Moose Tacos is what we had for dinner

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Came across some moose burger in the freezer today ( JACKPOT) so it became taco Tuesday.... Moose meat is from two years ago. Vacuum seal has kept it fine. Typically it never lasts that long because it's so good and we eat it pretty quick but it was a good find. I hurt myself and there is enough for me to have it for lunch tomorrow :D

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Moose,

How would you rate moose vs. Elk vs. Whitetail? I have never eaten moose (that i know of)...

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Moose meat is the best wild game meat I've ever eaten. I've only had elk a few times but moose beats it hands down. I guess I should figure a way to go hunt elk to make 100 % sure. I've killed 3 moose all bulls and never had a bad one. I've also eaten countless meals of moose over the years and it's all good. I'll tell ya the burger is some of my favorite don't get me wrong moose tenderloin on the grill is great but I love spaghetti covered with a thick moose burger red sauce. 😋

Now I'm thinking my buddy in Maine better get drawn this fall so I can get some more moose.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
wapiti (American Elk) is better than whitetail

Moose is better than wapiti

dall sheep is better than moose

i have ate all of them

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Taco seasoning I think is a jar of McCormick. But I add extra stuff like garlic powder and variety of peppers from spice shelf. I don't get to carried away cause others might take exception ;)

Taco seasoning I think is a jar of McCormick. But I add extra stuff like garlic powder and variety of peppers from spice shelf. I don't get to carried away cause others might take exception ;)
Its looks exactly how I make tacos with whitetail. Is there fat added to the ground moose? I use the old elpaso kit though.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I will tell you about a dozen years ago my wife for work had to go to Arizona for a week in the summer. So I tagged along. I stumbled across a farmers market and I got a hold of some chili powder at that market..... dang that was some good stuff... was the secret ingredient in my chili for a few years. I had a co worker after that pick me up some chili powder in New Mexico when she was there on vacation. I'd love to explore some of the native American/ Mexican spices from the southwest.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I don't remember for sure but I typically don't have any added and just do it when I prepare it. For tacos spaghetti you don't need it. But if I'm going to make meatballs or burgers etc I add a little 80/20 burger.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
Never had elk but I have eaten moose and I’ve not had anything better that I can remember. My grandmom always canned it and would send some to us.