More Longbeard XR tests.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
These are from last week. I shot the Longbeard XR 3 1/2" #5's and the Hevi Magnum blend 3.5" that I have been using. I had to put on a new sight on my 870 anyways, so I figured I might as well shoot them side by side.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The Longbeard has a very dense core, with fewer pellets on the outer part of the pattern, while the Magnum Blend has a much more uniform pattern. Both would put a tremendous hurting on a turkey, but I believe the Magnum Blend is a little more forgiving and put significantly more total pellets in the circle.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
If u find somewhere to order the winchester longbeard 3 inch #5 or 6's, pm me. Thanks for the tests.

At 40 or more yards my guess is that the results would be a lot closer, with longbeard #6's better at 50 plus yards, but like a golfball at 10 yards.

Last edited:

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I believe I'd stick with the Hevi, judging by those patterns.

sent from wherever I is

VikingsFan8178

I tested some out this morning and the first shot caught me by surprise. My shoulder is already bruising up! I did like the patterns though.

gobblr addict

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Thanks for sharing that...Just as I figured, I'm staying with Magnum Blend, but XR is respectable and more value per shot...gobblr addict

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
These were shot through a Truglo choke. I'd like to see them at 40 and 50 yards side by side too except that 1) they are $3-$6 per shell, and 2) I don't need another beating. I promised myself once I patterned the Hevi originally, that I'd never shoot it again except for at birds. This time I mean it.:D

I think it's safe to say that at 40 and 50, the core of the Longbeard would open up, but I believe it would be easier to miss at closer ranges. You're right GA, it is more value per shot. If I was on a budget, the Longbeard would certainly be a good choice of shell for the money. It's a good value, and would be good as a backup. Shoots to the same POA.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i kept my promise on the tss stuff.

same gun same choke : great reloader, i'm not testing my arm or the loads except on a bird. :)

cklem

I've seen 2 turkeys fall victim to the long beard 3" #5 shot this year, one in Ga and one on Youth opener here. The one I killed in Ga was 55 yards. the skull was broken up, (Jelly), after skinning turkey the neck bone below the feathers was wrecked. a couple pellets in the breast but not as many as normal at that range. The second was shot at about 35 yards by a 15 year old. head and neck was complete jelly.No shot in the breast at all. Load performed perfectly.Of course most any load will kill at 35 yards. I patterned these at 20-30 and 40 yards. sure they were tight at 20. but not all that different than anything else that close. 30 yards was similar the pic on this thread, 40 started to open a little more but was not much different than 30yd.I have tested I guess every load on the market through the years. these long beards are by far the best I have patterned.