Moose's 2022 /23 hunting Log

DOCJSD

Button Buck
Well the season opener is almost upon us. We've already started baiting bears.... the baits have been out for almost 3 weeks and a few of them are really heating up. My partner has been running them daily and I suspect he'll be tagged out before I get there if things keep going the way they are. I'll be there for the second week of the season. I've got two hunting trips to Maine this fall, bear season the first week of September and then October is the Moose season. My brother as well as my friend have both drawn bull tags for zone 3 the same week in October. It should be epic.

Then we have deer season here and in Va...... both are looking good. Seeing some nice bucks but the fawn crop this year is looking pretty good. There should be a few nice does to go into the freezer this fall. Put in for my swan tag this morning....... never noticed this before but if you look on line to do it they actually tell you the odds of getting drawn...... having gotten one last year ( tag no swan ) the odds are 59%...... dang the pressure to get a tag is a lot higher then it was a few years ago. Also killing one is tougher too ..... last year we sat out all day and only one person in our group killed one..... if drawn this year the hunt will be scheduled much earlier in the season.

Well I'm fired up for hunting season. I plan to update this thread throughout the season to track the ups and downs of the "Fall Classic "
Moose, I think I saw a thread wre you were writing about the Johston County Qual & Upland Wildlife Federation banquet. Do you have a current contact for the Fedeartion and I can talk to? Interested in becoming a sponsor. Thanks! Doc

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Never made it to Maine for the spring turkey season. Busted a bridge and needed some dental work done so the trip fell through.

Looking back at the year of hunting definitely some epic trips and good times with a lot of great folks. Made some great memories and lots of great laughs along the way.
Maine this past year was challenging Bear season was good but moose season was a challenge...... in the end it like a lot of things was out of my control. ..... I still feel we had more opportunities to fill the tag but it just didn't happen despite my efforts. Hopefully I'll get to chase the moose again real soon. Be it my tag or just helping out someone else who draws.
Turkey in Maine up where we are at is challenging but still do able just so far I haven't. Fall season we were more focused on the moose and spring just didn't happen. I'm confident this coming hunting season the Maine Turkey will happen.

VA Turkey is also one I haven't been able to get as of yet. I'm working on improving habitat to hopefully get a few more on the property .
Deer season was ok ..... lost a nice buck but the good thing is so far I haven't found a bunch of bones anywhere so maybe he made it. I did kill a nice big doe and that was some good eating. Continue to work on improving my land and learning how all the critters live and move on it.

Ended my 5 years in the Halifax club when they lost some leases and reduced membership. Bittersweet because that is where I killed my biggest buck ever a few years back. I killed one buck this past season there and there is a lot of potential for nice deer in Halifax. So I guess it's good I found another club down the road in Halifax so hopefully I'll see some more big bucks in my future.

Speaking of the new club I finished out my year by tagging out on my NC turkeys in 2 mornings of hunting. The fastest I've ever tagged out. So I guess the new place looks pretty promising

Swan hunt this year was tougher then they have been in the past.... I think them birds are smarting up. I did get to kill one over water this past year which was new for me.
The only other waterfowl hunting I did was the annual trip to Arkansas for snows. .... im not sure what I like better the hunt itself or the good folks I'm with. A couple of days in a vehicle with NCST8GUY is always interesting. 😀

Well that's a wrap on 22 / 23 season and the 23/24 one is about to get rolling. Moose tag draw is tomorrow...... I'll be heading North with 1000 lbs of Peanut butter and sacks of granola shortly cause the Maine baiting season will be here b4 ya know it.
Look for my 23/24 log in near future. 😉