More progress on the LC Smith

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Finally got some time to work on the buttstock, got the bit in my teeth and am just about finished. I no longer had any alkanet root so I used red mahogany stain instead of walnut and it came out pretty good for what it is. The final shaping is done and all that remains is wet sanding with my final finish formula and dragging the slurry into the grain voids about 3 times to seal them up before doing the final coats of finish.

I have to keep reminding myself that this isn't a restoration, but a decent looking replacement for the original stock which will be the working stock while the battered original languishes in my safe.

Elsie 3.JPGElsie 4.JPGElsie 5.JPGElsie 6.JPG

Last edited:

Thomas270

Ten Pointer
I’ve seen “restorations” that didn’t look as good as your “decent looking replacement”. Good job sir, looks like it’s always been there.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
Finally got some time to work on the buttstock, got the bit in my teeth and am just about finished. I no longer had any alkanet root so I used red mahogany stain instead of walnut and it came out pretty good for what it is. The final shaping is done and all that remains is wet sanding with my final finish formula and dragging the slurry into the grain voids about 3 times to seal them up before doing the final coats of finish.

I have to keep reminding myself that this isn't a restoration, but a decent looking replacement for the original stock which will be the working stock while the battered original languishes in my safe.

View attachment 70170View attachment 70171View attachment 70172View attachment 70173
I have an Ithaca over and under with the stock broken off that I would love to have fixed. Any chance you are interested in another project? I'd pay well. Thanks

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
I have an Ithaca over and under with the stock broken off that I would love to have fixed. Any chance you are interested in another project? I'd pay well. Thanks
Might be able to help you out. Sometimes you can find the golden egg on the internet but it's rare. Send me some decent closeup pics via PM so I can get an idea what's involved. A few questions: is it all there or is some of it missing, what model; 500/600/other, do you have the forearm for grain, figure and color matching? Can't project a completion time this early on, too many unknowns. Send me your phone # via PM also if you would and your location. I get up Greensboro/Winston/Mocksville way occasionally or down 74 toward the coast on occasion as well.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
Might be able to help you out. Sometimes you can find the golden egg on the internet but it's rare. Send me some decent closeup pics via PM so I can get an idea what's involved. A few questions: is it all there or is some of it missing, what model; 500/600/other, do you have the forearm for grain, figure and color matching? Can't project a completion time this early on, too many unknowns. Send me your phone # via PM also if you would and your location. I get up Greensboro/Winston/Mocksville way occasionally or down 74 toward the coast on occasion as well.
Thank you, I'll be in touch