fish to catch! They've been hanging around Surf City Pier, the last couple of weeks. Fun watchin em bust up some bait.

HC

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
I uses floating lines all the time when we are casting to breaking fish which is 90% of the time. The only time I will throw the sinking lines is if we are marking them deep on bait. A 7 wt is probably a little too light for albies though. 8 is about the smallest I go with and most of the time I throw a 10wt for the extra distance and punch in the wind.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Went offshore Saturday, wasn't bad but a real tight chop. Wahoo didn't cooperate as planned but had a little action. Ended up with one hoo, one king 4 dolphin and a cuda. Had better days but was with a good crew so we had a good time.

workennels

Eight Pointer
Nice pics and love the albies!we fished sunday morning found some fish and lots of boats.Monday was beutiful but fishing was tougher even guides were having hard time. I managed one on 7wt last year but tough on fish and me ill stick with 8wt. Thinkn about skipping rifle opener sat and going out if wind permits.

workennels

Eight Pointer
And mtnislandboy I use a 8wt tfo axiom with bvk reel and 10wt rio striper intermediate line. The intermediate line works well for me on breaking fish and fishing deeper. Its all bout what you've got used to. Core are like crack once you feel it your hooked!

Workennels, that sounds like a nice set-up. I'll have to do some looking into the intermediate line.. I appreciate the tips!

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
Intermediate lines are also nice to cast if the wind gets up. It really let's you cut through the wind with some power.
We will be back down next weekend for 5 days chasing these suckers if any of you guys are around let me know.

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
Yes i have but it was kinda a fluke. I had a Lamson Lifespeed drag fail on me last year. It was 100% coverd by warranty so problem there. Honestly though all my fly reels are about the best quality you can get and can handle much more than a 150 foot run from an albie. Nautilus, Van Staal, Upper end Lamsons, Tibor all come on the boat and are more than capable of handling anything thrown at them. My Lifespeed I melted the drag on was pretty old and had never been serviced so I was not really surprised when it seized up. Years in the salt takes a toll on even the best equipment. From now on I might start sending reel in for service every 2 years if they have been heavily used.

workennels

Eight Pointer
Quackman i live bout 45 min from Morehead ill we gona try to get out sunday and probably next week. hollar at the "Lil Gal". And Im always willing to chip in on gas and handle the boat if you ever need an extra hand.

workennels

Eight Pointer
Look like we gonna pass tommorw but weather permitting ill be going next weekend and probably be only one on boat if someone wants to go.