Moore county and electric cars!!

SomeHuntingGuy

Eight Pointer
I saw something today that was funny to me. It shouldn't have been funny. But it was.

I saw a Tesla at a gas pump. I really did a double-take. I wondered for a second if Teslas had backup gas engines. I watched for a second and the guy was taking a gas can out of his back seat. I felt bad for him because I assumed he was one of the people affected in Moore county. But I had to wonder: was he getting gas for his generator so he could charge his Tesla? Probably.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I saw something today that was funny to me. It shouldn't have been funny. But it was.

I saw a Tesla at a gas pump. I really did a double-take. I wondered for a second if Teslas had backup gas engines. I watched for a second and the guy was taking a gas can out of his back seat. I felt bad for him because I assumed he was one of the people affected in Moore county. But I had to wonder: was he getting gas for his generator so he could charge his Tesla? Probably.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
I issued a very unpopular decision for my Florida properties (80) last week, NO electric cars in underground parking OR in the garages of the properties that have them. You have an electric, park it outside or OFF the property. Should you not care for that policy feel free to MOVE!!
We'll see.....

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I issued a very unpopular decision for my Florida properties (80) last week, NO electric cars in underground parking OR in the garages of the properties that have them. You have an electric, park it outside or OFF the property. Should you not care for that policy feel free to MOVE!!
We'll see.....

is there a safety reason or do you provide the electricity as part of the rent (I'm betting the second)? Either one makes great sense to "just say no"to having electric vehicles sucking up the power that you pay for

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
is there a safety reason or do you provide the electricity as part of the rent (I'm betting the second)? Either one makes great sense to "just say no"to having electric vehicles sucking up the power that you pay for
There was a problem with flooded EV's in the last Fla hurricane shorting out across the batteries and going inferno.

I'd not want them underneath the living space either in a flood prone area.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
There was a problem with flooded EV's in the last Fla hurricane shorting out across the batteries and going inferno.

didn't know that but figured with the size / type batteries they could have safety concerns

or power consumption (on landlord provided power),,,

great reason with either one

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We'll see.....
I don't own an EV. Don't want one. But my understanding is you have to plug them into a special wall outlet in your garage each night to recharge. What other charging option is there, other than going to an offsite charging station and waiting an hour+ to recharge? Long, HD charging cord? I read where the longest available was 25'. That would not be long enough to run from the back of a garage to a vehicle outside, including slack.

If I had an EV, my answer would be to move.

DrSpeed

Eight Pointer
I don't own an EV. Don't want one. But my understanding is you have to plug them into a special wall outlet in your garage each night to recharge. What other charging option is there, other than going to an offsite charging station and waiting an hour+ to recharge? Long, HD charging cord? I read where the longest available was 25'. That would not be long enough to run from the back of a garage to a vehicle outside, including slack.

If I had an EV, my answer would be to move.
Had one while I lived in an apartment. depends on how far you drive. I charged mine at work (they had public stations) and only needed to twice a week, once for commuting the whole week, once for the weekend. if you work a stationary job (office/shop/retail) <15 miles from home, it's not that big a deal.
Electricity being part of rent is totally defensible in my opinion. Most of the new cars can need 2-3 days worth of electricity in just 8 hours.

DrSpeed

Eight Pointer

I don't know if there were enough fires to consider it high risk.

Underneath is a reasonable restriction in flood prone areas, as long as there is alternative parking out front.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy

I would imagine charging a tesla from a generator would probably not get 1 mile per hour of charge time.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I don’t see the big deal. Every time a hurricane comes my wife makes me fill the cars up. If we had an EV, I’d charge it up ahead of a hurricane and park it somewhere if wouldn’t flood.

And I’m sure the EV crowd was laughing when the colonial pipeline went down.

$#it happens. You deal with it. Folks with an EV aren’t more or less inconvenienced on the whole by this type of thing as anyone.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
As stated, the underground parking is susceptible to flooding which sets off the batteries of EV's into a fire that is difficult, almost impossible to control and even if you move it outside it has to be 150' or more from any building. I am having charging stations installed on the perimeter of the parking areas and they operate by using your credit card. I expect to see a dramatic drop in the common area electric bills.

As far as being accepted, move....... The market in FL is strong enough to support a 20/25% move factor and be 100% again within 20 days.... My new properties are pre-leasing faster than the units can be brought on line.... Woe is me.....

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
As stated, the underground parking is susceptible to flooding which sets off the batteries of EV's into a fire that is difficult, almost impossible to control and even if you move it outside it has to be 150' or more from any building. I am having charging stations installed on the perimeter of the parking areas and they operate by using your credit card. I expect to see a dramatic drop in the common area electric bills.

As far as being accepted, move....... The market in FL is strong enough to support a 20/25% move factor and be 100% again within 20 days.... My new properties are pre-leasing faster than the units can be brought on line.... Woe is me.....
They won’t move unless they have no parking at all. It’s ridiculous for them to expect other residents tk offset the cost of their driving. Though, you may not see the cost decrease you think. Charging on 120v service is slow.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
They won’t move unless they have no parking at all. It’s ridiculous for them to expect other residents tk offset the cost of their driving. Though, you may not see the cost decrease you think. Charging on 120v service is slow.
There are dedicated, and capable charging stations in the underground parking areas. They were incorporated into the original design, as were the outside stations. The inside spaces are being made inoperable and the outside stations are being relocated further away from the buildings.
There is no "lease language" that says it will be provided at all so that's under the bridge.....
EV's bring their own liability and it's something everyone in the industry is attempting to minimize, so it's NOT just me.....

DrSpeed

Eight Pointer
As stated, the underground parking is susceptible to flooding which sets off the batteries of EV's into a fire that is difficult, almost impossible to control and even if you move it outside it has to be 150' or more from any building. I am having charging stations installed on the perimeter of the parking areas and they operate by using your credit card.
Less than 1% (11 out of ~5000 in across 2 counties in FL) of the flooded EVs caught fire if you saw my article. Additionally, they recommended 15' away from structures, not 150'.
There are dedicated, and capable charging stations in the underground parking areas. They were incorporated into the original design, as were the outside stations. The inside spaces are being made inoperable and the outside stations are being relocated further away from the buildings.
There is no "lease language" that says it will be provided at all so that's under the bridge.....
EV's bring their own liability and it's something everyone in the industry is attempting to minimize, so it's NOT just me.....
Then it's not just you who are greatly overreacting. I mean, it's your property, but that rings the same tune to me as whole foods banning guns on the property.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Less than 1% (11 out of ~5000 in across 2 counties in FL) of the flooded EVs caught fire if you saw my article. Additionally, they recommended 15' away from structures, not 150'.

Then it's not just you who are greatly overreacting. I mean, it's your property, but that rings the same tune to me as whole foods banning guns on the property.
I control the operations and improvements/changes, the limit is what I say it is.... Don't like it, move.... The well being of the property comes long before some arbitrary "rule" or norm.... As a private property owner, Whole Foods can limit guns on the property and I can limit EV's..... Shop, or live somewhere else....

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
The issue you is when the battery off gases hydrogen it creates its own atmosphere. Being we know hydrogen is extremely combustible and volatile it just takes a small catalyst to get things rolling. Hydrogen detection is one of the warning signs of an impending thermal event. Hydrogen + exothermic reaction = hotter than hell. At this point all you can do is contain the event to make sure surrounding areas are not damaged. That’s all I will say about it.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
But I thought hydrogen powered vehicles were to be the next big thing.
not with Biden's agenda of getting rich using Chinese money. The Chinese own all the battery stuff, if we had cars that ran on components of water then who's going to be getting rich until the next best thing comes around.
There will NEVER be water powered cars in our lifetime.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Gotcha. I was thinking they were plugging extension cords into wall outlets.

Steelshot

Eight Pointer
There are some manufactures already offering it in nhv /testing hydrogen powered engines for highway use. Toyota recently announced they have put it in the helix and the tanks can be filled in a minute and a half. Hydrogen powered vehicles run on compressed hydrogen gas not water. A by product of burning hydrogen with atm is H2O.